Played both FFT PSN and FFT WoTL, what's the verdict on WoTL summoner?

#1gamerunerPosted 4/13/2013 2:55:53 AM
My experience, and most players agree, original FFT, Summoners are an excellent magic class due to Summon spell properties.

NOW....in WoTL....I noticed speed changes to many summon spells...some of which seem quite drastic.

I assume swiftness cures the problem here, but then, I never had a summoner with any other support besides Swiftness in both games, so my experiences are biased.

Anyway, from vets of WoTL, what's the verdict the new Summoner? I'd love to hear your opinions.
#2AlmasNo1FanPosted 4/13/2013 7:37:38 AM
its really not a "new summoner." wotl is true to the original japanese design of the game. when the title was brought to usa, it was essentially made easier, so wotl allows you to experience the game in its originality -- therefore, i guess i prefer that. it may be subtle, but it does add some level of challenge whether or not someone considers it minute.
---
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik
#3terran3999999Posted 4/13/2013 8:21:42 AM
? I thought it was just the raw power of the magick spells.

The WotL one is "nerfed" a bit compared to the PS one but its still pretty strong.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#4gameruner(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2013 8:56:55 AM
Holy.....

....this is supposed to be the "tough original"....?

....seriously?

Why does every SRPG have to have some tragic flaw to hurts its overall experience...

Tactics Ogre with it's insanely idiotic design choices, making something like equipping a character a chore, leveling system, redundent and shallow skill/ability choice, among others.

Disagaea....great story...HORRIBLE gameplay compared to other SRPGs. Such an overrated series....

FFT.....just the challenge. That really is the only flaw I can truly find for this game. I wish they'd pay the dudes who made FFT 1.3 and rerelease it as a PSN download or disc. I can't
figure out how to get it on my psp and I even watched the youtube tutorial.
#5RaijiniliPosted 4/13/2013 9:42:02 PM
Summon is both weaker and slower when compared to the American one.

Why does every SRPG have to have some tragic flaw to hurts its overall experience...

Eh, games will be games.

FFT.....just the challenge. That really is the only flaw I can truly find for this game.

The challenge can be explained, at least. This is an FF game, which aimed for relatively broad appeal.

Rewarding grinding is something I personally don't like. I'd punch 1SP frogs, but it's not like I have to like it.

Also, Rafalak. Agrias's off-class optimality due to her rather generic stats. Orly. Charge/Aim. There are a lot of balance issues.

Have you played Hoshigami?
#6styrrrPosted 4/13/2013 10:58:44 PM
How is Hoshigami compared to FFT? Is the DS remake any good?

I was a fan of Radiant Historia so maybe I ought to give another Atlus game a shot...
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372 8526 8441
#7lindaluvPosted 4/26/2013 9:40:09 AM
styrrr posted...
How is Hoshigami compared to FFT? Is the DS remake any good?

I was a fan of Radiant Historia so maybe I ought to give another Atlus game a shot...

Hoshigami is.. meh at best. IM a big fan of FFT and TO and most SRPGS.. the good ones anyways. BUt Hoshigami, I dont know, it just felt very plain, bland and lame... and overly complex.. but maybe I just didnt give it enough time.

If you havent already, Jeanne D'Arc is fantastic for the PSP.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Ranger) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
#8TacosnakPosted 4/28/2013 11:40:01 AM
gameruner posted...
Holy.....

....this is supposed to be the "tough original"....?

....seriously?

Tactics Ogre with it's insanely idiotic design choices, making something like equipping a character a chore, leveling system, redundent and shallow skill/ability choice, among others.

Disagaea....great story...HORRIBLE gameplay compared to other SRPGs. Such an overrated series....

FFT.....just the challenge. That really is the only flaw I can truly find for this game. I wish they'd pay the dudes who made FFT 1.3 and rerelease it as a PSN download or disc. I can't
figure out how to get it on my psp and I even watched the youtube tutorial.

1.3 is SO hard that you sometimes take 10-50 times on 1 fight just to barely win.

I think the instructions were something like:

Make ISO with UMD
Patch ISO with program + patch
Transfer to your PSP.

But, the official firmware won't work on it. Keep working on it. I basically made my PSP special for that game. Still haven't finished it.
---
PSN - Seraphtacosnak