Multiplayer Predictions

#1Tech9Posted 4/2/2012 1:03:58 PM
I've read they are doing competitive multiplayer, but they haven't released details. Anyone care to speculate?

I am hoping for (obviously) Aliens vs. Marine. I was thinking of a class-based mode, more than an unlock perks, BUT perks seem to be the new flavor of this generation.

I am thinking of a couple game modes, like Extraction from AvP2. Where Marines have 1 life and need to get to the escape vehicle within a time limit, while Aliens have 2 lives. Once you're out of lives you have to wait until the next round.

I like the "virus" mode as well, where everyone starts as marine and one player is randomly chosen to be an Alien. If you kill a Marine as the Alien, they come back as an Alien and the last person wins. I actually think there was a different way to win, but I think it's different in every game - I know Halo has a version of this called Zombie, correct?

I like objective types of games, so maybe like a capture mode - where Aliens try to capture civilians and Marines try to rescue them. I was also thinking of something where Aliens have to defend their queen against a platoon of marines, but that might just be like a Horde mode (or I guess Beast mode).

Feel free to share your ideas/hopes for MP.
#2skyemc2004Posted 4/4/2012 3:24:10 AM

When creating Colonial Marines multiplayer Gearbox said that they were inspired by the Gloom mod for Quake II. Never played this mod but if you would like to read about it there's a link below.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gloom

#3skyemc2004Posted 4/4/2012 3:30:01 AM

Forgot to add that we won't have to wait long to check out the multiplayer considering Gearbox will be showing it off at Pax East this weekend.

#4Tech9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2012 1:17:39 PM
IGN article about it...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222250p1.html

Well without too many details, it seems that I was right about perks/unlocks - "Each playable team, human Marines and Alien xenos, has its own distinct set of abilities, character classes, and unlocks."

I also have high hopes about additional modes - "Gearbox is shy about what modes are coming beyond the standard team deathmatch, but says Colonial Marines' competitive multiplayer is heavily objective-based."

Very good news though. The only thing I am concerned about it the "backstab" they illustrate in the video. It needs to be like Halo Reach instead of like AvP - where you hit X from 15 feet away and could get an instant kill.
#5Jeebes007Posted 4/5/2012 11:53:34 PM

I like the idea said before about making a mode like "beast mode" implemetented into the game, just running around for hours ambushing and massacring marines sounds like good fun. The multiplayer in general seems to be well on track but one thing they shouldn't overlook is a survival mode gametype. If I want one thing to go right in this game even if all else fails is a good squad based survival sort of like L4D's, when even if you you do play solo you still have a few other marines watchign your back so you feel more like more of a trapped marine unit rather than some lone gun who tried to declare war on Xeno existence and died anyway.

Colonial Marines has no hope of competeing against games like Halo, COD or possibly even borderlands, however, if they use the only unique thing they have which is the presence of Xeno's, to their advantage, all it would take for this game to be a success is some good hard hitting, heart punding xenomorph killing with basic controls and it will atleast become a good novelty game that you can crack out every once in a while to take a break from other games rather than be forgotten in time like past AVP or aliens games.

#6some09guy IIPosted 4/6/2012 10:01:49 AM
The multiplayer looks to be getting a lot of comparisons to sort of a beefed up L4D. We get the standard co-op and then there's team deathmatch, only in the latter there are players playing the aliens as well. On top of that there's a sort of a killstreak system where teams can unlock a certain alien type or weapon to use. So aliens might be able to step into the claws of a crusher while marines can grab a smartgun. Then on top of that there are customization options for builds. Aliens have six slots to determine features on, say, their legs and claws (and, I'm guessing, tail, armor, inner mouth and perhaps head). Marines, meanwhile, have two armor slots plus custom weapon loadouts both in choosing personal weapons and attachments to them. On top of that, you take those customizations into the single player game.

Who knows what else is going to be available, but so far it's sounding pretty damn good.
#7Tech9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2012 10:27:02 AM
@some09guy II

It definitely has depth, which is a great thing. It doesn't seem tacked-on at all, like some other FPS games. It is looking very good.

I have seen a LOT of footage over the past couple days. Has anyone seen any from the Aliens side? I kind of like to see how the 3rd person perspective of the Alien characters work. I think this is one of the best ideas ever - FPS for Alien was always disorienting in all the AvP games.
#8some09guy IIPosted 4/6/2012 2:49:49 PM
I think some of kill cuts may have been from an alien player, but it's difficult to be certain. In any case, I agree. These developers seem to be very proud of their product; they're not simply hyping, they are actually proud of what they've done and are excited over the opportunity to bring in an Aliens sequel in game form. That speaks well to what the final product is going to look like.

Only games which have come out reasonably recently where I've seen that level of pride, and not simply hype, that I can think of are Dragon Age: Origins and The Witcher 2. I'd say both of those did pretty well for themselves.
#9PAL360Posted 4/29/2012 4:23:06 AM

Marines vs aliens will be awesome! ! Just hope they add some alien and maybe marine AIs aswell (ala main zombies in L4D), 4 vs 4 may look too empty.

#10Grafix2kPosted 4/29/2012 11:38:17 AM

Species team death match, infestation mode, horde/survival mode, 4 player co-op campaign and I will be very happy. A l4d versus mode through the campaign with the aliens controlled as humans would be sick wikid but im asking for too much there.

More topics from this board...
I still play this gameLoopyJ258/29 12:24PM