Just beat this game for the first time. (spoilers)

#1NewShirePosted 10/4/2012 2:55:14 PM
Just had to come on here and say "wow," best story in any video game I've ever played. This is only the second JRPG that I've played all the way through. The first was FFVII, but I didn't really like that game very much.

What was the deal with Delita at the end though? Why did kill Ovelia? That didn't make any sense to me. It seemed like everything he did was either because he was bitter about his sisters death, or for his love for Ovelia.

Delita was a complex character for sure, but I thought I had him all figured out until the very end when he stabbed the only person he seemed to care about.
#2EfratePosted 10/5/2012 5:19:33 AM
He cared about himself only, she was merely a means to an end that he used, and like all tools when they break you throw them away. Also, she stabbed him, you don't just go "Well gee that was odd, care to have tea?" as he did his entire rise and reign, when anything that might be an obstacle present itself, if you cannot use it, kill it and move on. She was already used up.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads
#3Arvis_JaggamarPosted 10/5/2012 5:33:01 AM
I had no idea she stabbed him first when I first beat it. For years it was just a mystery why he stabbed her until I investigated it online. When I beat the game again, it was plain as day. But I guess I just didn't see the knife a) because of my crappy CRT tv I used when I was young, or b) I just wasn't looking for it at all. An incredible story shocker at the very end.

-Arvis
---
PSN ID: Arvis_Jaggamar
#4NewShire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 8:04:14 PM
Yeah, I didn't notice her stabbing him at all.
#5thinkingofwarPosted 10/11/2012 5:11:25 PM
I like to view Delita as a pawn who manages to clear the board. He has to scheme and plot and struggle and do so much for so long, that he neglects to care for what's really important.

After he gets stabbed, he returns the favor, and then, and only then, realizes what a douchebag he became.

His vengeance against the rich and powerful consumed him, and although he succeeded at what he set out to do, he was left wondering if the ends justified the means.
---
Getting Manning after Tebow is like getting a Mercedes for christmas instead of a Hyundai. -hotdog311
#6DmonreiPosted 10/12/2012 11:38:28 AM(edited)
In the PS1 version it was obvious Delita didn't care for Ovelia, in the remake they made him more human. The fact that he was willing to die for her is proof that he cared for her. In many ways the ending was like Watchmen, one hero sacrificed his humanity for the betterment of the world while the other sacrificed everything for the sake of justice, that's my only real complaint with FFT, both versions claim that Ramza was the real hero but in truth, Delita was as big a hero as Ramza was, he was just had a lot more blood in his hands.

Edit:

Since I know someone is bound to say that Ramza saved the world and Delita didn't, people need to remember that while Ramza saved it, Delita changed the world for the better.
---
Proud member of the Orange Chicken Club (OCC) and GFJrA
GFA Chat: http://gamefaqsavengers.weebly.com/chat.html
#7Patriarch105Posted 10/12/2012 11:41:04 AM(edited)
Dmonrei posted...

Edit:

Since I know someone is bound to say that Ramza saved the world and Delita didn't, people need to remember that while Ramza saved it, Delita changed the world for the better.

He changed that country for the better not the world. And with no other game past that point we can't even really be sure of that.
---
Playing SSF4:AE + SFxT
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#8thinkingofwarPosted 10/12/2012 8:46:05 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
Dmonrei posted...

Edit:

He changed that country for the better not the world. And with no other game past that point we can't even really be sure of that.

But the beginning of FFT states outright that everyone knows Delita as the hero, so it can be assumed his rule was a just and respected one.

Olan was executed before the truth could come out some 400 years after the fact. Even if the "true hero's story" can be told as stated in the end, the years of peace that regarded Delita as a hero will remain.

Alazlam seems like he's got beef and wants to clear the heretic off his family history, but will that change the minds of all these descendants of Ivalice, who didn't know Ramza or Delita personally and never experienced the fires of the Lion War?

I doubt it.

Short of bringing back the time-travel seen in optional content in the game and turning Alazlam into the villain trying to erase Delita from history, no one is going to listen or care about the report. Ramza would be honored, maybe. But Delita would still be solidified as a hero.
---
Getting Manning after Tebow is like getting a Mercedes for christmas instead of a Hyundai. -hotdog311
#9Patriarch105Posted 10/13/2012 8:47:00 AM
thinkingofwar posted...

But the beginning of FFT states outright that everyone knows Delita as the hero, so it can be assumed his rule was a just and respected one.

Olan was executed before the truth could come out some 400 years after the fact. Even if the "true hero's story" can be told as stated in the end, the years of peace that regarded Delita as a hero will remain.

Alazlam seems like he's got beef and wants to clear the heretic off his family history, but will that change the minds of all these descendants of Ivalice, who didn't know Ramza or Delita personally and never experienced the fires of the Lion War?

I doubt it.

Short of bringing back the time-travel seen in optional content in the game and turning Alazlam into the villain trying to erase Delita from history, no one is going to listen or care about the report. Ramza would be honored, maybe. But Delita would still be solidified as a hero.

I don't understand what your point was. Ivalice is the country. It says he changed Ivalice. We know he changed the country but until we see a game set after FFT we cannot say he changed the world.

As far as cloud and time traveling go. I was under the impression that when he fell into the current of magic justice in FF7 he had a hallucination. That hallucination being Ramza's world. No time travel at all.
---
Playing SSF4:AE + SFxT
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#10thinkingofwarPosted 10/13/2012 3:07:45 PM
Patriarch105 posted...

I don't understand what your point was. Ivalice is the country. It says he changed Ivalice. We know he changed the country but until we see a game set after FFT we cannot say he changed the world.

As far as cloud and time traveling go. I was under the impression that when he fell into the current of magic justice in FF7 he had a hallucination. That hallucination being Ramza's world. No time travel at all.

And with no other game past that point we can't even really be sure of that.

Implying one can't even really be sure he changed the country for the better.

As for the Cloud in Ivalice bit, I'm not certain on any confirmations by Square. I've heard that the time frame is when he falls in, but are we saying that his hallucination, amplified by the lifestream, was so powerful that it made his dream a material being in Ivalice?

Hehe, starting to remind me of FFX.
---