PAX East 4/6, played the game against GEARBOX.

#1David_BoreanazPosted 4/7/2012 8:01:29 AM
I was at PAX yesterday and waitied in line for 2 hours to see a single player Demo of the game and play multiplayer against the devs. So I'll give my impressions of both, keep in mind that what I both saw and played was an ALPHA build and we were told that throughout the presentation.

Single player demo impressions...

We unfortunately didn't get to play it, we watched what the dev was playing on the big screen. The games graphics looked good, although the facial animations were stiff and there was a little slowdown when the lighting got complicated. The standard issue pulse rifle was used almost throughout the demo, it carries 4 grenades and a 95 round clip in single player.

There are different classes of aliens and the first one encounted was called a stalker i think, it appeared while the main character was cutting a marine loose, it crawled up and growled in the chars face in a very cinematic way which was pretty cool. The stalker apparently uses hit and run tactics when you fight, it was stated that there will be different types of aliens that you will face throughout the game.

Most of the demo was forgettable, the other aliens encountered had a very L4D style attack, they would sprint directly at the player and get mowed down in droves. About halfway through the main char picked up a turret set up at the end of a corridor and moved it in front of the door he was about to open and the turret did provide him good cover so that worked well. He also grabbed a giant machine gun towards the end of the demo, when he equipped it his HUD turned entirely red and a more automatic targetting system appear which reminded me of afterburner in the arcades.

He dropped that once he depleted the ammo, and along with the marine he rescued early tried to escape back through an airlock with the connecting bridge. Halfway across the bidge the marine clutches his chest and before his ribs split open he whips out a grenade and detonates it blowing the bridge. The player then proceeds to try to climb back across the open airlock while getting pulled by the air getting sucked into space. He then reaches the airlock and the demo ends.
---
XBL Gamertag: Dave Winchester
#2David_Boreanaz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2012 8:02:44 AM
Multiplayer demo...

Now I am not going to lie, the multiplayer was a blast. I was there with a group of 3 friends and my girlfriend so I knew the most of the people who were on my team, plus we got to watch the devs play against another team before the match started. We played as the marines and the devs played as the aliens.

While watching the devs played I noticed that one player on the alien side would "evolve" and turned into a hulking brute of an alien who could destroy entire squads of marines if they were too close together. I have no idea what triggers the evolve so don't ask, I just assume that once one brute was taken down another alien evolved and took it's place.

It was 6 v 6 and the first match was close. The marines spawn with 4 loadouts (3 were unlocked when we played but the devs told us that there would be 4 by release), I equipped the pulse rifle (started with 3 grenades for the launcher attachment as well which is why i picked it) loadout and continued down some hallways with the rest of the squad. The map we played was varied, there was a loading bay senction down below on the first level and on the second floor there were a few hallways and a giant room with blue lighting and a hole in the floor. After scoring 2 double kills and 1 triple kill we were up by 3 paints (33 to 36) and thats when the first match ended because on of the devs game froze.

Luckily they were nice enough to let us play again. This time it was NOT a close game. The entire squad ran to the blue room and proceeded to post up on each entrance. 2 people covered the hole, and the rest of us each took a hallway. By the 1:20 mark it was 9-3 and we were winning. The door I was guarding got swarmed by 3 aliens and I was taken down. Instead of spawning with my squad I spawned in the loading bay below. I tried to head back to the blue room BUT the aliens can see through walls and since it was obvious that 1 of me was easier to take out than 5 other marines I was attacked by an evolved and 2 normal aliens. I took out one of the aliens and got KO'd by the evolved.

I lucked out with my next spawn and made it back to the blue room while scoring a double kill on 2 camping aliens outside one of the hallways. Once I was back in it was back to lockdown mode and we proceeded to win 42-36 final score.

And that's about it. If anyone has any questions about any of it just let me know and I'll answer what I can.
---
#3Runner_stylePosted 4/7/2012 2:19:38 PM
I'm liking the sound of multiplayer especailly the molting process of the Alien. Sort of a throw back to AvP2 multiplayer when you'd turn into a queen after getting a certain number of kills.

I just hope it doesn't suffer the SEGA curse. Get it out milk the player base for all its worth then cut the support...Just like AvP.
---
You're a random. Your opinion means nothing.
#4some09guy IIPosted 4/7/2012 4:21:19 PM
I wonder a bit if the marines might be a bit overpowered. No offense to you or your friends, but the devs should have more playtime and a better understanding of the game mechanics. If they're getting mowed down then either they are really friggin' bad (wouldn't be surprising - people who work in the industry seem to have a surprising lack of ability to actually play games) or there are some balance issues.

Sounds like a blast, though.
#5predatoriumPosted 4/8/2012 12:14:14 AM

It seemed very balanced CVG played against them. Very even scores. I beleive it all comes down to know how to play as the aliens and as the marines. If the marines are sticking together and covering each other while the xenos are just charging head on, then ofc the marines will win. But if the xenos set up ambushes, use the stalker class to make quick pounces from the dark, keep flanking and so on. Then the tables are turned.

#6David_Boreanaz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2012 5:52:28 AM
Well we did post up in the room pretty well, I feel as if they used the evolved xenos to clear a path better they might have evened up the odds. Plus one of my friends actually found a spot that pretty much made it impossible for the aliens to get through the hole. theyd either have to run around the entire hole to get to him and by that time he'd kill them by the time they would be close enough to attack, or they would try jumping through the hole and he'd melee them back down and light em up.

$20 says they'll change the map before release now lol.
---
#7True RunePosted 4/8/2012 12:08:53 PM
Is multi just like....death matches, or is there an objective, like...get from A to B

cuz they way you described it....sounds like Death Matches....
---
It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed humans by the THOUSANDS!!! Look at me!!! I am sublime!! I am the TRUE face of evil!!!
#8Famine_10f4Posted 4/8/2012 3:58:05 PM

So like, how did it play? Control wise, was it stiff, twitchy, what? Was the shooting good?

You said the game felt like Left 4 Dead, with the way the enemies came at you... Did they stay on the ground the entire time or were they walking along the walls too?

I know you didn't get to play as the aliens but could you tell what attacks they had? Was it all melee? Could they run on walls? Acid Blood?

I've noticed the Aliens can execute, but they seem invincible during those animations. Can you confirm this?

Any ideas on other game modes?

Was the map balanced...

#9zuzu304Posted 4/9/2012 1:17:26 PM
did the movement feel smooth while playing and also other than Left4Dead, what other game would you compare this to?
---
GT: theplaya123
psn: rack1overload
#10David_Boreanaz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2012 6:19:48 AM
Famine_10f4 posted...
So like, how did it play? Control wise, was it stiff, twitchy, what? Was the shooting good?

It played a lot like every other FPS out there to be honest. I had my sensitivity cranked to about 60 out of 100 so it was a bit twitchy for me, but the aliens were pretty quick so it helped. The game had some serious auto aim pull when you initially looked down the iron sights of guns though. If I had to compare how the game felt as far as controls I'd compare it to CoD.

You said the game felt like Left 4 Dead, with the way the enemies came at you... Did they stay on the ground the entire time or were they walking along the walls too?

This was geared towards the single player only, the aliens would usually crawl out of a vent or hole somewhere, go bipedal, then sprint at the player. Barring the first alien encounter where the first alien used hit and run tactics, they all did this same B-line towards the player.

I know you didn't get to play as the aliens but could you tell what attacks they had? Was it all melee? Could they run on walls? Acid Blood?

It was all melee in MP, no acid breath or anything that I could see while watching GEARBOX play as the aliens. But the could climb on the walls and the ceilings and could also do a leap attack which was pretty powerful and accurate from both the floor and walls/ceilings.

I've noticed the Aliens can execute, but they seem invincible during those animations. Can you confirm this?

I only saw the dev get executed while playing SP and it never occured during MP so I couldn't tell ya.

Any ideas on other game modes?

My friend asked one of the GEARBOX guys this while we were watching them play and so far he said that there will be the standard deathmatches and CTF style gametypes and that they are working on a few more as well.

Was the map balanced...

lol no
---