I'm scared about how long this will take me to finish.

#1yoshi006Posted 9/19/2013 7:11:03 PM
It took me 90 hours to beat the first game (just one playthough), and this game is supposed to be at least twice as long. I'm scared. o.o

Anyway, I'm so excited for this! I thought that FC was just pretty average, but it was enjoyable and the ending was excellent. And even though I don't consider FC to be one of the best RPGs I've played, SC has the potential to be absolutely amazing!
---
Good gameplay can easily salvage a bad story. Good story can never save bad gameplay.
The best games, however, have both.
#2GurudaPosted 9/19/2013 11:55:02 PM
That's an... unusually high clear time. I beat SC in about that same amount, including all sidequests, lots of fishing and basically trying to do everything possible. Was there anything in particular that took you a long time in the first game?

And yeah, if you liked how FC ended (cliffhanger and long wait for the sequel aside), I think you'll enjoy SC when it comes.
#3yoshi006(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:17:50 PM
I spoke to every NPC every time the dialogue changed, and that certainly added up. XD
---
Good gameplay can easily salvage a bad story. Good story can never save bad gameplay.
The best games, however, have both.
#4GurudaPosted 9/20/2013 6:33:55 PM
That will do it. ;-)

The only games I ever tried that on are The 3rd (which has way fewer people to talk to) and the most recent game Ao. Let us never speak of that again. If you don't go overboard on NPC chat, you'll probably have a clear time roughly where mine is. I tracked down a few NPCs I was interested in whenever I was in the area but didn't go overboard with it. If you do try to talk to everyone in SC, there's a particular point where you can easily burn a ton of hours.
#5Hours_LeftPosted 9/20/2013 11:45:25 PM
My FC clear time is really high too, but I enjoyed every second of it.

I can't wait to dive into that sweet, sweet NPC dialogue. :)

---
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS), Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
Wanting: Ankha, Peaches & Tangy in New Leaf! (TBA)
#6kkhohohoPosted 9/21/2013 4:18:01 AM
Eh, honestly, I don't see what the rage about the NPC's is. Yes, they do change their dialogue instead of just saying the same old thing over and over, but when what they have to say still isn't all that interesting, you stop talking to most of them after a while, and you just go back to the much more interesting main story. :P
#7vorfeedPosted 9/21/2013 9:05:39 AM(edited)
kkhohoho posted...
Eh, honestly, I don't see what the rage about the NPC's is. Yes, they do change their dialogue instead of just saying the same old thing over and over, but when what they have to say still isn't all that interesting, you stop talking to most of them after a while, and you just go back to the much more interesting main story. :P

It depends really. I found some of the "mini stories" with some of the NPCs very fun and definitely amusing. Then there are NPC's that are reactive to characters in the party, (that's moreso in the later games, though) so I would hunt them down and talk to them. I don't focus on *all* of them, but there's a lot of world building in the NPCs alone, too.

As in-depth as the world is, and as much as Falcom likes to withhold what could be critical evidence for theories for later in the games, the NPCs can (and sometimes do!) hold crucial information.

In fact, a good specific example of this is with perfect perfect timing to speak to one of the NPCs in SC, you will get hints of things to come later in the game.

I'm trying to be vague, but don't look if you don't want SC spoilers:
I mean trying to catch the right moment of talking to the bishop in Grancel. He's the one that received a particular package containing something specific used in SC's ending. It's kind of a haunting conversation, since not only did he know exactly what he received and what it would do, but he wanted nothing to do with it, as well.
---
- Endless History: A Falcom News Site - http://www.esterior.net -
- http://www.sanctuarycrew.com | http://www.eidenyaku.com -
#8LevittaPosted 9/21/2013 9:43:14 AM(edited)
kkhohoho posted...

I think what they have to say is very interesting myself. Sure not every story you followed with the NPCs would be gripping tales that would leave one impressed, but thats why it worked. The NPCs created a powerful form of activity if you followed their day to day lives from the overly generous buisness man to his more down to earth wife who worry's about their financial situation. Its easy to feel a sense of life coming from the world.

Outside of that activity also shared a sense worldly connectivity. I would often stumble upon stories that would intersect from across multiple regions. For example you know that boy who gives you a sidequest in to find his shiny rock in the prologue. Well when Joshua explains its a broken quarts to him he shows great interest in it. Then you can meet his mother a Calvardian business women peddling goods, but finds they're not selling in Rolent and decides to leave for Grancel soon. We then find out when we get to Zeiss that she is buying orbments to sell in Calvard with the money she made selling her goods in Grancel and her son tells us that when he gets older he wants to work as an Orbal Engineer after seeing the astonishing sights of Zeiss.

Then we can see his mother trying to buy an Orbal camera, but shes being serviced by a scientist who only understands orbments through efficiency and not usability, which greatly confuses the mother. We can also track this scientist's connection to a story back in Ruan and the weapon shop in Zeiss.

Its kind of like finding a secret in other games when I find all these connections, but instead of an item I get more immersed in the setting.

I'm baffled that Falcom could keep track of this massive web of stories branching across all of Liberl. It really is telling the story of world, when you have hundred of stories being told in conjunction to Estelle's journey. I honestly feel this makes Zemuria an incredibly compelling world and one of the most authentic settings I've found in fiction because of these NPCs.
---
Trails in the Sky has some of the best writing and most fleshed out world I've seen in a RPG. Now coming to Steam Winter 2013. Sequel confirmed Summer 2014
#9VeghEstherPosted 9/21/2013 11:23:52 AM(edited)
Well if you X/O button mash to skip all text but the max BP choices FC is beatable with 100% BP in only 25 hours SC won't take over 30 if you do that which is very easy to do I set SC onwards to "easy" mode only.

Yes when I play JRPG's I play them for the battles not the long text the games have.
#10Radiantist027Posted 9/22/2013 12:26:40 AM(edited)
VeghEsther posted...
Well if you X/O button mash to skip all text but the max BP choices FC is beatable with 100% BP in only 25 hours SC won't take over 30 if you do that which is very easy to do I set SC onwards to "easy" mode only.

Yes when I play JRPG's I play them for the battles not the long text the games have.

Than you're playing this series (3/4) wrong.

Play Ys instead.
---
Everyone should go get and play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Seriously, go out and buy it!