better Monk support ability: Attack Boost or Dual Wield?

#1darkace77450Posted 11/27/2012 5:46:48 PM
Let's go ahead and get this out of the way: I'm not going to play a Ninja with Brawler.

Does the Attack Boost boost the Martial Arts abilities enough (if at all) to warrant its use over the ability to attack twice? And of the following, which would you choose: A Bracer for crazy damage or a cloak paired and the Reflexes* ability for crazy evasion?

Opinions welcome.

*I view the Samurai reaction ability (I forget its name) as stupidly overpowered, and thus won't be using it either way.
#2StrategyWikipedPosted 11/27/2012 6:03:51 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/63475812/710159791 ZekuMusashi's post

If you want to play the game without self-nerfing yourself, I suggest you patch it with something like FFT: Kind Of, FFT 1.3... etc. http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=53.0

Just throwing it out there because it seems relevant to your question. I don't know know if you're opposed to starting the game over, already have a patch, or whatever -- so disregard if you're not interested.
#3SyfaPosted 11/27/2012 7:06:27 PM
Somewhat situational. Attack boost is a 25% increase to the portions of the skills that use PA IIRC, which makes some things (like earth slash) quite powerful... whereas dual wield flat doubles your attacks in melee (the problem being, monks have a normal speed and average movement).

So it mostly ends up falling down to the map you're on. As for the accessories - I almost always use some form of shoes on my monks, they just don't move far enough without them, *or* a status protection item (depending on the battle) or in some cases a japa mala for the boosting of earth element. Bracers are generally alright though, your monk just wont move very far.

Why the hate against the brawler ninja though out of curiosity? Ever tried a knight skills + attack boost + mace ninja? They're pretty good.
---
Farewell Monster Hunter. The black wind howls again...
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
#4Arvis_JaggamarPosted 11/28/2012 6:34:13 AM
darkace77450 posted...
*I view the Samurai reaction ability (I forget its name) as stupidly overpowered, and thus won't be using it either way.

How could you forget the name "Shirahadori?" It's so simple. (joke)

Although back in MY day we called it "Blade Grasp."

-Arvis
---
PSN ID: Arvis_Jaggamar
#5EfratePosted 11/28/2012 8:00:46 AM
Feather mantle + reflexes geneally means immune to most physicals. Jumps, swordskills, and concentrated whatever being the exception. Its not quite 100% with how evasion is calculated but its generally just about as good as shirahadori. From the back and sides you do not get c-ev so its not as good, but still prety nice.

If you do go with reflexes mantle I say go with the two swords for melee monk, since you'll survive fine.

If you run bracer and earth clothes for earth slash then attack up is the way to go since you will not be in melee nearly ever.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads
#6Mega_TyrantPosted 11/28/2012 8:08:43 AM
Attack Boost/Bracer/Martial Arts

The most viable attack is Earth Slash so I'd throw in some Earth Clothes. Range is going to be your method of defense so Vehemence could be even better.

Dual Wield/Mantle/Reflexes

Up close melee so evasion is needed to stay alive.

At least that's how I'd do it.
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
#7terran3999999Posted 11/28/2012 3:27:28 PM
Despite the Monk being the unarmed class and is supposed to punch things to death, it really isn't built for it.

I'll go the superior Shockwave route. Innate Brawler+Attack Boost/Vehemence+Earth Clothes=crazy damage. If you're going to use Reflexes then yeah you want the Mantle otherwise Reflex will be useless.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#8Mega_TyrantPosted 11/29/2012 6:45:05 PM
I'm in agreement with terran. Assuming you're not abusing the delevel trick, I'd level as a ninja to reap the benefits of higher Speed and PA in exchange for lower HP. You'll be firing off ubsurdly powerful shockwaves from 8 panels away so you'll likely kill most thing before they can even reach you.
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
#9darkace77450(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 9:45:21 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I decided to roll with a Thief instead.