Can your characters permanently die...

#1offtehdeependPosted 8/21/2009 6:45:15 PM
a la Fire Emblem? This is one of the things I hated about FE. If anyone died, I had to reset and start the battle over because I was so OCD about it. I don't remember permanent death in FF:TA, but that game is a watered-down version of this. So, can my characters die safely?
---
GT: OFFTEHDEEPEND
("the" is "teh" on purpose)
#2ShadyAlchemistPosted 8/21/2009 6:46:53 PM
Yes. Once a character is knocked out, there is a timer above their body. After that timer hits 0, they turn into either a crystal or chest.
#3offtehdeepend(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2009 6:49:45 PM
So it's phoenix down or bust, then?
---
GT: OFFTEHDEEPEND
("the" is "teh" on purpose)
#4ChristianelloPosted 8/21/2009 6:53:42 PM
Phoenix Down, Raise, Arise, Reraise, or you can finish the battle before the timer expires.

Or if they're undead, you can cross your fingers that when the counter passes 0 they revive.
---
(|)(|) Free loot, give 'em the boot.
(.) Sell at the store, go back for more.
#5ShadyAlchemistPosted 8/21/2009 6:54:26 PM
Basically. Although it works to your favor too, if you're willing to drag on a fight, you can farm enemy crystals to learn new things.
#6megafiercePosted 8/23/2009 3:19:30 PM
It's a nice balance from FE. In FE you can make a mistake or get screwed with a crit and you've lost somebody; in here you have three turns to reach and resurrect them as they sit there, immune to everything, before you lose them.

But the only thing that'll 100% rez them is a Phoenix Down. A Monk's revive will miss roughly half the time (in my experience) and Raise and Arise are faith-dependent as usual. Not to mention the Revive needing to be at a horizontal range of 1 and a vertical range of 0. Or the potential overlook of bringing characters with resurrection abilities.

In the last case, you've got three turns to destroy all your enemies. If a character is KO'd at battle's end they won't be lost forever.
---
Not only does [Smash Bros] promote violence against women - it also promotes violence against animals, and kids.~ Metamorphazone
#7Blow_My_MindPosted 8/23/2009 6:21:46 PM
The downside on Pheniox Down is its only good when a Chemist or someone with throw ability uses it. Later on in the game when your characters do die, you wont be usin Chemists youll be using tanked damage dealers. And pheniox only heals up to 11 hp most times, not enough to withstand even 1 attack.
---
Read my message again..NOW.
#8megafiercePosted 8/24/2009 8:47:33 AM
The downside on Pheniox Down is its only good when a Chemist or someone with throw ability uses it. Later on in the game when your characters do die, you wont be usin Chemists youll be using tanked damage dealers. And pheniox only heals up to 11 hp most times, not enough to withstand even 1 attack.

It's enough to reset the timer. And if you time it right you can get it off at about 80-95 CT of the dead player, so they can just run out of there once they're on their feet.
Or, you could have someone who can heal nearby as well.
---
Not only does [Smash Bros] promote violence against women - it also promotes violence against animals, and kids.~ Metamorphazone
#9emotional28Posted 8/25/2009 6:06:51 AM
Yes, they will die because they're Aging ...
---
Here she comes, walking like the world falls at her feet, our eyes meet smiling just like God was her lover
#10NangbabyPosted 8/25/2009 9:09:25 AM
Actually, I prefer Fire Emblem's system to this version. While Fire Emblem's system is less forgiving regarding deaths, the system itself is a lot easier to grasp, and you can reset the game a lot faster if you mess up. That and unlike this game, you don't go into Fire Emblem battles "blind."

Also the enemy can revive characters as well in this game, which I hate. Reviving and extra lives are the de-facto advantages a player gets against the enemy is nearly every old -school game.

It wouldn't have been bad if you had until the end of the battle to revive the characters. There are so many times when I kill an enemy character and an enemy character kills mine nearly a turn later, that both KOed characters "change" about the same time.

---
http://www.cvrpg.com/destina
There's nothing important at that URL...nothing at all.