Ways of making PvP more balanced

#1SyntheticMesiahPosted 11/29/2012 6:44:06 PM
So i recently got back into this game and decided to make a few friends play with me, the new pvp in the psp version got us pretty excited, but alot of things in this game are straight up abusive so i decided to make a ban list, see if we can make the pvp not be over run by Oralndeus with Excaliburs and infinite re-raise, thats just no fun for anyone.

Anyway, here's what i got so far, we all agreed on it and such, but i'm curious about what other people think as far as should everything on it be on it and should anything excluded be included.

Unique Characters:
Orlandeau
Meliadoul
Agrias
Construct 8

Jobs:
Calculator
Dark Knight

Items:
Escutcheon II
Javelin II
Excalibur
Chantage
Tynar Rouge
Chaos Blade
Septie'me
Ragnarok
Elixers

Single Abilities:
shirahadori

Monsters:
Tiamat

now i played the old version a TON so i may still use some of the old names for stuff, and i havn't included any of the multiplayer rewards yet since none of us will have them until we start playing some games, but i know alot of those rewards will be added.
#2AlmasNo1FanPosted 11/29/2012 7:10:37 PM
i usually turn off mathematics and the special rules. :) but, to truly master the pvp you need to issue a sandbag strategy. ultimately, with the pvp, equips > abilities
---
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik
#3SyntheticMesiah(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 7:16:39 PM
AlmasNo1Fan posted...
i usually turn off mathematics and the special rules. :) but, to truly master the pvp you need to issue a sandbag strategy. ultimately, with the pvp, equips > abilities

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, but i do agree that alot of the gear is overpowered, hence the ban list, make the game skill based instead of gear based
#4EfratePosted 11/29/2012 8:58:51 PM(edited)
Ban Bathier, he is potentially more broken than Orlandu.

reflexes combined with both a mantle and a shield.

draw out wizards, martial arts ninjas. Heck wizard and ninja as base classes.

Ribbon and potentially Barette and cacushca.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads
#5Mega_TyrantPosted 11/29/2012 9:48:49 PM
The game was never PVP centered to begin with so when SE tacked on the PVP element there was no balance. When I PVPed with friends we did it with edited saves. The rules we went by.

No Deleveling
No Onion Kinght lv 8/Mime leveling
No Dark Knights
No Calculators
No special classes
Only one skillset
R/S/M must come from set job
1500 JP cap in skills
Available equipment stocked and equipped can only include items available from the outfitter
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
#6AdasheePosted 11/29/2012 10:03:10 PM
Limit Iaido to 1 or 2 swords. This skill set is always too good if you MA is stacked. Give it a risk using such a powerful skill.
Ban any items that give innates.. um .. anything, lol. Any positive status should need to be cast on.
Only generics.... even ban Ramza.
Some kind of limit on manipulating Brave/Faith.
Ban squire's Fundaments (Tanking and spamming Focus can get out-of-hand)
Limited inventory for Chemist's items.
#7RaijiniliPosted 12/2/2012 1:51:16 AM
I don't like straight-up bans in most cases.

You need to define your goal with balance. I'd say, "A greater proportion of viable options."

How about these limiting rules?
- At most one of each class.
- At most one of each skill. This means one Shirahadori user, but it also means you can have two Iaido users if they have different skills. Double Sword innate counts.
- At most one of each rare (i.e. not store-bought) item.
- At most one of each equippable status (Haste, Reraise).

The "one of each skill" restriction may need to be expanded to include skills that pretty much serve the same function, like the Orly skills.

You can still concentrate resources on Orly or Balthier, but that might not be a problem.

===

Also, have you looked at the Super Tact rules?

Limit Iaido to 1 or 2 swords. This skill set is always too good if you MA is stacked. Give it a risk using such a powerful skill.

I read this as "one or two types of swords". Iaido could be split into an offensive set (minus Kiku), and a defensive set with Kiku.