The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Selling video games for obnoxiously large prices

#1LiamlandPosted 8/24/2012 9:05:36 AM
Someone's trying to sell Dragon Warrior IV (NES) on Amazon for $4,888. When I saw that I actually laughed out loud, particularly because there's no way the battery still works at this point. So even if it's sealed, it wouldn't work if it were opened.

People are big into hiking up prices on old games, because collectors are likely to pay anything.

...don't forget to get a few sealed copies of DQIX. Put them in a time capsule for 20 years and see what happens...
#2DivineFistOkaPosted 8/24/2012 9:50:58 AM
Would DS cartridges be affected by the battery issue? I'm not exactly familiar with the hardware inside a cartridge, and they are no longer transparent for us to see the inside the way GBC cartridges (and select GBA cartridges) were...

And if you think that's bad, try looking at prices (probably old, now that the DS remake is around), for FF3 NES (J). That went for a bundle. Ps1 valkyrie profile, Terranigma (SNES), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (PS2), lots of crap gets overpriced online. Remakes usually drop the price, but even then... Saw MvC2 in gamestop for 60 last christmas, no label, or manual, disk in horrible shape. And online prices would be *WAY* worse.

Earthbound (new) was pretty expensive for a while, mostly due to the very unusual box art and manual.

Was there anything odd or special about DQ4 on NES?
---
One of these days, I'll learn that 'Tone of Voice' won't carry in text... Maybe then I'll stop putting both feet in my mouth at once.
#3Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 8/24/2012 9:55:08 AM(edited)
Not much. Dragon Warrior 4's biggest price inflation point is the fact that it was released post SNES, which meant that it got a limited run.

That said, it's not 5000 bucks rare. Almost nothing is. Even if "graded".

DivineFistOka posted...
Would DS cartridges be affected by the battery issue? I'm not exactly familiar with the hardware inside a cartridge, and they are no longer transparent for us to see the inside the way GBC cartridges (and select GBA cartridges) were...

And if you think that's bad, try looking at prices (probably old, now that the DS remake is around), for FF3 NES (J). That went for a bundle. Ps1 valkyrie profile, Terranigma (SNES), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (PS2), lots of crap gets overpriced online. Remakes usually drop the price, but even then... Saw MvC2 in gamestop for 60 last christmas, no label, or manual, disk in horrible shape. And online prices would be *WAY* worse.

Earthbound (new) was pretty expensive for a while, mostly due to the very unusual box art and manual.

Was there anything odd or special about DQ4 on NES?

If I recall correctly, DS cards use flash memory, which doesn't use a battery save backup. So while it'll eventually degrade, it's a different issue entirely.

And most of those games, while overpriced, aren't hitting something ludicrous like 1000+.

Though Earthbound's price just keeps going up. What a diehard fandom.
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#4Jaded_ZephyrPosted 8/24/2012 7:20:53 PM
That reminds me, what's up with all those "Prototype Copies" that have been selling so high? Are they really legitimate, or just Fool's Gold? Not that I'm EVER buying any of them, I'm just curious.
---
A gentle breeze blows, jaded though it may be. Is it a harbinger of peace or chaos? Only the wind knows...
#5Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 8/24/2012 11:53:26 PM
"Prototype Copy"? I'm not sure what that is.

If it's an actual prototype or beta, it's worth a decent amount to the right person. If it's a copy, it's worth far less.
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#6Jaded_ZephyrPosted 8/25/2012 8:07:02 AM
Oh yes, forgive my spelling. I meant to say "Prototype Cartridge/Disc" but I put COPY instead! My level isn't high enough to edit my own posts, so I wasn't able to fix it, and I didn't want to post twice in a row. But yeah, I meant to say "Prototype Cartridge/Disc," and I've seen some sell for ridiculous prices and I was wondering about it, that's all.
---
A gentle breeze blows, jaded though it may be. Is it a harbinger of peace or chaos? Only the wind knows...
#7ignasia7Posted 8/25/2012 8:30:05 AM
Have any links? I can't find anything, and attempting to search individual games would take too long.
---
Campaign for PT in US: http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/ ==> Two down, one to go.
PSO2 = Sexy Awesome Beast of a Game!
#8Jaded_ZephyrPosted 8/25/2012 7:36:41 PM
No, I think that the one I was talking about (forgot which one) got sold already. I was just searching randomly and "Prototype" popped up. I'll look again tomorrow to see if I can find another one, and I'll post the link here.
---
#9hatemakingnamesPosted 8/26/2012 4:40:35 AM
The amazon listing is for a new, never opened copy.......but if you ever paid that kind of money, you would never open the box.....and would never know what's inside......so this scam is genius :P
#10Iffy_JotterePosted 8/27/2012 2:21:44 AM
Liamland posted...
Someone's trying to sell Dragon Warrior IV (NES) on Amazon for $4,888. When I saw that I actually laughed out loud, particularly because there's no way the battery still works at this point. So even if it's sealed, it wouldn't work if it were opened.

Actually, I picked up a copy of Dragon Warrior 4 (NES) for , like five bucks this past may, and to my delight, the save battery works absolutely fine.
---
"The wages of sin is death... but the hours are good." ---Psycrow, Earthworm Jim cartoon