reviewers are hypocrits

#21kanto_wandererPosted 2/13/2013 7:49:51 AM
Ballroompirate posted...
This is why "professional" game critics need to go away. CoD,Halo and even BF is the same crap over and over again (also with bugs/glitches and bad enemy AI) yet those games always score high, don't get me wrong I have a few favorites out of those series but it's plain obvious those games have issues, same with ACM but you know what, they can be entertaining if you actually try to get into the game you're playing.

I'm almost done with the SP portion ACM and I have to say it has it moments and it faults but I keep on enjoying the game with my motion tracker in hand and my pulse rifle in the other seeing LV-426 in a way I thought I would never dream of. My only grip is the bad Wayland-Yutani human AI and the horrible lip syncing in the cut scenes mid-late game (fyi this is the PS3 version), other than that I'm enjoying the hell out of the SP so far.

I've played 6 rounds in MP (3 as Marines and 3 as Aliens) and it has it moments, it feels weird playing as an Alien but it has it's moments and pleasures.

ACM is a pretty decent game and no where near the 4.5 score people seem to give it, it feels like a 7.5 game which could've been a little higher if they didn't add the human enemies in the game and actually put in the last stand scene they showed off at E3 (yes that scene is almost completely removed from the game somehow). I can say this the game is leagues better than the 2010 AvP game and Aliens 3 film, thats a plus in my book.

I'd say if you're a fan of the film/series of Aliens, at least rent ACM.

Few sequels tend to break the mold from how they originated. You can pick on the games you don't like all you want, but it's the tradition of repetition in the games industry, and not exclusive to FPS games. A game can rehash the same ideas and get away with it as long as it's popular, but a game that copies another game and tries to get away with it is usually at a greater disadvantage for trying to make a name for itself - and I think rightly so, because if you're going through the effort of trying to make a new IP, there should be more effort taken to make it standout from everything else that's already available.

But that said, you can grind your axes all day long about how you think CoD is **** and Halo is the same damn thing over and over again. I question why you would continue to play those games for you to know that, but I digress. None of this game's faults fall on Activision or EA or Microsoft. The game was in development hell throughout two console lifespans, and maybe we should be fortunate it came out as playable as it did. But for as long as it was being developed and as much hype they built up trying to sell it to us Aliens fans, they dropped the ball in terms of actually meeting a lot of our expectations.
#22StrelokPosted 2/13/2013 11:03:49 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
Strelok posted...
I agree with the TC.

DmC gets a 9/10 and this doesn't?
DmC has way *WAY* more glitches and is a highly controversial reboot at that...

It's also a good game, this isnt

Lol no, the game is a blight on the DMC name with, as I said, numerous glitches, regression in gameplay, FPS drops up the wazoo, first week DLC, incredibly imbalanced weapon setup, colour coded enemies, ranged weapons being virtually useless, horrible default control setup...

I'd rank that thing a 4/10.
This, closer to a 6/10 or 7/10.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#23Iceman-XPosted 2/13/2013 11:09:05 AM
Well said TC!!!
---
PSN: Iceman-X
I'm only as good as the men i serve with!!
#24TheJester2Posted 2/13/2013 11:50:07 AM
ash892005 posted...
Couldn't agree more, even b-movies are enjoyable so b-games can be too. I'm sure alien was made as a b-movie

Niether Alien nor Aliens were made as B-movies, and they aren't B-movies. Alien is one of the best movies of all time, and Aliens is a great action movie.
---
[This sig was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator for potential sexual innuendo]
PSN: Whsguy
#25Troika19Posted 2/13/2013 12:08:38 PM
Ah the traditional "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa about the review score" thread.

Grow up.
---
unceramonius DSR kdr is .5 while holding a 1.3 kdr with the Remmington. Also died less than 50 times to DSR while dying over 150 times to the Remmington.
#26heatedheavyPosted 2/13/2013 5:24:41 PM
diggyfresh posted...
neil9936 posted...
ash892005 posted...
Couldn't agree more, even b-movies are enjoyable so b-games can be too. I'm sure alien was made as a b-movie

Too large a budget for a b-movie. Alien was a heavily financed 20th Century Fox release.

ALIEN was FOX's response to Star Wars. They wanted to make a sci-fi movie that would get Star Wars fans' money, but they needed something to distinguish that movie from Star Wars. Enter: ALIEN.

It's been a cash grab franchise from the start. But that doesn't mean it's bad quality. It just has so much hit or miss in the canon franchise, and extended universe.

Name one company that doesnt make movies for "cash grab" as you call it.
---
PSN Heated420Heavy
360GT Heated420Heavy
#27TheJester2Posted 2/14/2013 6:49:10 AM
heatedheavy posted...
diggyfresh posted...
neil9936 posted...
ash892005 posted...

Too large a budget for a b-movie. Alien was a heavily financed 20th Century Fox release.

ALIEN was FOX's response to Star Wars. They wanted to make a sci-fi movie that would get Star Wars fans' money, but they needed something to distinguish that movie from Star Wars. Enter: ALIEN.

It's been a cash grab franchise from the start. But that doesn't mean it's bad quality. It just has so much hit or miss in the canon franchise, and extended universe.

Name one company that doesnt make movies for "cash grab" as you call it.

This is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read. Maybe, and I mean MAYBE it applies to Aliens, but Alien is a sci-fi horror (and one of the first of it's kind). It was in no way meant to compete with STAR WARS (a sci-fi family friendly action adventure series). Jesus...
---
[This sig was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator for potential sexual innuendo]
PSN: Whsguy
#28MEPS3Posted 2/14/2013 7:02:56 AM(edited)
ash892005 posted...
Reviewers done loadsa promo for this game, hyped it up themselves and then said its like a run of the mill fps where your strung along so they gave it 4/10. Yet every call of duty game is a corridor shooter where u are physically led through the game, and they give it 10's. Hypocrites

Issues on whether or not reviews are affected by corporate influences (which you can tell some are, particularly the REALLY whitewashed ones) preview material will NEVER be negative, for a simple reason: exclusive access to the games before they are released is a big part of their selling point. Just look at GI today compared to 10 years ago. Back then it was mostly reviews, and very detailed ones with tougher scoring (a 10 was pretty rare and even 9's weren't thrown around all the time); now it's 90% previews and ads and a few decidedly non-criticizing reviews (some reviews have literally said something like "ignore the hate, this game is AWESOME. I'm a pro, I should know). The thing is, developer's don't have to give them access, and certainly won't if the journalists start bad mouthing games while still in development.

The reviewers want that access because it helps them make money (sell copies, advertising space, etc.) plus it's awesome to get to see everything early like that. The developers want it because it's free advertising and builds hype...if it hurts their bottom line they'll stop letting people in.
#29LightningSkyPosted 2/14/2013 8:33:27 AM
The thing is this is Aliens game, it's not supposed to be a corridor shooter. It's supposed to capture the same tension we see in the movies.
#30RagnoraokPosted 2/14/2013 11:43:41 AM
kanto_wanderer posted...
ash892005 posted...
Reviewers done loadsa promo for this game, hyped it up themselves and then said its like a run of the mill fps where your strung along so they gave it 4/10. Yet every call of duty game is a corridor shooter where u are physically led through the game, and they give it 10's. Hypocrites

The fallacy of your argument is that you seem to believe the only issue that was plaguing this game for it to receive those types of scores was it being a "corridor shooter," and that the only reason that CoD receives praise is for its simple-to-follow linearity. You're wrong on both accounts. I haven't even seen any CoD game receive a ten in its last several iterations, so your point has even less validity on that basis.

What it comes down to is this: No one is telling you to like CoD. No one is saying you don't have to hate those types of games if that's your prerogative. For people who enjoy those experiences however, CoD achieves it with greater polish and refinement than the majority of its competition. If for whatever reason you can't have impartiality towards fairly judging a series because of how popular it is, then just ignore it. I don't get people who do nothing but bash a series of games they don't even play.

I totally agree. Te same ppl who bash COD and swear that it is crap are the very ones who swear that Final Fantasy 13 was a terrible game. I bet that most of these ppl never played either, but are just spouting off stereotypes that the "pro gamers" claim as facts. I have never played COD, but I doubt it is as bad as ppl make it seem. I played FF 13, and it is a masterpiece with only the linearity as its downside. I understand ppl have different opinions, but this current trend of acting like hipsters to obviously popular franchises is really saddening. This allows disgruntled gamers to spread around heavily biased opinions, and spread them around as facts through impressionable gamers.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....choose wisely.