Wasn't this supposed to be an improvement on Tactics Ogre?

#1spincyclemattPosted 2/25/2013 10:23:05 AM
I had some guy flaming me the other day how dare I say TO was the best SRPG for PSP and listed FFT. I decided to pick this up on a whim at Gamestop. I'm only 3 battles in but the lack of polish, slowdown, 5 characters max? apparently although given how slow battles go its hard to imagine anymore, character portriats, everything seems demostratably worse. Was this supposed to be the creator's improvement over TO.

I'm sure the game will pick up as I move on, but this game looks incredibly rough, and not only not better than TO in appeal, but far worse. rather disappointed.
#2CryofthePlanetPosted 2/25/2013 12:53:46 PM
The original was better in several ways... Sure, this version has a few extra battles/characters and a new translation to fit the pattern of FFXII (not a fan of the translation myself), but it runs at 30 FPS with a slowdown to 15 FPS during most abilities. The PSX version was a constant 60 FPS.

Also... You're 3 battles into the game. Give it time to blossom and get better. There's no decent RPG that you can play for 20 minutes and experience everything it has to offer.
---
Check out my band! I'm the bassist :3
http://www.reverbnation.com/atdeathsbehest
#3spincyclematt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 1:18:44 PM
I'm going to stick it out. I have a lot to do for school this week so not much time to play. I really like the cutscenes and I like the sprites although I find TO's better. Ramza seems a "bit" too formal to me but it seems he has potential as a character. I'm interested to see more jobs open up so I can have a diverse team. The Final Fantasy elements are a boon to this game as well.

I shall keep going!
#4terran3999999Posted 2/25/2013 7:16:42 PM
Which TO are you comparing this too? I hope not LUCT because that game has a few years after this to look more "polished".

Comparing this to the original games and series:
-Took out the annoying alignment you need for specific classes, it seems cool on paper but for a new player that just jumped into it without knowing anything he can easily screw himself over in the long run
-The awesome ability to mix and match skillsets though I guess that's more of a FF V mechanic....
-A mixed bag but the gender of a unit actually plays into the stats

I kinda wish FF Tactics had different paths considering how TO was set up.

And there's a reason Ramza is so formal, he's the son of one of the most famous nobles of The Fifty Years War.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#5EfratePosted 2/26/2013 3:08:39 PM
I prefer either version of FFT over any of the 3 versions of TO personally. The SNES/PSX TO was obtuse enough to make FFT seem well explained, and the uselessness of large creatures and the training mechanic were horrible. It also was a bit of a let down after the original OB:MOTBQ to me, because its drastically different.

Load times on TO PSX seemed worse than FFT:WOTL to me but I haven't played that version in forever.

TO:LUCT is quite a bit easier than FFT:WOTL. The multiple paths is a nice touch and the world tarot is nice, but overall I prefer FFT. My opinion.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads
#6spincyclematt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 7:56:14 AM
Efrate posted...
I prefer either version of FFT over any of the 3 versions of TO personally. The SNES/PSX TO was obtuse enough to make FFT seem well explained, and the uselessness of large creatures and the training mechanic were horrible. It also was a bit of a let down after the original OB:MOTBQ to me, because its drastically different.

Load times on TO PSX seemed worse than FFT:WOTL to me but I haven't played that version in forever.

TO:LUCT is quite a bit easier than FFT:WOTL. The multiple paths is a nice touch and the world tarot is nice, but overall I prefer FFT. My opinion.

Tactics Ogre is only easy if you power level or use 1 or 2 busted (mostly just Ninja and you need specific setup on it) classes through the main game, otherwise remains incredibly difficult. I imagine most people who had a problem with TO being easy used a guide for everything. The post game content being easy generally I will agree with.
#7spincyclematt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 7:56:54 AM
I'm liking this game a little more, but dear god was the presentation in PSP Tactics Ogre a million times better, like NO comparison there.
#8terran3999999Posted 2/28/2013 10:30:32 AM
(mostly just Ninja and you need specific setup on it)
Uhwut?

If by setup you mean just spam Double Attack and Steelstance, then sure....

Archers were broken as hell in LUCT, Rogues too and all three are supposed to be generics.

Both games can be broken easily.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#9spincyclematt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 2:54:22 PM
terran3999999 posted...
(mostly just Ninja and you need specific setup on it)
Uhwut?

If by setup you mean just spam Double Attack and Steelstance, then sure....

Archers were broken as hell in LUCT, Rogues too and all three are supposed to be generics.

Both games can be broken easily.

Archers were not that OP. They were a tier 1 class early that fell off later and are merely good. Archers and ninjas both get WRECKED by large monsters as well so you can't just exclusively play them, and even if you could I'm sure most people are trying variety instead.

Like here's the thing, if you avoid Rogues and Ninjas PSP TO is more balanced and better in every way.
#10EfratePosted 2/28/2013 3:03:43 PM
My ninja consistently one or 2 shotted dragons and near everything else, archer was almost as bad, one ninja and one archer got me through all of ch.3 and most of ch. 4. Alone, they were all that I used because everyone else was just a drag.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads