Very new to SRPGs..

#1EvilZeroPosted 5/4/2013 3:56:11 PM
I'm trying to get into this game. I have a habit of grinding, but from what I've read this will get me into a bit of trouble in this game (if I outgrind the available equipment)

I'm not good at SRPGs at all, so I'm going to have to grind. How do I go about this without going overboard and making the game too difficult later on?
---
Platinum FN: 3223 4593 3393
#2Storm_WHMPosted 5/4/2013 4:13:10 PM(edited)
You can actually hire a soldier, and use it to grind with. If your characters attack the soldier they will gain JP, but since it's a low level they will gain low EXP. This is because JP and EXP work independently of each other. This can help so you don't end up over leveling.

A good trick is to equip some character with the Knights Art of War for the Rend Power and Rend Speed. You then get into an easy fight and kill off all enemies but one, then use the abilities to drop the SPD and PA of that enemy. Then if you use Rend Power on your own characters, they will deal very low damage to that newbie soldier. It's probably best to come into battle un-armed, or even use weapon break to destroy your own characters weapons.

Then when it's time to finish the battle, just kill off the enemy. Make sure though that you can kill him off quickly, because if you lower every one of your characters PA they won't do much damage.
---
Life is hard, deal with it. Life was never meant to be easy.
#3EvilZero(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 5:48:14 PM
And what would be a good spread of characters? Such as physical/ranged/support?

A problem I've found in games like these is my physical characters cannot kill fast enough to keep foes from piercing my lines and attacking my soldiers in the back.

Does 1 healer usually suffice?

3 attackers, 2 support, and a mage? 2 physical attackers, 2 support, a mage and an archer?

I realize different situations call for different tactics, how do I know when to employ said tactics in different settings?

At the moment I have a roster full of Squires and Chemists. Should I switch a few to knights?
---
Platinum FN: 3223 4593 3393
#4Zadios765Posted 5/4/2013 6:01:37 PM
Another good strategy is getting the focus ability for all your party then kill all the enemies accept 1 the last one you get to low HP then you can corner the enemy and keep using focus for all your characters turn it gives 10 exp for everyone make sure you have a healer to because the monster will still attack I recommend having your chemist use potions when someone gets to low HP then when you run out of potions you kill the last enemy
---
My name is a secret because... It's just cooler that way
#5Equinox_OscurasPosted 5/4/2013 11:42:52 PM
EvilZero posted...

A problem I've found in games like these is my physical characters cannot kill fast enough to keep foes from piercing my lines and attacking my soldiers in the back.

3 attackers, 2 support, and a mage? 2 physical attackers, 2 support, a mage and an archer?

I realize different situations call for different tactics, how do I know when to employ said tactics in different settings?

At the moment I have a roster full of Squires and Chemists. Should I switch a few to knights?

Party Variation is honestly not too important. I've found that regardless of my Job selection, it's more than possible to claim victory in any (Save, perhaps, one battle at the end of Chapter III) situation.

I. Dark Knight with Mettle II. Ninja with Items III. Dancer with Iaido IV. White Mage with Black Magic V. Dragoon with Items.
Or...
I. Dragoon with Iaido II. Samurai with Summon III. Geomancer with Martial Arts. IV. Black Mage with Items. V. Sky Pirate {Balthier Unique} with Items
Mmm....One more.
Dark Knight with Items. Mystic with White Magic. Monk with Geomancy. Knight with Time Magic. Holy Knight {Agrias Unique} with Items.

You can use whatever feels right for you. Each job can be incredibely powerful thanks to your ability to alternate skills how you'd like.
---
Playing: Gods Eater Burst & Persona 3 Portable
"You Will See...Momentary Mastery!"
#6Equinox_OscurasPosted 5/4/2013 11:48:07 PM
Oh yes..... I forgot...
Archer will eventually {Or depending on soon you realize it} be useless. Aim is just....just no.

Black Mage can become Heaven's Dark Harbinger if you go with it though. You'll be Kentucy Fried Flaming any Chocobo that crosses your path.
---
Playing: Gods Eater Burst & Persona 3 Portable
"You Will See...Momentary Mastery!"
#7PK_RockinPosted 5/5/2013 4:22:25 AM
Don't worry about grinding too much or too little. That can only get you in trouble against random encounters or monsters appearing in scripted encounters. If you feel the random encounters become too hard, there are ways to down-level your units. Just go have fun - part of the fun is grinding to discover all the cool abilities in the game.

Your party composition should change frequently as you meet new challenges and open new jobs. Use what works. I will say that you should train someone as a Thief by chapter 4 to get all the good steals available then. Also, ranged vs. melee doesn't matter much in a game with such high-mobility units and AI that goes for the weakest first. However, having ranged skills helps a lot in overcoming big terrain height differences. Expect to change your party to meet different challenges.
#8styrrrPosted 5/5/2013 8:09:23 AM
EvilZero posted...

I'd tell you to use 2 healers: one magical, and one physical. Monks' martial arts can heal/revive units on the same tile elevation as they are, so they can't always heal or revive though. This is why having a second healer is good to have - either Items or white magic will work. If one healer gets KO'd you want to be able to revive them.

One you have JP Boost and Move+1, I'd move all your physical characters to knights or archers, depending on what you want to do with them. Monks require level 3 in knight... and level 3 archer unlocks thief (which has move+2 as one of its movement abilities).

A taurus of either gender will make an excellent thief due to the 'good' zodiac compatibility it will have against a certain person in Chapter 2 and Chapter 4, both of which have very rare items you may want to steal.

Chemists will do a fine job all throughout chapter 1, but you may want to make them a white mage or black mage at a certain point and use Item+Throw Items so they can still use items like a chemist. Level 3 black mage unlocks time mage, perhaps one of the most useful jobs in FFT in my opinion. Haste is simply awesome and will make any battle a lot easier. White magic is great for support and later on, offense. Holy is one of the strongest spells in-game and is relatively quick.

A level 3 time mage will unlock the Summoner, a very nice magical class since it can differentiate between allies and enemies and has increased range.

Some people may tell you to use Arithmeticians, but I wouldn't use them and I refuse to use them because they are game-breakers.

As for physical jobs, monks are great to use. A monk with dual wield (from the ninja job) or a ninja w/martial arts+brawler is also an A+ class that will do extreme levels of damage.

Ninja, Samurai, Dragoons, Geomancers, Knights, etc, all have their good points and make fine additions to the team. Samurai and Geomancers pair up better with females - and magical jobs - due to their abilities requiring magical power; whereas dragoons, knights, and ninja are better on males as they require physical power for their damage formula.

Males tend to have more HP and PA than their females counterparts, who have more MP and MA than males. This is why Agrias, a female character you pick up in Chapter 2, makes such a great Geomancer. Another character you pick up in Chapter 2, Mustadio, makes a good ninja or thief as both will compliment his speed which is how most of his 'Machinist' abilities function off of.

Also, I'd really suggest that you bookmark the "FFT:WotL Stat Growth and Job Chart v1.3" thread near the top of the first page, OP. It tells you how certain classes grow stat-wise and how to increase the damage of each job by raising stats or equipping certain skills (like Attack Boost on physical jobs or Arcane Strength on magical jobs). Section 2.0, 3.0-3.3 all have good information that will benefit you knowing about them.

Good luck and have fun playing this game.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372 8526 8441
#9MetastasePosted 5/5/2013 8:33:24 PM
EvilZero, don't worry, you don't really need to grind. My recommendation is: do what is fun to you. If you're having fun grinding, do it a little bit but don't go overboard. It's better if you don't grind just for grinding, find another objective while grinding and then resume story advancement.

The game isn't hard if all you're trying to do is kill enemies so strategy-wise it's not too demanding to win battles. It does get messy when you multi-task - and you WILL wish to multi-task - but this is more relevant in random battles (although VERY rewarding in story mode when u can pull it off).

Example of side activities you may wish to multi-task while grinding/fighting: permanent Bravery/Faith manipulation (Bravery to 97, Faith depends on what ur planning to do with ur unit), equipment stealing, monster taming/recruiting, utility action that can be done anywhere for EXP/JP farming > organizing spill-over JP setups, recruiting human units through speechcraft, grabbing Crystals from dead human units (this ties in with utility action while u wait for them to crystalize) and later on monster poaching. Monster Taming ties into monster breeding (done outside of battle) which ties into monster poaching (this is important because awesome items can be acquired this way - see Wildboar monster).

Even if u don't wish to use human units u recruit through Speechcraft, recruiting humans is very effective because it solves multiple things all at once: u automatically eliminate the opposition, automatically acquire all of their equipment (but stealing will still be needed for some battles), u can use the unit if u want and if u don't, u can take a look at their skills and kill/crystalize them urself to acquire some free skills provided u have their job unlocked and don't mind having Casualties in the Chronicles tab (it doesn't affect anything in the game).

Also, while Mediators/Orators become better Monster Tamers than Archers late in the game when u get Guns, they are still the best class to multi-task Monster Taming + Arts of War (Stat+Equip Breaking > speed break the prey+AIM), remaining very useful though the game for this very reason (and being the best Monster Tamers until then), so don't ditch Archers too soon, see if it suits ur style.

AIM may not be one of the best commands out there but it does accomplish some nice things besides being good for monster taming with ranged weapons: U can protect 1 strategic tile (back of 1 shielded unit for ex.), works great with Immobilize/stop/slow, lure enemies to trigger ur Reaction Ability and it's useful to increase damage with any weapon under any circumstance (provided u don't use anything beyond AIM+4).

And yeah, don't use Arithmeticians. If u do, shame on u.
#10styrrrPosted 5/6/2013 1:46:12 AM
EvilZero, if you're still reading this thread, here's my last bit of advice for you.

Whenever you are about to have a battle at a castle - or have already started said battle - and it prompts you to save... make *sure* that you save in another slot. You'll thank me if you can't win the battle and need to get more abilities/XP/etc!

You don't have to do this often, only in Castle battles, which tend to appear at the "end-of-chapter point of no return". These usually have multi-stage battles which can be excruciatingly difficult for new players and you WILL WANT a backup save if you can't complete it.

Otherwise... you will be stuck in those battles and if you can't beat it, will be forced to restart the game over, and nobody wants that!
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372 8526 8441