I thought that the Pulse Rifle holds 99 bullets?

#41RycerXPosted 2/18/2013 2:20:21 PM
Those are some interesting specs, and you may very well be right in terms of real world application, but keep in mind this is a film, and directors are not necessarily members of the NRA.

That's a good point about 42 rounds though. I just reviewed those scenes and here's a few new things that I noticed. Hicks had a new magazine in his rifle just before the dropship crashes, you get good look at it when he's throwing a signal flare. That means he, and probably Hudson too, got fresh magazines while they were waiting for Ferro and Spunkmeyer. So why would they only bother to fill them up to 42 instead of 95? I think it's because those were the civilian grade mags and they were following standard procedure by filling them to 42 instead of 50, just as with 95 from 99 to prevent jamming.

Then immediately after they make it back to the ops room, Vasquez loads her own pulse rifle with a new mag, didn't pull an ammo clip out of the crates or anything, it was already full. So it's debatable how those magazines got to ~50 rounds, I still think they were lower capacity. But one thing's for sure, they didn't salvage loose clips and empty mags and fill them up on their own after the crash.
#42ultra magnus13Posted 2/18/2013 2:51:05 PM
RycerX posted...
Those are some interesting specs, and you may very well be right in terms of real world application, but keep in mind this is a film, and directors are not necessarily members of the NRA.

That's a good point about 42 rounds though. I just reviewed those scenes and here's a few new things that I noticed. Hicks had a new magazine in his rifle just before the dropship crashes, you get good look at it when he's throwing a signal flare. That means he, and probably Hudson too, got fresh magazines while they were waiting for Ferro and Spunkmeyer. So why would they only bother to fill them up to 42 instead of 95? I think it's because those were the civilian grade mags and they were following standard procedure by filling them to 42 instead of 50, just as with 95 from 99 to prevent jamming.

Then immediately after they make it back to the ops room, Vasquez loads her own pulse rifle with a new mag, didn't pull an ammo clip out of the crates or anything, it was already full. So it's debatable how those magazines got to ~50 rounds, I still think they were lower capacity. But one thing's for sure, they didn't salvage loose clips and empty mags and fill them up on their own after the crash.

Nice catch on the full mag before the crash, hadn't seen that. But it actually invalidates your point even more, if Hicks has a full 99 or 95 rounds in his mag, and he doesn't fire any rounds, then were else could those rounds logically go, other than being divided among the available mags. Did you by any chance notice if Hicks and Hudson made it back to the APC with there original rifles slung, or do they grab fresh ones from the APC? Also in any of the scenes that show the Pulse Rifles in there racks is it visible weather or not they have mags inserted? Cause I've got a new theory now. Racked rifles are stored with empty mags in place. Hicks and Hudson load up there 2 rifles with full (or 95) round mags. 2 additional rifles are recovered from the crash, but there were racked and thus have empty mags. They then divide the ammo from the 2 full mags between all 4.

As for the low cap mags not being loaded to capacity explaining why he had 42 rounds, that doesn't fly either. As I stated in my first post, the mags would have to be the same length as the standard mag to fit in the standard Pulse Rifle, meaning you wouldn't have the issues with the spring putting excessive pressure on the rounds causing failures to feed. Again this idea is based in reality as AR mags are often loaded to 28 rounds instead of 30, but this is generally to aid in seating the mag securely rather than malfunction based, though there are arms that will exhibit malfunctions as described above.
---
?huh?........ it's just a box.
#43RycerXPosted 2/18/2013 3:54:54 PM
ultra magnus13 posted...
Nice catch on the full mag before the crash, hadn't seen that. But it actually invalidates your point even more, if Hicks has a full 99 or 95 rounds in his mag, and he doesn't fire any rounds, then were else could those rounds logically go, other than being divided among the available mags.

I see what you're saying about cutting his full mag in half to share with Vasquez and later Ripley, but that doesn't make sense either because Vasquez loads up with a fresh magazine immediately.

Did you by any chance notice if Hicks and Hudson made it back to the APC with there original rifles slung, or do they grab fresh ones from the APC?

Hicks definitely has his, but now that you mention it, I don't see Hudson carrying his. Neither on the way back or inside the APC, he only has his motion tracker, I'll be damned.

Also in any of the scenes that show the Pulse Rifles in there racks is it visible weather or not they have mags inserted? Cause I've got a new theory now. Racked rifles are stored with empty mags in place. Hicks and Hudson load up there 2 rifles with full (or 95) round mags. 2 additional rifles are recovered from the crash, but there were racked and thus have empty mags. They then divide the ammo from the 2 full mags between all 4.

Yeah, the racked ones all have their magazines. They can't be empty though because Crowe and Apone grab their rifles off the racks and there's no way they wouldn't be loaded.

As for the low cap mags not being loaded to capacity explaining why he had 42 rounds, that doesn't fly either. As I stated in my first post, the mags would have to be the same length as the standard mag to fit in the standard Pulse Rifle, meaning you wouldn't have the issues with the spring putting excessive pressure on the rounds causing failures to feed. Again this idea is based in reality as AR mags are often loaded to 28 rounds instead of 30, but this is generally to aid in seating the mag securely rather than malfunction based, though there are arms that will exhibit malfunctions as described above.

We can't take that many liberties with the gun's design if it's not in the manual though. It's entirely possible that they manufacture their magazines with equal dimensions in order to be universally compatible with all pulse rifle models regardless of ammo capacity. Really it's all about the clip size, not the outer frame of the magazine. You can have the same size magazine with a lower capacity clip.
#44RycerXPosted 2/18/2013 4:10:31 PM
I'll tell you one thing though, I do like the idea of Hicks dividing his ammo, being the kind of no-man-left-behind stand up guy that he is.
#45GradeABrassierePosted 2/21/2013 4:26:56 AM
Ripley Pulse rifle has 95 bullets?
---
La Brassiere
#46knightblazer85Posted 2/21/2013 6:13:37 PM
the one thing that's bugging me is that in some of the playthrus i've watched the pulse rifle has a 40 round mag instead of the standard 60 i'm seeing online and in other playthrus.

so uh, what's the deal?
#47Anguirus111Posted 2/21/2013 7:10:37 PM
Ripley Pulse rifle has 95 bullets?

When she slaps in her magazine on the dropship, the LED counter goes to 95.

On a side note, the pulse rifles in AvP from 1999 and AvP II all had magazines with 99 rounds in them.
---
I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you! I am eternal! (Apocalypse)
#48NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 2/21/2013 7:12:02 PM
knightblazer85 posted...
the one thing that's bugging me is that in some of the playthrus i've watched the pulse rifle has a 40 round mag instead of the standard 60 i'm seeing online and in other playthrus.

so uh, what's the deal?

Most people use extended magazine with the Pulse Rifle. There's no real reason not to, as the only other choice for the customization slot is a suppressor or nothing. The extra half-second reload time isn't exactly crippling.
#49some09guy IIPosted 2/21/2013 7:52:51 PM
RycerX posted...
Yeah, the racked ones all have their magazines. They can't be empty though because Crowe and Apone grab their rifles off the racks and there's no way they wouldn't be loaded.

Didn't Frost prep the weapons beforehand? He looked to be manually loading and prepping the weapons before the rest took them.

Anyway, I always figured they kept spare mags separate from ammo boxes and they could only recover so much ammunition after the crash, like a 200 round box or so. Hicks and Hudson having new mags then having to divide them between salvaged weapons also rings true.
#50Total_ReversePosted 2/21/2013 8:16:57 PM
specialed1583 posted...

I like how people argue so much over something that's ultimately completely inconsequential.

Agreed, but as fans of the franchise it is our duty to argue about nerdy things that hold zero meaning outside of this world.

Like the time someone argued that the Railguns in Halo 4 weren't real "railguns" but coilguns....
---
As he gazed upon his creation, he thought not of the success it would harvest, but of the deaths it would reap in the end - Me
PM me for Friend Codes or GT