Sprite Editing

#1gamesage53Posted 11/10/2008 11:38:30 AM
are there any detailed instructions on how to do this? i downloaded some sprites, but i don't know how to replace an existing sprite with the new one, then put it back in the game.
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone! - gandob
#2bastardpoetryPosted 11/10/2008 4:34:59 PM
Go to ffhacktics.com and read the guides. (There's a link on the main page specifically for step-by-step guides). If you still need help, read through the stickies on their forums. And finally, if all of those fail to answer your questions, the community will help you out.

I'd help you out, but I only have experience doing such things with the PS version. (I'm assuming you're trying to do this on the PSP version, which I understand can be a little tricky).

---
"We've a couple of cities to destroy in the east. Tell your family I said hello."
- BP, The Chronicles of Kanbabrif Part II
#3billygotenPosted 11/10/2008 8:56:42 PM
While we're on the subject, BP, I wanted to start taking a serious look into breaking into this myself. I've been putting off asking about it for various reasons - mostly, I haven't looked into it on the forums as much as I should have and I didn't find explicit information on what I need to get started, guides on what programs to get and what I'm aiming for when I actually get to messing around with sprites. I like to have a basic idea of what I'm aiming for before jumping right in and I'm completely green as it stands.

The other concern is that the computer I have access to most often is not mine and the owner of it does not like me downloading things. I can try to get permission, but I don't know if I can pull that off. There's another computer I can get to sometimes, but I don't know how much time it takes to do a single sprite, nor do I know if the computer is going to be good enough.

So, what do you think?

---
---I type too much. Deal.---
#4bastardpoetryPosted 11/12/2008 7:56:35 AM
If I were you, I'd invest in a good flash drive. I have one that is 1GB, and that's more than enough room. I'm not too sure how much mine cost, since it was a gift, but I've heard they can be found in the $10-20 range. Basically, most of the main tools you'd need for sprite work will work "as they sit." Meaning, once they're on the flash drive, you can plug it into a variety of computers and they'd all work the same each time without bogging down any of these said computers' storage space. The programs I'm referring to are: CDMage, FFTPatcher (w/ Shishi Sprite Editor) and, um.. an image file of FFT.

The only problem I can see is that one of the programs you'd need for sprite editing is a graphics editor. Photoshop is NOT a good way to go, for reasons that are too complicated to get into now, so it'd likely be something that you'd have to download (because they're not likely to be installed on your friend's computer already). There are a few ideal programs out there, as I understand it, but I can't remember them all. I'll just tell you that I use Graphics Gale, and it's perfect. The problem, though, is that it has to be installed on the computer.

If you can convince this guy to let you install Graphics Gale, which I'm almost certain is tiny, easy to find and virus-free, and if you picked up a flash drive with.. actually, I'm going to say at least 1GB, just to be safe.. then you'd be set.

---
"We've a couple of cities to destroy in the east. Tell your family I said hello."
- BP, The Chronicles of Kanbabrif Part II
#5billygotenPosted 11/12/2008 4:36:44 PM
^ Thanks.

I actually had a good flash drive and I left it outside work one day when I was in a rush, losing my leather work portfolio, and between the drive and another binder, all the information on a pen and paper rpg system I was working on. I know I'm dumb for having it all in the same place, but I was working on the game somtimes on breaks or while I was waiting for work.

I have no idea why I didn't think of replacing it and using that.

If you can convince this guy to let you install Graphics Gale, which I'm almost certain is tiny, easy to find and virus-free, and if you picked up a flash drive with.. actually, I'm going to say at least 1GB, just to be safe.. then you'd be set.

Okay. In the past, I've been unable to download things on this computer because the owner fears viruses and such, and she has to use it for work. Even when I've been certain there's no chance of any malware, I haven't had much success. Anyway, there is another computer I can use and I pretty much have free reign on it, but I don't have access to it as much. I really, really need my own computer, but my situation is one such that I'm unable to afford that just yet.

Also, one thing I should have mentioned is that right now, I'm not as interested in patching the sprites as much as I am just making them. This might change later, but the major motivation is to get to work on a custom sprite for myself, and maybe play around with some other characters.

---
---I type too much. Deal.---
#6PIKABOMBEDPosted 11/14/2008 8:21:35 AM
Do you need CFW to change sprites?
---
I'm just a gambler... I just want to be left alone... This world is too chaotic for me. What's worse, I've lost my wings... Setzer, The Wandering Gambler... FF6
#7DominicNY18Posted 11/14/2008 8:34:59 AM
^^^Yeah
#8PIKABOMBEDPosted 11/14/2008 7:03:28 PM
Damn, I'm gonna have to do that.^
---
I'm just a gambler... I just want to be left alone... This world is too chaotic for me. What's worse, I've lost my wings... Setzer, The Wandering Gambler... FF6