Wow, that last Chapter 1 fight...(Chapter 1 spoilers)

#1UltimaKeyMasterPosted 11/6/2012 12:20:33 PM
I'm sure for 99% of you, this isn't really spoilers since it's...well, Chapter 1.

Still, WOW. Good heavens, that put some emotion in me. Good thing I hadn't spoiled too much of the game before playing it, so...man, I saw that first arrow coming in the cutscene. Part of me was going "Argath...you BETTER NOT." And he did. Ohhhhhhh he did. When one of the guys we were actually going after I went "OH PLEASE GOD, TELL ME I GET TO FIGHT HIM."

"Objective: Defeat Argath!"
His ass, at that point, was grass. It's almost like I was a rage-filled Ramza, cause I kinda had him charge forward and get killed REALLY fast. Thankfully, the rest of my party was able to absolutely blitz Argath (my Aim+2 spam Archer and Fire-boosted spamming BM with some Monk action on the side) before Ramza's timer hit 0. And Delita being a target, as usual.

...So, why am I sharing this here? Meh, why not? Other than I clearly under-estimated just how good this game got. And just how much payoff comes from doing story missions after grinding for hours.
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade
#2Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/6/2012 12:40:15 PM
Yeah, it's EXTREMELY satisfying getting to kill Argath. Stupid little bastard. Zalbaag is guilty as well, however.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#3UltimaKeyMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2012 12:48:58 PM
Not only that, but before that...Milueda, was it?

Geez, I felt exactly like Ramza did at the time. I felt bad for (the first time) attempting to kill her, but realizing when she left that that was a REALLY stupid mistake to let her live. I still felt bad when I actually killed her, though.

I can't imagine how the rest of my generic party felt at the time. (And I seriously had an idea to write a short story from that Argath fight)
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade
#4ZygomaticPosted 11/10/2012 10:43:09 PM
This games does hit some emotional strings at times. It's one of my favorite games, with a great blend of story and game-play. The plot twists and turn so much that you never know what's coming.
I won't ruin the game for you, but most of the things that happen are going to be a "What the f---k?!" moments.
#5terran3999999Posted 11/11/2012 9:16:03 AM
This game does hit the emotional buttons quite well.

Minor spoilers?

And if it would make you happier? you're going get to kick that loser's ass a second time
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#6UltimaKeyMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 3:14:03 PM
terran3999999 posted...
And if it would make you happier? you're going get to kick that loser's ass a second time

...You're kidding. ='D
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade
#7WildArmPosted 11/19/2012 8:30:27 AM
UltimaKeyMaster posted...
Not only that, but before that...Milueda, was it?

Geez, I felt exactly like Ramza did at the time. I felt bad for (the first time) attempting to kill her, but realizing when she left that that was a REALLY stupid mistake to let her live. I still felt bad when I actually killed her, though.

I can't imagine how the rest of my generic party felt at the time. (And I seriously had an idea to write a short story from that Argath fight)

I'm actually working on a fanfic right now based on Argath's before/during/after encounters with Ramza and Delita. Hopefully I can remain true to the new dialogue that was put in motion for TWotL. (Maybe I can find some sort of redemption or further understanding of Argath as I go through? That remains to be seen, though.)

For some reason, even when the PSX version was released (I was 11), Algus/Argath was my favorite character in the game. Why? No idea. I'm not a narcissist lol. I just found his story interesting and thought of him and Delita in Chapter 1 as the devil and angel on your shoulders arguing with one another. Would have been interesting to see this relationship play out further than it did.

And that Chapter 1 boss fight? Wow! You couldn't have said it any better, Ultima. The dialogue instantly grips you and I found myself waiting turns so I can see more of the scene play out. Seeing Argath play with Delita's mind and kind of forcing him to see Ramza as an enemy and the two's relationship deteriorating thereafter was brilliant writing. It questions who we really are and where our loyalties lie. That's what makes FFT so great: great characters, great story, great dialogue (even if PSX dialogue was considered heavily mistranslated lol).

Also, why was Argath even on the cover of the game if he was considered a mild bump in the long run? Wonder what the devs were thinking when they decided he should be a part of it.

*Story Spoilers*

However, I felt that much of Delita's story and future was heavily influenced by both Argath and Milueda. Sort of making him see both sides of the coin and whatnot, causing him to grow into the man he becomes. Thought this would be something I would touch up on in the fanfic as well.

God, do I love this game. Probably one of the best--if not the best--FF stories ever told.
---
I Bent My Wookie
#8UltimaKeyMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 10:37:38 AM
WildArm posted...
And that Chapter 1 boss fight? Wow! You couldn't have said it any better, Ultima. The dialogue instantly grips you and I found myself waiting turns so I can see more of the scene play out. Seeing Argath play with Delita's mind and kind of forcing him to see Ramza as an enemy and the two's relationship deteriorating thereafter was brilliant writing. It questions who we really are and where our loyalties lie. That's what makes FFT so great: great characters, great story, great dialogue (even if PSX dialogue was considered heavily mistranslated lol).

Yeah...Ramza getting killed really fast put me on too much of a timer to enjoy most of the in-battle dialogue. XD

The irony of the you-wanting-to-write-a-story is that I wanted to do the same, but with my (Ramza's Party POV) generics reacting as well as Ramza and Delita. The sheer rage of my front party while the back party has to resist lashing out so they don't lose their surprise opening attack. My Ramza rushing forward in rage and getting annihilated while my party scrambles to end the fight before Ramza dies all the while Delita charges Argath. MAN, it was amazing way to end a chapter.

And this was Chapter ONE.
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade
#9heavenmagePosted 11/22/2012 12:45:37 AM
UltimaKeyMaster posted...
terran3999999 posted...

...You're kidding. ='D

He's not! You get to kill that loser again, AND it's part of the story line, so you can't miss it! Granted, it's after what, in my opinion, is one of the most infuriating battle if you're not properly prepared and it's in Chapter 4, but it was nice killing him again.
---
PSN: superucahdo
#10s_dubsPosted 12/7/2012 3:21:05 AM
4 times actually if you count him showing up in 2 Co-Op missions.
---
FFXI: Zzir Mithra DNC90 PLD90, Odin Server