I dont suppose theres any kind of Bots mp is there?

#1burdi1arPosted 2/1/2013 2:43:04 AM
see topic.
---
"Good night, I'll see you in your dreams, I'll be the clown holding a knife standing over your bed"- Stephen Colbert
#2bhamacukPosted 2/1/2013 3:22:09 AM
I seriously doubt it but I can't see how hard it would be to programme.

If the Alien and Marines ai are programmed competently for single player, surely that's half the job sorted?

I think its a commercial decision to get ppl to pay for xbxox live and DLC maps.
#3Ice WeaselPosted 2/1/2013 6:09:20 AM
bhamacuk posted...

If the Alien and Marines ai are programmed competently for single player, surely that's half the job sorted?

Two completely different animals. Campaign A.I. is largely script-driven. In MP, you have to program individual A.I.s for all the bots, creatures, etc... This is extremely taxing in regards to memory and processing. Plus, there's only a handful of developers out there who are competent when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean just look at most reviews out there. What's one of the main complaints in almost all of them? Bad A.I.
#4bhamacukPosted 2/1/2013 10:47:41 AM
True, however I would've thought that campaign ai would react in accordance to player input (as well as other factors like environment), and if so then my point is perhaps a valid one, i.e. It could be easy to make bot based MP cos the hardest part is already programmed, give or take a tweak or two.

Timesplitters had bots, Red Faction did too, Unreal Tournament, all old games on PS2. Even Perfect Dark had bots. It can't be that hard surely?
#5Ice WeaselPosted 2/1/2013 11:58:39 AM
bhamacuk posted...
True, however I would've thought that campaign ai would react in accordance to player input (as well as other factors like environment), and if so then my point is perhaps a valid one, i.e. It could be easy to make bot based MP cos the hardest part is already programmed, give or take a tweak or two.

Timesplitters had bots, Red Faction did too, Unreal Tournament, all old games on PS2. Even Perfect Dark had bots. It can't be that hard surely?

Like I said, what they've done for the campaign is completely irrelevant. Campaign A.I. and MP A.I. are two completely different things.

Artifical Intelligence is hands down the most difficult part of game development. It's a nightmare to program really good A.I. which is why you don't see it that often. Plus today's consoles are very limited when it comes to this sort of thing.

With most games being online these days, developers have little incentive to bother with bots, (unlike in the PD days when all we had was offline play). Kind of a shame though as more players actually play offline than on. Bot support would be appreciated in a lot more games imo.
#6TerryG20012Posted 2/1/2013 12:09:15 PM
Funny how the sorts of things that were commonplace in games in the PS2 era are now being called difficult. Basically anything that supports local multiplayer is oh so hard for todays developers.
#7bhamacukPosted 2/1/2013 12:48:08 PM
Ice Weasel posted...
With most games being online these days, developers have little incentive to bother with bots, (unlike in the PD days when all we had was offline play). Kind of a shame though as more players actually play offline than on. Bot support would be appreciated in a lot more games imo.

Which supports my last point in that it is mostly a commercial decision. Yeah, it does make sense to allocate time and resources to making the online component a success, especially as it's the norm now.

I just remembered something. Didn't MW3 have a bots only MP for practising your skills. Yeah, it did didn't it. Infinity Ward in comparison to Gearbox have the benefit of more money and resources though.
#8Ice WeaselPosted 2/1/2013 12:57:10 PM
bhamacuk posted...
Ice Weasel posted...

Which supports my last point in that it is mostly a commercial decision. Yeah, it does make sense to allocate time and resources to making the online component a success, especially as it's the norm now.

I just remembered something. Didn't MW3 have a bots only MP for practising your skills. Yeah, it did didn't it. Infinity Ward in comparison to Gearbox have the benefit of more money and resources though.

Actually it's the Treyarch games which have bots - not Infinity Ward's. The Call of Duty series has always had notoriously bad A.I., (the bots in Black Ops are some of the worst I have ever seen), but the guy who programmed the bots in B.O. II, (believe his last name is Krauss), did an AMAZING job.
#9burdi1ar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 4:20:58 PM
thats a bummer, would have bought this over dead space 3 if it had bots (dont have gold). oh wells, thanks anyways.
---
"Good night, I'll see you in your dreams, I'll be the clown holding a knife standing over your bed"- Stephen Colbert
#10bhamacukPosted 2/1/2013 4:29:23 PM
If bots were present in the Multiplayer modes it would allow us to still play the game in short, quick, fun bursts, once the online becomes inactive.

We want Bots, we want Bots .....
More topics from this board...
Trying to play ExterminationR1KM4N210/27 5:43AM