To those who say this is a good game...

#1AndroguntherPosted 2/14/2013 8:56:57 AM
How do you defend these issues?

- Bad graphics. Bad animations, lo res textures etc... It really looks like crap. (Though this definitely isn't biggest issue. I can play games with subpar graphics if the gameplay makes up for it...

-Horrible level design. Almost all levels are linear through and through. Suffers from "enemy closet" syndrome as much as Doom did in the days of yore. Also levels are recycled which isn't really positive for such a short game.

-Bad AI. Enemies run to walls, have no tactics whatsoever. Also bad hit detection for the enemies.

-Where are my Aliens in this so called Aliens game? Half the time spent fighting zero AI bullet sponge soldiers. (And there are like two types of them).

-Bad controls. Aiming is very off and it's hard to find good sensitivity. I keep firing at walls even though I am fairly accurate FPS player in almost any other game...

-Plot is bad. Story is fetch this and go push that. No character development and all of them are stolen from Aliens' plot. And while we are at it isn't canon with Aliens or Alien 3. Acting is very subpar and the hilariously bad character models just make it worse...

Those are some really big flaws and you'd have to be pretty delusional to ignore them. Yes, I'll play it through but can't say I've enjoyed it so far (at level 9). I don't care for multiplayer so I am only basing these on SP campaign.

I guess I could enjoy the campaign with a friend but then again, I'd rather just play some other Co-Op game again. For me this game has been one of the biggest disappointments in years. It just isn't functional game and feels more like that bad Goldeneye ripoff on previous generation consoles.

Your thoughts? And please, let's keep the conversation somewhat civilized? :D
---
I've got an itchy finger and there'll be hell to pay
I'm gonna pull the trigger and blow them all away...
#2ZombiDeadZombiPosted 2/14/2013 9:02:36 AM
Why do they have to be defended?

I see the issues you raise, and I don't care about them. I am loving this game.
#3Androgunther(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:05:53 AM
Oh, maybe defend wasn't a good word... But really, how do you NOT mind them? There are 50 games that came out last year that don't have most of these issues _ I have Aliens-tinted glasses that made me like the last AVP game but this is just too much...
---
#4ZombiDeadZombiPosted 2/14/2013 9:37:55 AM
Maybe the reason I can enjoy games with flaws is because I'm not an anal ass hat who focuses on flaws.

The game is far from perfect, but it is far from "worst ever" "most disappointing" etc etc game of all time.

I enjoy it for what it is, despite the glaring issues for no other reason than I can. Maybe if people relaxed more and didn't scrutinize everything, they would enjoy games more.

Half of the bugs I have encountered have provided me with a ton of laughing, and that is worth the price of admission alone in my book.
#5FormerlySOSPosted 2/14/2013 9:43:31 AM
The entertainment value goes up if A) you enjoyed the first two movies and B) you play it with friends on Ultimate Badass. We haven't experienced anything game breaking although we've come across a few bugs. As long as your TV is sufficiently dark as it should be the graphics seem fine but we're playing for entertainment, not looks. I'd surmise the majority of players who are enjoying it are actual fans -not film critics- of at least Aliens. This wasn't a game for the FPS/CoD crowd, this was a childhood dreams for the kids who grew up with the movie.

At least that's why my friends and I enjoy it. We know its an average game by itself and we don't care. A 6.5 turns into an 8 with 3 friends turns into a 9 if all you ever wanted as a child was to hold a Smart Gun that wasn't a conveniently shaped tree branch and shoot bugs with your friends.

People like what they like; there's hardly any justification for it. It's not perfect but I'm glad I bought it, both as a fan of the movie and a gamer with at least 3 friends to play it with.
---
FreeDelGado, SMA Clan Leader
New Age Old-School Elitist Gamer
#6Ri-chanPosted 2/14/2013 10:22:45 AM
The entertainment value goes up if A) you enjoyed the first two movies and B) you play it with friends on Ultimate Badass

Nope my buddy and me are both big fans and we played Co op. And we enjoyed like 2-3 missions but ultimately we are dissapointed. The levels are no fun, no atmosphere and most times the enemy's are plain stupid or annoying like the Mercs. The Co op is awful too.
#7MalifacentXPosted 2/14/2013 10:51:20 AM
Bad graphics. Bad animations, lo res textures etc... It really looks like crap.
I think most will agree that, unless you stand staring at a computer screen, or maybe a few 'outside' textures in Hadley's hope, the texture issue is VASTLY overblown (unless you're playing the Xbox 360 version.

Horrible level design. Almost all levels are linear through and through. Suffers from "enemy closet" syndrome as much as Doom did in the days of yore. Also levels are recycled which isn't really positive for such a short game.
Have you even gotten off the Sulaco yet? Hadley's Hope was built off the floorplan of... you know... Hadley's Hope. It's supposed to be that way. As for a linear game, story-driven titles ARE mostly linear... mostly.

Bad AI. Enemies run to walls, have no tactics whatsoever. Also bad hit detection for the enemies. I'm not having problems with hit detection here. As for tactics, sounds like someone isn't playing on Ultimate Badass mode. They attack you like animals. Ravenous animals. Have you SEEN the movie?

Where are my Aliens in this so called Aliens game? Half the time spent fighting zero AI bullet sponge soldiers. (And there are like two types of them).
Human element is integral to the plot and, again, I'd LOVE to see how well you fare against these bullet sponges on Ultimate Badass.

Bad controls. Aiming is very off and it's hard to find good sensitivity. I keep firing at walls even though I am fairly accurate FPS player in almost any other game
Account for recoil, and upgrade your accuracy ratings. I'm seeing NO problems with aiming except my own reflex speed at the fast moving xenomorphs

Plot is bad. Story is fetch this and go push that. No character development and all of them are stolen from Aliens' plot. And while we are at it isn't canon with Aliens or Alien 3. Acting is very subpar and the hilariously bad character models just make it worse...
"Hilariously bad" is a bit overboard. While the faces are dated, the Aliens and Marines actually look pretty good. As for the plot, yes it IS canon and fits just fine. Calling this a fetch quest is absurd. Go play Darksiders II if you want to see what a fetch quest looks like.

Those are some really big flaws and you'd have to be pretty delusional to ignore them. Yes, I'll play it through but can't say I've enjoyed it so far (at level 9). I don't care for multiplayer so I am only basing these on SP campaign.
Are you at 'level' or 'rank' 9? While these are your opinions and entirely valid as your own point of view, you asked for feedback and this has been mine.

I guess I could enjoy the campaign with a friend but then again, I'd rather just play some other Co-Op game again. For me this game has been one of the biggest disappointments in years. It just isn't functional game and feels more like that bad Goldeneye ripoff on previous generation consoles.
You should really go back and play Goldeneye again. You are making some very overblown comparisons borne out of disappointment-rage for this title.

In closing, I am disappointed to no end at how this compares with the original demo but, as a standalone product, I have loved every minute of it.
---
PSN: TharkChieftain
You are a lightbulb assassin. ~Tmac2035 on "Splinter Cell"
#8TheCyborgNinjaPosted 2/14/2013 10:54:22 AM
All of your points are about the campaign, and frankly, FPS games never have great ones anyways most of the time. The online is awesome and I have fun.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#9Androgunther(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:34:56 AM
Oh, I meant Goldeneye on Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube :D You know the one where you played as "villain" and had a golden eye. The original is a classic.

Just finished the game on Hardened difficulty and didn't have much difficulties. Most deaths were due trying to escape through some invisible wall that prevented movement :D Doubt I'd have more fun with Ultimate Badass difficulty since the AI is broken. (And BTW, I have seen the movies and aliens definitely aren't just ravenous beasts running into your direct line of fire.)

Ah well, after one playthrough I'd rate this game 4/10. It had it's moments but ultimately it failed in almost every aspect at least for me. Original Aliens vs Predator is still miles ahead when it comes to Aliens-games :)

Man, do I wish I'd bought Dead Space 3 instead :D At least I can get some of my money back by taking this to Gamestop very soon before the price crashes...
---
#10ExarOsPosted 2/14/2013 11:58:43 AM
Androgunther posted...
Oh, I meant Goldeneye on Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube :D You know the one where you played as "villain" and had a golden eye. The original is a classic.

Just finished the game on Hardened difficulty and didn't have much difficulties. Most deaths were due trying to escape through some invisible wall that prevented movement :D Doubt I'd have more fun with Ultimate Badass difficulty since the AI is broken. (And BTW, I have seen the movies and aliens definitely aren't just ravenous beasts running into your direct line of fire.)

Ah well, after one playthrough I'd rate this game 4/10. It had it's moments but ultimately it failed in almost every aspect at least for me. Original Aliens vs Predator is still miles ahead when it comes to Aliens-games :)

Man, do I wish I'd bought Dead Space 3 instead :D At least I can get some of my money back by taking this to Gamestop very soon before the price crashes...

Cool story bro, for the record I don't have to defend a product I actually like and enjoy playing. It looks like you are the one trying to defend your own personal opinion of the game. This is why I don't visit message boards too often. The people who are enjoying the game are actually playing. People like you come here and try to convince others of why the game didn't meet your standards.

Have fun with Dead Space 3. If you liked the first 2 you will not like the third. Just defending my opinion.
---
XBOX GT: Exar0s
PS3 PSN: Exar0s