DeAD!! and LOvIn IT
#4Drag_ZEROPosted 1/26/2013 12:50:40 PM
lol, you've been waiting for this day haven't you =P
#5JascoDPosted 1/26/2013 1:58:54 PM
He sure has.
---
Itchy Tasty!
#6some09guy II(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 2:29:00 PM
Hah, actually not. Realized it was between two and three weeks 'til release when the thought occurred to me.
#7JascoDPosted 1/26/2013 8:08:37 PM
Since we are now talking about this, why do you think that a rescue team would come in only 17 days?

17 days is not a long time out in deep space? No, don't take me wrong here, i am not some NASA expert or what ever, but since they all where sleeping in the cryotubes would suggest that the trip for them to come to the planet would take some time?

Maybe there was some space station that was located 17 days from the planet? Or where they expecting military assistance that would take 17 days to come?

LOL, yeah, just some thoughts that needed to vent. Carry on!
---
Itchy Tasty!
#8RycerXPosted 1/26/2013 8:28:33 PM(edited)
Well it's 17 days here, 17 days there. After a while it begins to add up as a space marine, I'm sure. They want to keep their soldiers young and healthy for as long as possible, I would imagine. No use in hanging around playing poker for half a month when they could be conserving their youth.

I always wondered though, was Hicks taking into account their time overdue? Ripley asked how long "after we're declared overdue" could they expect a rescue. I assume he was, for the sake of the script. They may have even been scheduled to check in that same day.

You're right though, 17 days is an awfully short amount of time considering the size of the Milky Way. It would take something like two years just to leave our solar system at the speed of light. I'd guess either they have colonies and space stations set up all over the damn place or they've achieved space travel far in excess of light speed.
#9some09guy II(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 8:32:58 PM
JascoD posted...
Since we are now talking about this, why do you think that a rescue team would come in only 17 days?

I would guess one of two things. First is that LV-426 is no longer on the border and interstellar travel has progressed far since Alien (which I believe it has in any case, considering I don't think it took them many months to get there). They would then go into sleep because they spend most their time travelling and don't want to grow old doing so. Second is that there are ships which are normally on some sort of patrol which can intercept situations in deep space, and the only reason they weren't sent in instead was due to the want of a consultant and the perceived lack of a true problem. Hicks then, being likely a potential leadership candidate, then might be aware of such patrol routes.

RycerX posted...
I always wondered though, was Hicks taking into account their time overdue? Ripley asked how long "after we're declared overdue" could they expect a rescue. I assume he was, for the sake of the script. They may have even been scheduled to check in that same day.

Probably, yeah. And being declared overdue likely doesn't take all that long either, keep in mind. They probably are regulated to check in at regular intervals failing to do so would warrant an immediate response. So if it's, say, once every eight hours, once the APC is taken out there's no way to send a signal any longer.
#10shstevePosted 1/27/2013 6:16:18 AM
If I remember from what the colonists say, it takes two weeks to hear a reply from the company HQ (director's cut/special edition). With that in mind, no response in two weeks, plus travelling time for the nearest patrol, and you're looking at a long stretch.