It does kind of make Alien 3 better *spoilers*

#71M4karov(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 1:50:45 PM
Alien 3 doesn't render Ripley's actions in Aliens moot. If death makes our actions meaningless, then nothing we do ever matters.

If anything her arc is completed in Alien 3 by Ripley finally taking a jab at the company who had been screwing her over in the first two movies.
#72VanorPosted 2/18/2013 6:54:21 PM
M4karov posted...
Alien 3 doesn't render Ripley's actions in Aliens moot. If death makes our actions meaningless, then nothing we do ever matters.

If anything her arc is completed in Alien 3 by Ripley finally taking a jab at the company who had been screwing her over in the first two movies.

It's still incredibly unsatisfying and lame. She dies and the company still goes on unpunished for their actions.
---
I FAILED PINEAPPLE!
#73MikDaTvPosted 2/18/2013 7:18:17 PM
GigerSupreme posted...

you clearly dont know squat about screen writing... or even how to watch a movie correctly.

you just cant cherry pick your favorite character, then claim THAT is the main character, because he/she is your favorite character.

Of course I know how to watch a movie correctly. You put the DVD in the tray and press play when the menu comes up.

My point was not that ripply wasn't the main character, nor that she wasn't a protagonist. That would have been silly. My point was that the main character does not necessarily have to be the center of the story. There can, and often are, more than once protagonist.
---
BONESAW IS READY!!!!! to join the Downing 213 Gaming Clan
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Downing_213/index/
#74GigerSupremePosted 2/18/2013 9:07:26 PM
Vanor posted...
M4karov posted...

It's still incredibly unsatisfying and lame. She dies and the company still goes on unpunished for their actions.

she will never be able to punish the company. she did however ruin the chances of them ever getting what they wanted, which is really the best thing she could hope for... killing the last known queen xenomorph.

and for what its worth, they do eventually go out of bussiness by the time alien ressurection came around... probably thanks to ripley's action.
#75GigerSupremePosted 2/18/2013 9:19:13 PM
MikDaTv posted...
GigerSupreme posted...

you clearly dont know squat about screen writing... or even how to watch a movie correctly.

you just cant cherry pick your favorite character, then claim THAT is the main character, because he/she is your favorite character.

Of course I know how to watch a movie correctly. You put the DVD in the tray and press play when the menu comes up.

My point was not that ripply wasn't the main character, nor that she wasn't a protagonist. That would have been silly. My point was that the main character does not necessarily have to be the center of the story. There can, and often are, more than once protagonist.

in the aliens films, ripley is the main character and protagonist.
#76jandremPosted 2/19/2013 5:59:34 AM
Vanor posted...
M4karov posted...

What are you talking about? She absolutely punishes the company. All the work and planning they did to try and capture a live queen, all that work to make this bioweapon their own, and she throws herself into the fire with it. She denies them the very thing they're after, and makes a martyr of herself to never be their tool again.

According to canon, WY had bee around for a long, long time. The fallout from the whole Alien fiasco, starting with the distress call from the Derelict all the way up to squaring off against the USMC in the game(sorry guys, it's F***ing canon now), WY winds up going out of business over all of this.

Sorry if you wanted a unicorns and rainbows happy ending. That would have been incredibly out of place given this franchise's history. I think Ripley sacrificing herself to eliminate the Alien race, and deny the company their prize(and later WY going under) is a perfect end to Ripley's story. She finally ended the nightmare and has peace.

Story > fanboyism.
#77ILikesCheesePosted 2/19/2013 12:52:20 PM
GigerSupreme posted...
In the film "Aliens", Ripley is the main character and protagonist.

Fixed that for ya.

Ripley is most certainly NOT the main character / center protagonist in "Alien". Her role in "Alien 3" still places her in the spotlight, but the "main character" in that film are the prisoners and their society/religion.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#78Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 2/19/2013 1:16:11 PM
Gobey6 posted...
I just don't understand why the alien skips the chestburster stage of life completely in this film and emerges from a dog pretty much full sized...

Not to take away from "Alien," but the original has a similar problem. The chest-bursting alien is about what, 8 inches tall? Less than 24 hours later, not having eaten a single thing, the alien is standing 6+ feet tall when first encountered by hat-man (forgot his name!).

I'm sure that later novels / comics probably address this, but on its own merit, it's quite jarring to see the evolution in "Alien" unfold the way it does...
---
"Politics and Religion are obsolete. The time has come for Science and Spirituality." - Jawaharlal Nehru
#79some09guy IIPosted 2/22/2013 8:42:20 AM
Sirius345 posted...
Let's examine this a little better. What purpose does everyone in Aliens serve?

Newt - Gives Ripley something to care about and a reason to face her fears.
Hicks - Teaches Ripley how to use a gun, how to defend herself.
Bishop - Researches the enemy and helps Ripley escape the planet.
Burke - Confidant for Ripley who ends up betraying her.
The rest of the marines - Sent to die. Ripley succeeds where they fail.

This is so stupidly simplified I am baffled. This is one of the worst cases of twisting facts I have ever seen. How about this:

Ripley - gives Newt a surrogate mother and reason to face her nightmares.
Hicks - Acts a surrogate father to Newt and protects her throughout.
Bishop - Researches the enemy and helps Newt escape.
Burke - The one who sends Newt's family to die, causing the mess, and attempts to kill her later.
Rest of the marines - Save her then die, like they're supposed to.

Don't you see? The story is about Newt!

Ripley - Acts as a surrogate romantic interest for Hicks to better explain the universe and develop as a leader.
Newt - Acts as a surrogate child to Hicks to looks after and protect amongst the hardened vets which consist of the rest of the group.
Bishop - Researches the enemy and helps Hicks escape.
Burke - Sends Hicks and the marines to begin with, causing the incident, and attempts to betray and kill off Hicks and his "family".
Rest of the marines - Sent to show how capable Hicks is in comparison before being taken out one by one.

Don't you see? The story is about Hicks!