So i finished this, are the nintendo ones any good?

#1merqabahPosted 7/17/2013 6:02:01 PM
after all this time since 1998 i just brought myself to finish this game, awesome story and gameplay, so are the advance 1 and 2 fft games any good or are they cheaply imitations thx btw
#2EfratePosted 7/17/2013 6:12:29 PM
Cheap imitation. Stories a lot less deep, supreme lack of anything approaching difficulty, and overall a letdown. They can be fun if you do not take them seriously but definitely a far cry from this one.
---
That was the greatest post I have ever read on these boards, Effy. I laughed, I cried, I ate a whole gallon of ice cream.
KrossRoads
#3BlueReckoningPosted 7/18/2013 4:39:07 AM
FFTA2 is actually pretty good in it's own right. It's not FFT but it's a who lot better that FFTA.
---
"North Dakota doesn't exist, much like Sonic restaurants. I hear people talking about them but I've never seen any."
-- sfcalimari
#4MatthiasBeoulvePosted 7/18/2013 3:41:08 PM
Tactics Advanced was certainly charming, but it's not connected to Ivalice at all. The premise is that it takes place in a storybook. If that gives you an idea of how tonally different it is from War of the Lions.
---
I'm in yer Guild Hall, drinkin yer beers.
#5zodiac_swordPosted 7/19/2013 4:18:27 AM
People given them undue crap IMO.

They aren't a cheap imitation, if they were I think people would have been happier with them. They don't have the dark story or the convoluted gameplay mechanics this game have so people don't like them.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#6Bishop_SasaraiPosted 7/19/2013 10:27:20 AM
They're side-quest games. I hate those sorts of games, which is why I passed on both of them.
#7MarndosPosted 7/22/2013 10:15:14 AM
The Law/Judges systems in the FFTA games aren't very good. I actually really like the idea, but the way they're implemented is rather dumb and unfair.
---
Please change your vector and move to a different coordinate because this quadrant is off limits.
#8RevenantThingsPosted 7/22/2013 10:21:16 AM
They're different. There's a little more freedom in them, but along with that freedom comes a little bit of frustration. I would definitely recommend at least starting the first one (the GBA game) to see what you think.
---
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf, FFT:tWotL
#9TyrantLowKeyPosted 7/22/2013 10:56:55 AM
BlueReckoning posted...
FFTA2 is actually pretty good in it's own right. It's not FFT but it's a who lot better that FFTA.

This is what I have heard also. I bought FFTA2 on a whim after I bought the PSP version of the original. I haven't played the game though but I did beat FFTA on gameboy and i thought it was acceptable (I love FFT though so I overlooked ALL that was wrong w/ FFTA). But I heard and thus bought FFTA2. So I'd say get it. Also try Suikoden Tierkeris if you can get it. It's not bad either.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS(3DS), ToS, ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#10Gray_AreasPosted 7/22/2013 12:31:24 PM
I started the Tactics games with FFTA, and I love them. While the original Tactics and War of the Lions both have much deeper stories and much higher difficulty, I found both FFTA and FFTA2 to be well worth playing. The problem with FFTA is the law system. It starts off as a neat restriction system that is fairly well balanced, but by the end of the game it's completely unfair and hinders a lot of units. FFTA2 kind of corrected this, but the game is still much less dark and dramatic. One of the good things about them though is that they have a little postgame to them. War of the Lions had very little post game (basically just Midnight's Deep). If you enjoyed the gameplay of FFT, then you should definitely check FFTA and FFTA2 out.
---
White FC: 4727 7422 4019
Platinum FC: 2063 5286 9480