Finally! Second Chapter Now U.S. Bound!

#11LightHawKnightPosted 9/25/2013 7:58:33 PM
God damn, it is about time.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#12TerotrousPosted 10/3/2013 12:34:51 PM(edited)
Lol, what? It took them 3 years, and in the end, they weren't even the ones who did the translation? So they basically just did nothing this whole time?

Geez, XSeed is so totally done. Their only contribution to this game was delaying it and screwing us out of a physical release. I look forward to Carpe Fulgur taking old XSeed's place.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#13GurudaPosted 10/3/2013 5:00:12 PM
Newsflash: They didn't do the translation for FC either, the translators were contractors. The only difference here is that they got another company involved. They're still responsible for everything else.

Also, if you honestly thought there was a chance in hell of SC getting a UMD release, you are delusional. FC didn't meet expectations and SC is more expensive to produce physical copies of because it needs two UMDs and special cases (and manuals and packaging and...) and shelf space has been increasingly harder to find, not to mention that physical releases mean the retailer takes a cut. All those factors made it extremely unlikely a physical release was ever going to happen.

Oh, and if you think they could have translated SC quickly enough to have mitigated some of the cost/shelf space issues, you might want to consider the scope of the project. Over three million characters, in Japanese where one character can work out to ten or more in English. There was never a realistic chance of SC getting done in less than two years.
#14xp1337Posted 10/3/2013 6:20:47 PM
Furthermore, I forget if it was on the XSEED forums (which means it's gone) or somewhere else, but IIRC SpaceDrake said something to the effect of, "In all likelihood we go forward together [with XSEED] or we don't go forward at all" regarding if CF could/would take on the rest of the series themselves. So, if you're pinning your hopes on CF (or anyone else) just taking the series on themselves... I'd reevaluate that thought.

Not to mention XSEED still has the rights to 3rd, AFAIK.

Guruda already covered the idea of XSEED "doing nothing" or actively negatively affecting SC already, and I don't really think there's anything that needs to be added there.
---
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?
GotD (219/384) Melee v FFX
#15KaiserJanusPosted 10/3/2013 8:16:47 PM
If Carpe Fulgur was the "new XSEED" then the other games will take like a MILLENIA to even get through. Would you want that??

Now that I think about it, those two should (more like must) band together! They're both fighting a common enemy anyway. . So why the hell not?!
---
Alone an "opinion" is meaningless, but with enough people. An "opinion" can change the world.
#16TerotrousPosted 10/4/2013 7:45:03 AM(edited)
Guruda posted...
Newsflash: They didn't do the translation for FC either, the translators were contractors. The only difference here is that they got another company involved. They're still responsible for everything else.

I think you have this game mixed up with Ys Oath. That's the game where they used the fan translation as a guide when doing their translation. They discussed the process of localizing FC in the XSeed Blog, so I'm pretty sure some of their people at least worked on it.

Also, if you honestly thought there was a chance in hell of SC getting a UMD release, you are delusional.

If they released it in 2012 when it should have come out, it could have been possible.

Oh, and if you think they could have translated SC quickly enough to have mitigated some of the cost/shelf space issues, you might want to consider the scope of the project. Over three million characters, in Japanese where one character can work out to ten or more in English. There was never a realistic chance of SC getting done in less than two years.

Trails in the Sky's script is not actually that large by RPG standards. The scope of the games is average to small (they're very linear and not particularly long), and there's also only very minimal voice acting. Something like Xenoblade would be many times more work to localize than Trails, but NoE still got it done in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sure you'll also find that Carpe Fulgur only started working on this game recently, anyway (hence why there was no announcement whatsoever until a few weeks ago when they tweeted that Agate image). It'll probably take them about 6 months to localize the game.

xp1337 posted...
Not to mention XSEED still has the rights to 3rd, AFAIK.

Only while they remain in business, and based on their drastically diminished output and abandonment of physical releases over the last few years I don't realistically see that being much longer.

KaiserJanus posted...
If Carpe Fulgur was the "new XSEED" then the other games will take like a MILLENIA to even get through. Would you want that??

Carpe Fulgur was able to localize 3 quality JRPGs in 2 years. I'd be thrilled if XSeed could be that productive.

Anyway, people need to wake up and recognize that XSeed is nowhere near the company they used to be. No one was singing their praises more than me when they released Retro Game Challenge, Half-Minute Hero, and Ys Seven, but they're gone WAY downhill since then.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#17GurudaPosted 10/4/2013 11:20:23 AM
I think you have this game mixed up with Ys Oath.

I am not mistaken, they had contractors for Trails as well. I would provide a direct quote from Tom if some jackass hadn't hacked the XSEED boards.

They discussed the process of localizing FC in the XSeed Blog, so I'm pretty sure some of their people at least worked on it.

Yes, Jess edited everything, Tom helped with QA and everyone had input. Just because the people trying to figure out how to translate the bulk of the text aren't full-time XSEED employees doesn't mean they're the only ones doing work.

If they released it in 2012 when it should have come out, it could have been possible.

If they released it in 2012, they would be bankrupt. Go back and look at the kind of hours everyone put into FC, then realize that to release SC in 2012 would have meant keeping up that exact same pace for about twenty months. For a game that's a sequel to one that didn't meet expectations, foregoing other games that could be released and make them money in the meantime. XSEED has no obligation to put itself out of business because you can't be patient.

Trails in the Sky's script is not actually that large by RPG standards.

That's a load of crap and you know it. FC has a 1.5 million character script. Your typical JRPG is less than half of that. Here, have a look at the sizes of Tactics Ogre (PSP) and Final Fantasy XII. Now do the math.

http://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/22999848121

The scope of the games is average to small (they're very linear and not particularly long), and there's also only very minimal voice acting.

The fact that the game is limited to one small country has absolutely no bearing on script size. Nor does the fact that FC can be beaten in 40-50 hours. It has an enormous script, full stop.

I'm sure you'll also find that Carpe Fulgur only started working on this game recently, anyway (hence why there was no announcement whatsoever until a few weeks ago when they tweeted that Agate image).

Or maybe, they didn't say anything because it's XSEED's game and XSEED doesn't make announcements until they have something important to announce? Project Four was announced in, oh look, 2011.

Only while they remain in business, and based on their drastically diminished output and abandonment of physical releases over the last few years I don't realistically see that being much longer.

So you're butthurt that a company can't satisfy your demand for physical releases, even though they've frequently stated that they would like to do them, it's just not financially possible. Also, diminished output? Let's take a look at their release schedule since Trails, shall we?

2011: Wizardry: LoLS, Solatorobo, Fishing Resort, Corpse Party
2012: Felghana PC, Sumioni, Ys Origin, Unchained Blades, Last Story, Way of the Samurai 4, Orarhythm, Ragnarok Odyssey.
2013: Book of Shadows, Chronicles+, Pandora's Tower, Killer is Dead, Senran Kagura Burst, Rune Factory 4... and we still have Valhalla Knights 3, Memories of Celceta and Trails PC coming out.

So yeah, their output is sure down these days...

Carpe Fulgur was able to localize 3 quality JRPGs in 2 years. I'd be thrilled if XSeed could be that productive.

See previous response. Whether you like the games or not has no bearing on how productive XSEED has been.
#18LevittaPosted 10/4/2013 1:23:22 PM
Terotrous posted...
I'm sure you'll also find that Carpe Fulgur only started working on this game recently, anyway (hence why there was no announcement whatsoever until a few weeks ago when they tweeted that Agate image). It'll probably take them about 6 months to localize the game.

This literally contradicts everything Carpe Fulgar has said about this subject in this post:
http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=48
---
Trails in the Sky has some of the best writing and most fleshed out world I've seen in a RPG. Now coming to Steam Winter 2013. Sequel confirmed Summer 2014
#19xp1337Posted 10/4/2013 3:30:06 PM
Terotrous posted...

XD

God, I wish. If SC was something XSEED or CF could localize in "about 6 months" we'd probably have Sen by 2016 and just be totally caught up with the series by the end of the decade.

But that is perhaps the most unrealistic take on the SC localization I have ever seen.
---
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?
GotD (219/384) Melee v FFX
#20vinz2Posted 10/5/2013 3:36:20 AM
FK YEA!!!!

Only one more year to go :3

Time to start replaying the first one.

Im so getting this maybe even twice.
---
Trainspotting