So I need some advice...

#1Cloud_Link32145Posted 9/17/2012 3:54:07 PM
I bought and have Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 yet... somehow I have never played this game... I know... Weird. For some reason I own and have never played Valkyrie Profile 2 either... I need to go back and play that too... but I'm derailing here.

Anyway, my dilemma is this... I'm wondering if I should just pop in my PS1 copy of the game or play The War of the Lions version. I want your guys opinion as I am torn.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

Is the extra content really worth the trade of playing it on a TV (Coming from someone who would prefer to play something on console)?

If I do get War of The Lions should I go for the PSP version or since I'm going to playing it on a small screen anyway should I just play it on my iPhone 4? I played Song Summoner on the iPhone and absolutely loved it.
---
"My reality is mine alone. Come what may, I'm ready." - Cloud Strife
"We live to make the impossible possible!" - Lightning Farron
#2RjmhartPosted 9/17/2012 4:23:33 PM
Well I never played the ps1 version so I can't fully answer but I will try. I have been going through the PSP version and it's incredibly good. The big fault to the PSP/iPhone versions is the lag. What happens is you choose the action, and the game takes 2-3 seconds before the animation. I have barely noticed the lag to be honest. Some people call it a game breaker and that the PSP version of the game is not worth playing. Apparently it's worse with some spells and summons. Again, it's more of a patience thing.

As,for the game itself, it's amazing. I have beaten Grimoire of the Rift, 11 of the 13 core Final Fantasies, Reverant Wings, and a few other SRPGs. I can honestly state this game is near the top of the list. The dialog is translated in a way that reminds me a little of 12. They talk in a medieval way. Not sure how to describe. Music is really good. Story is also very good. The job system is a big draw. I got part of the way into the final chapter and started over because I was excited to try out a different build.

Yeah, I highly recommend you play it.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#3RjmhartPosted 9/17/2012 4:29:12 PM
Sorry I didn't actually answer your questions. I believe it's a matter of preference. The new version has some added scenes that seem worthwhile to me. They are fully voiced. Extra content is always a good thing. The tv vs handheld devise is more a matter of your own personal preference. The new version is available on ps3I think. Maybe it's also available for 360? Not sure what systems you have.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#4Cloud_Strife83Posted 9/17/2012 5:50:42 PM
It's better than the original, IMO.
---
Official Cloud Strife of every board!!
#5terran3999999Posted 9/18/2012 1:24:11 PM
Are you a patience person? The PSP version is known for its kinda lame lag which can drive some people mad.

And you should know there's a device, sorry can't remember the name, that lets you connect your PSP to a television which is neat.

The new content is pretty hit or miss, you only get two new special characters: one is stupidly broken, the other is a crappy inferior clone of Ramza and two new generic classes that seem more like lame gimmicks. Most of the new equipments are also restricted to the Multiplayer rewards and I'm sure we all just LOVE random drops.
/rant
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#6ZygomaticPosted 9/19/2012 5:29:52 PM
I've played both. The PS1 version is still good, but has some translation issues. It doesn't make the game bad, just a little annoying at times when you relize something just doesn't make sense.
The new jobs are pretty pointless, so that doesn't matter. The new cut-scenes and voice dialog I found a really nice surprise though.
As far as the lag when casting spells and abilities. It's HIGHLY annoying at first, but then you get use to it, so it's not a deal breaker.
#7Cloud_Link32145(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 8:53:10 PM
Well after reading more through the differences the only thing War of the Lions has that really interests me is Balthier. Is he worth playing as a special character? Are his side quest fun?

The only other special character as you can tell from my user name is Cloud but he's in both so whatever. Do they add any new content for him?
---
"My reality is mine alone. Come what may, I'm ready." - Cloud Strife
"We live to make the impossible possible!" - Lightning Farron
#8Arvis_JaggamarPosted 9/20/2012 6:15:55 AM
No new content for Cloud.

Honestly, MOST of what make WotL better is just stuff for us long time fans: better translation, animated cutscenes, new secret items and job classes, etc. The only thing that might REALLY interest you, as a newbie to the title, is the multiplayer aspect of WotL.

So: are you interested in multiplayer? Do you have anybody to play with?

-Arvis
---
PSN ID: Arvis_Jaggamar
#9terran3999999Posted 9/20/2012 7:44:33 AM
Balthier only has storyline in the very battle he shows up but as the 'leading man', he's awesome as usual.

In battle, he's one of the most broken characters you can get thanks to Barrage and his massively powerful equipment options. I find it funny that SE probably thought that by making Barrage not compatible with Dual Wield is somehow not supposed to make it broken.

Cloud is still the same crappy unit, actually even more crappier since they used the original Japanese stats this time around.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#10ZygomaticPosted 9/20/2012 6:31:00 PM
terran3999999 posted...
Balthier only has storyline in the very battle he shows up but as the 'leading man', he's awesome as usual.

In battle, he's one of the most broken characters you can get thanks to Barrage and his massively powerful equipment options. I find it funny that SE probably thought that by making Barrage not compatible with Dual Wield is somehow not supposed to make it broken.

Cloud is still the same crappy unit, actually even more crappier since they used the original Japanese stats this time around.

I actually found Cloud useful. Yea, you need to level him up a lot when you get him, but if you get his Buster Sword, his skills can do some real damage. Once of his skills... cherry blossom or something like that did 999 damage the the final boss.