Trying to get into this and play this but its so SLOW! help!

#1HellsingOrgPosted 4/26/2013 12:22:06 AM
So bought this for my psp at launch many years ago and never got more than 48 minutes into it.

I got angry that I couldn't skip cutscenes or large dialogue section even after I watched them once.
Or fast forward or skip enemy movements during a battle.
Then add that to the slow load times of the UMD and annoying WHIIRRRRRRING noise it makes when its being read and I just gave up on it.

I want to get back into it but I just can't even though I really want to play it.
Is there a chance of a remake or something for newer systems or a better version to play?

Any tips or help you guys can give me?
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#2styrrrPosted 4/26/2013 1:16:59 AM(edited)
I believe there is a patch that fixes that slowdown issue on PSPs. I personally play WotL on my iPod touch and the slowdown is very minor in comparison to what you have to suffer on the PSP - a shame, really. I've seen videos of the slowdown on PSPs and it really is awful compared to the iOS version's slowdown..

The patch requires you to have a custom firmware, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the rules on linking to sites outside of Gamefaqs, so I'll tell you how to search for the thread yourself via google/bing/duckduckgo (I tested this on all 3 and the thread in question with the 'slowdown patch' appears first.)

Go to a search engine and copy/paste or type in this, without the quotes: "FFhacktics WotL slowdown removal patch"

FFhacktics is a community based around FFT that mods the game in various ways; they specialize in modding the game and thus are very good at fixing the bugs. I can't say for certain how the patch works as I don't own a PSP, but the thread has 10 pages of people thanking the author. That has to count for something, right?

Hopefully that helps, but if your PSP isn't "jailbroken" or whatever it is called, you may be out of luck...
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372 8526 8441
#3TGAkumaPosted 4/28/2013 1:12:40 PM
Yeah theres a better version. The ps1 version.
#4RevenantThingsPosted 4/28/2013 4:26:05 PM(edited)

The PSP version is better in every way. Without the patch, you may have an argument. Now go away, please.

TC, there is indeed a patch that you can use to make the game run at normal speed. It makes the game 100% more playable.

This topic will help you: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/62102181
---
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf, FFT:tWotL
#5TGAkumaPosted 4/28/2013 4:53:17 PM
RevenantThings posted...

The PSP version is better in every way. Without the patch, you may have an argument. Now go away, please.

TC, there is indeed a patch that you can use to make the game run at normal speed. It makes the game 100% more playable.

This topic will help you: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/62102181

Nah, Inconsistency bugs me. I dont like that Ramza is wearing his chapter 2-3 armor in the chapter 4 cutscenes. The slow down kills it too and you cant fix it without custom firmware. Not everyone wants to put that on their PSP. Just my opinion.
#6alienhamsterPosted 5/1/2013 2:33:28 AM
With or without slowdown, the PSP version is still a better game.
---
Official Ramza Beoulve & Balthier Bunansa of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy Board.
White: 3654 2756 9294
#7RevenantThingsPosted 5/1/2013 4:58:48 AM
RevenantThings posted...

Nah, Inconsistency bugs me. I dont like that Ramza is wearing his chapter 2-3 armor in the chapter 4 cutscenes. The slow down kills it too and you cant fix it without custom firmware. Not everyone wants to put that on their PSP. Just my opinion.

That's what kills the game for you? The three cutscenes in Chapter 4? And a fixable problem that requires nothing illegal?

If you want inconsistency, you need only look at the original's script and game mechanics.
---
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf, FFT:tWotL
#8cocomungaPosted 5/2/2013 8:53:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9RevenantThingsPosted 5/2/2013 6:10:24 PM
(Forgive me for any spelling errors about characters from this version)

Some people can handle the slowdown, while others just can't stand it. I like my games speedy. Even with the patch this game still has problems. The sound effects are really messed up for one thing (unless the patch fixes this also), and I am willing to guess it doesn't fully fix the slowdown. The music is not as clear as well.

Try the PS1 FFT on a PSP. If you increase the disc load speed, the game actually loads even faster than if you played on anything else

Don't criticize the patch when you don't know what it does. It clearly fixes the problems from your first paragraph.

For the rest of your post, congrats on spoiling a major point in the game.
---
#10shadestreetPosted 5/3/2013 11:06:44 AM
Currently the iPhone has the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL as it has the following improvements:
-sound and music better than PSP
-slowdown is much less
-you can get all the multiplayer items one you beat the game for free

Additionally, supposedly once it comes out on Android they will be releasing an update for iOS to drastically improve the graphics. Someone posted pictures on the iPhone WOTL board. Looks great.