I dont suppose theres any kind of Bots mp is there?

#21ReturnOfFrankPosted 2/2/2013 9:09:15 AM
^Yet people on their home pc could programme bots for games like counterstrike and Day of Defeat that were sometimes better than human players. it's 2013, theres no reason why it isn't possible to make decent AI even if the game mode is slightly complicated.
#22bhamacukPosted 2/2/2013 11:07:47 AM
^ good point although were they programming bots or creating mods (for tools, weapons, skins, environments etc). The latter would be much easier compared to the former.
#23Ice WeaselPosted 2/2/2013 4:28:45 PM
ReturnOfFrank posted...
^Yet people on their home pc could programme bots for games like counterstrike and Day of Defeat that were sometimes better than human players. it's 2013, theres no reason why it isn't possible to make decent AI even if the game mode is slightly complicated.

That's on PC. As I said before, today's consoles are a lot more limited. Ever wonder why almost every single console game with bots is capped at 15? These machines can only handle so many independent A.I. And it's not about making them "better" than humans as that's easy. It's about making them as intelligent as possible.
#24SchlaglPosted 2/4/2013 8:49:30 AM
Ice Weasel posted...
ReturnOfFrank posted...

That's on PC. As I said before, today's consoles are a lot more limited. Ever wonder why almost every single console game with bots is capped at 15? These machines can only handle so many independent A.I. And it's not about making them "better" than humans as that's easy. It's about making them as intelligent as possible.

And yet there are still console games with bots in them better than people.
#25ScarletSpidey1Posted 2/4/2013 9:36:11 AM
^Ever wondered why in the Borderland series, the other protagonists aren't A.I. controlled while you played solo like the Left 4 Dead series? Because different developers have different ways of programming.
---
The Official Hero for Hire, Luke Cage. The Power Man of GameFaqs
#26TraviscleesPosted 2/5/2013 3:04:03 PM
section 8: prejudice had bots, and the community there is still plenty active! and that was a DLC only game that came out about a year ago.

man, i wanna go play that now till this comes out.
---
I deal with the absurdity of existence by shoving absurdity down existence's throat.
Gamefaqs: now with more trolls than 4chan!!
#27jackalmax_ppdPosted 2/5/2013 6:27:32 PM
I miss options like that in games. It used to be standard in games but I understand things have changed a lot but it would be nice, call of duty does a good job with it
#28DDR MidianPosted 2/6/2013 3:06:36 PM
Ice Weasel posted...
bhamacuk posted...

If the Alien and Marines ai are programmed competently for single player, surely that's half the job sorted?

Two completely different animals. Campaign A.I. is largely script-driven. In MP, you have to program individual A.I.s for all the bots, creatures, etc... This is extremely taxing in regards to memory and processing. Plus, there's only a handful of developers out there who are competent when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean just look at most reviews out there. What's one of the main complaints in almost all of them? Bad A.I.

Whut. The entire point of good artificial intelligence is that it's NOT scripted. Hence "intelligence". Its very creation is to provide variation, fluidity and randomness to NPCs in games, where the hell did you get "scripted" from?
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#29RyozoPosted 2/6/2013 5:44:16 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
Honestly has any game does bots decently well since Perfect Dark 64? Sure after playing it all those years ago, I does sort of seem retroish. But honestly, being able to change the skins/what the bots looked like, setting their difficutly, and their personality was somewhat fun.

I ask myself this frequently... if Rare could pull this off two console generations ago what technical excuse hobbles today's developers?
---
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
More topics from this board...
I still play this gameLoopyJ67/24 1:09PM