Unfortunately I already see this failing.. and this is why

#21dannyboy100Posted 1/19/2012 12:38:16 PM

Watch the film again, the pace is exhausting. The first film is all about civilians fighting a super predator, its very tense and claustraphobic. Thats great and as a film, I prefer it to Aliens. But as a computer game, I want to play Aliens. I want to rock out as a Colonial Marine. What's wrong with that? Xenomorphs were a swarm in that film, it was a siege movie. Thats what made it good. I think they just understand the franchise a little better than you. Sorry but.....

#22AzanodePosted 1/19/2012 5:07:48 PM

Watch the film again, the pace is exhausting. The first film is all about civilians fighting a super predator, its very tense and claustraphobic. Thats great and as a film, I prefer it to Aliens. But as a computer game, I want to play Aliens. I want to rock out as a Colonial Marine. What's wrong with that? Xenomorphs were a swarm in that film, it was a siege movie. Thats what made it good. I think they just understand the franchise a little better than you. Sorry but.....

I agree with all this, that is indeed the tone they should be aiming for in an Aliens game. My problem is that the execution of it just seems shallow. It seems over-scripted, with the player being guided along a set path. Linearity of progression isn't a bad thing in itself, but when the events that take place in this linear space are also adhering to a preset structure, you start to lose the game. This is a video game adaptation of a film - I want the tone and setting reworked for an interactive medium, not something that is essentially a movie where you get to press buttons. Aliens is already a movie, this game should separate itself from that and offer us something more by embracing what the medium can offer.

Another problem is that video games have borrowed from Aliens so much that there's a serious danger of the game just feeling generic. Right now the only thing that has me interested is the fact that it's Aliens. Swap out the characters for generic space marines and aliens and how many of us would give this game a second look? I think the license deserves better than that.

Of course I must add that my view is based purely on what we've seen so far. I'm entirely open to the possibility that the rest of the game will offer something more or that things will change through the course of development. But this is what they've chosen to show off, and for the time being that's all we have to go on.
#23PunkinDrublic87Posted 1/30/2012 12:54:37 PM
IMO, what would make a perfect aliens game is using the style and mechanics of system shock 2...
---
The grass is never greener on the other side, I'll sit right here and frolic in the dirt and gravel.
#24littleblackbookPosted 1/30/2012 1:15:59 PM

Ya system shock 2 would be a GREAT model for this game to build upon!
though I disagree with only "2-3 aliens on screen at a time" I'm sick of modern shooters limiting scale for more Bloom and redundantly high polycount...
I agree that the aliens should be SMART and sneak thruogh vents, creep up behind you, and wait in hiding etc. but there also needs to be moments when there are just swarms jumping from surface to surface running at you and your squad. (idk, I'd imagine a L4D-esque zombie horde that is more adepts at climbing walls/leaping, and where the aliens AND you will actually DIE when you take a claw/tail/bullet/flamer to the face.... none of this half a clip to kill a pidgeon nonsense that games like Halo employ :l ) (and if thats not to everyone's likeing, then the dificulty setting should change things like alien numbers/speed/mobility...instead of giving your character leprosy and coating all the enemies in adamantium..like halo... again)  

#25littleblackbookPosted 1/30/2012 1:16:50 PM

though I disagree with only "2-3 aliens on screen at a time" I'm sick of modern shooters limiting scale for more Bloom and redundantly high polycount...
I agree that the aliens should be SMART and sneak thruogh vents, creep up behind you, and wait in hiding etc. but there also needs to be moments when there are just swarms jumping from surface to surface running at you and your squad. (idk, I'd imagine a L4D-esque zombie horde that is more adepts at climbing walls/leaping, and where the aliens AND you will actually DIE when you take a claw/tail/bullet/flamer to the face.... none of this half a clip to kill a pidgeon nonsense that games like Halo employ :l ) (and if thats not to everyone's likeing, then the dificulty setting should change things like alien numbers/speed/mobility...instead of giving your character leprosy and coating all the enemies in adamantium..like halo... again)  

#26littleblackbookPosted 1/30/2012 1:17:28 PM

#27littleblackbookPosted 1/30/2012 1:31:41 PM

#28LFCKINGSPosted 2/1/2012 12:16:44 PM
I've never played an Aliens game before, but this one actually makes me want to play it. I don't know why, but it just appeals to me for some reason...
---
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Len%20lfc/stats/179515709/xbox/
GT: Len lfc
#29princespawnPosted 2/25/2012 10:58:00 PM
This game been in development since Playstation 2 and postponed so much... The last draw for me was when Sega postponed it for "Aliens vs Predator" game. Now they are only releasing it due to the new movie coming out, yet the AvP game failed miserably... The original AvP 1 & 2 were great!
---
SoulSilver FC: 0131 4412 5727
XBL GT: RaptureStar; PSN: RaptureStar; 3DS friend code: 0044-2824-6989 (rapture84)
#30NazomiPosted 3/2/2012 12:13:47 PM
I agree 100%

The blood also looks terrible. It looks like Amiga Paint splashed on the screen, just awful stuff.

Zero sense of horror or terror. I can only assume, in a similar fashion to the AvP game the weapons will all be similar with no real reason to switch up unless low on ammo.

A great idea would be to play as some one who has an egg in them. No weapons just a civi trying to escape with the 'promise' of it being removed. Having to run like hell to dodge these things and using things like closing of doors or welding devices or home made throwers etc as make shift weapons. Not to kill, merely to slow. Probably be a decent side mission that is timed. Depending on difficulty it you have less time to make it. That could induce a sense of terror through anxiety ha

This game will fail. If I still lived in the states Id get it from redbox and return it 2 days later
---
X360 GT: BarrattsMini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOUBxJnH52Y