Playing L4D Lan Style [Instructions]

#1KodeNerdPosted 12/12/2008 7:32:49 PM
In order to play L4D on a LAN you must have the following:

At least one valid copy of L4D (technically none but I don't feel you should pirate this game)
A LAN (duh)
Enough computers for everyone to play on
An internet connection (you might not need this but I have not tried)

Install L4D on each computer (you can use the same account). Create a desktop shortcut and append -console to the target in its properties. Run L4D on each computer. Now type in the console for each "bind F12 toggleconsole" without quotes. This will set F12 to bring the console up (or put it away). On the hosts computer type "sv_lan 1" without quotes and then "sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0" without quotes. Now type "map" without quotes and without actually entering the command. You will see a small drop box with a list of commands and maps, use the up and down arrow keys to select the map you want and then hit enter. The map should load on the hosts computer. Now have each of the other players type "connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address on the LAN. Each will connect and there you go. Rinse and repeat for loading other campaigns.

---
George Gough
#2Jackson_HillsPosted 12/12/2008 9:04:45 PM
awesome

---
My hair is assaulting you!
#3hobihvvanPosted 12/13/2008 6:33:34 AM
Great,all i have to do now is find three friends with good laptops....
---
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum but I'm all out of gum"
#4FrostyzballsPosted 12/13/2008 6:47:45 AM
Well i will look back at this on new year when we are having out LAN party.
---
E2200 @ 2.70Ghz| 2GB Corsair Dominator @ 980Mhz| 8800GT| Sound Blaster Xtream Gamer| StealthXStream 600W| 160+500GB WD| Windows XP Pro SP2| Abit 650I SLI
#5KodeNerd(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2008 8:37:36 PM
Bump, i see this question too much.
---
George Gough
#6Evan_ArrrrPosted 12/13/2008 10:43:57 PM
Or you can do it the easy way.

One person creates a game and hosts it locally, the other people open the console, type "openserverbrowser," click the LAN tab and join the game.
---
GT: Evan ARRRR, SteamID: aWes0m3
Currently Playing: Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead
#7mucky123Posted 12/14/2008 5:48:58 AM
^^^ That way didn't work, we were connected via hamachi, and no game showedup.
---
Steve Smith + Moose Season Tracker: 70 Receptions, 1130 Yards, 6 TDs.
#2 receiving tandem. 5 yards away from #1 receiving tandem(Houston)
#8fi3rcedragonPosted 12/14/2008 5:53:41 AM
Well, me and a few friends had our computers connected together, and one person just hosted a Friends Only Game. Have everyone join the game, and host it locally.
---
I am lightning... the rain transformed. ~ Raiden, Metal Gear Solid 4
#9NightFalconPosted 12/14/2008 6:50:49 AM
Additional commands:

z_difficulty (difficulty) [set on normal as default]

maps:
no mercy = "map l4d_hospital..."
death toll = "map l4d_smalltown..."
dead air = "map l4d_airport..."
blood harvest = "map l4d_farm..."

VS mode: (pretty buggy, especially when the survivors refuse to move)

map l4d_vs_hospital... or _farm to choose either.
director_force_start 1 <-- IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE ALL ON THE HORDE

I didn't try the versus mode with my friends, but I believe that it should work after a bit of help here and there.
---
"Only two species war against each other: Ants and Humans.Talk about being civilized...
#10NightFalconPosted 12/14/2008 6:56:13 AM
Oh, and ignore what's said on a popular torrent website. You do NOT need to type "connect" in console for others to connect. Just look through the normal friends window, and you'll see it right there.
---
"Only two species war against each other: Ants and Humans.Talk about being civilized...