Battle Mage Skill Build?

#1mario753Posted 10/29/2009 8:42:40 PM
I'm currently making a Battle Mage, and I've done a bit of research and came up with this build. Note that I intend to pvp quite a bit later on.

http://www.aradsociety.com/planner/?class=battlemage#040:uMe9PbuEfvMkuDbuOkvJbuFmwVbvKhwPbuJivPbuGguNdwQbwSb

First, about chasers, I read it's better to focus on three or so chasers and max them. Light chasers are essential for combos because they launch and the attack speed is immensely useful, neutral's required for Gold Dragon Spear later and the movement speed is useful, and fire's good for the strength boost. I know Chaser Press is fairly useless, so I skipped it entirely. I've read mixed opinions on Chaser Generator, but I thought it'd be useful so I gave it one level. Mana Shield is maxed for survival and Phase Shift is at 1 since it's that's good enough for escaping. Quick Rebound is there because it's just as useful.

What I'm not about is what to do with the rest of my SP. Is Backstep + Cancel useful as a Battle Mage? It's always helped with other classes, but Battle Mages have speed and attack speed buffs, so would I still be able to avoid attacks easily? How about Stabbing Wheel? Is it worthwhile to bring it to 5 and get the cancel for it? Is Palm Blast cancel useful since I'm just using it in combos mostly? What about Panzer? Seems possibly useful in PvP, but I read it's only good if it's either 5 or 10 levels. How about Disenchant? At level 4, it allows two debuffs, which seems useful in PvP since I could even debuff during combos. Thoughts and comments about any of the questions and/or the build overall are greatly appreciated.
---
One has distress. Another got hopeless longing.
There, accept such sorrow, Our precious treasured place "MAHORABA"
#2crate3333Posted 10/29/2009 9:11:33 PM
Max phase shift. It is the best skill in the game in pvp, and cutting its cooldown by 1/3 and reducing the post-warp lag makes it even more the best skill in the game. The buffs get better too as an added bonus. With level 10 phase shift you can turn their combo into your combo (sometimes); with level 1 you can only use it to escape.

Max weapon uppercut since it's maybe your best move. You want the extra launch height on priests too for sure.

Why neutral chaser 12? You will hardly ever get neutral chasers except from chaser generator, and gold dragon spear only needs 10. Honestly with the level 40 cap I think it's best to either leave them at 9 (if you want chaser press) or 4 (if you don't). You do want level 1 chaser generator though.

Since you already have dragon fang 5, I'd get level 1 water chaser. It's definitely useful pve, and if you want more chasers pvp then it's good there too. You can turn it off if you don't want the water chasers pvp.

I would most definitely get backstep + cancel.

You also don't need to put SP into fire chaser yet. It is a good skill, and leveling it is definitely a viable option, but it's not necessary.

Other good skills to put SP in: Panzer Hodor, Disenchant (up to 4), Palm Blast, possibly get stabwheel 5 plus shadow chaser 1 if you want to use lots of chasers.

At the least I'd cut 2 levels of neutral chaser, grab backstep + cancel, and max out weapon uppercut and phase shift; I'd probably also cut 1 level of fire chaser for water chaser 1. The rest is just things to consider.
---
The only opinion one should care about is one's own.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No.
#3crate3333Posted 10/29/2009 9:19:24 PM
Oh, right, and palm blast cancel is decent. Try out the class for yourself and decide if you'll use it.
---
#4mario753(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2009 9:21:57 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean about Neutral Chasers. Level 10 seems like enough, but the extra attack and slight speed boost still seemed tempting, although 2% speed doesn't really seem like that much now. I was probably going to skip Shadow Chasers as I heard they're not that useful and that they launch the opponent differently than the others. How are the water chasers though? The debuff only lasts 3 seconds, so its use is limited, but defence is always nice. However, isn't the idea of a mage in general to avoid getting hit? I suppose it would come in handy if I do get caught. How do water chasers launch the target though? I know fire knocks away, light launches up, and shadow hits towards you, but how do neutral and water chasers launch?

I'll definitely max Phase Shift since cutting the cooldown and warp lag seems immensely useful. Other than that, I will probably invest in Backstep + Cancel and maybe Disenchant.

Thanks for the help so far. Any more opinions?
---
One has distress. Another got hopeless longing.
There, accept such sorrow, Our precious treasured place "MAHORABA"
#5crate3333Posted 10/29/2009 9:45:01 PM
Level 10 seems like enough, but the extra attack and slight speed boost still seemed tempting

If you're going to level up neutral chasers, I think it'd be most effective if you did a two-chaser build (neutral + light probably) and maxed out chaser generator. Otherwise, yes the movespd buff is nice, but I think level 10 is good enough and the sp can be better spent elsewhere. If you disagree, go ahead and level it up.

How are the water chasers though? The debuff only lasts 3 seconds, so its use is limited, but defence is always nice. However, isn't the idea of a mage in general to avoid getting hit?

The reason you'd grab water chaser is to have more chasers (very useful pve and worth it just for that in my opinion, since you do after all have to level up to get your high level skills and sp). The debuff is worthless unless you level the chaser since it'll be too low a level to ever proc, and the pdef buff is nowhere near as good as the str/movespd/aspd buffs. Quite possibly worse than shadow chaser's crit buff too. But just having more chasers can be a good thing. I think the best battlemage on the US server has level 1 in all chasers, and I know I've seen korean BMs with all chasers. I've also seen korean BMs who didn't have all the chasers; it's up to you.

If you decide you want stabwheel cancel or just want to level stabwheel, then I'd recommend level 1 shadow chaser for the same reason. But with stabwheel 1 as your plan, shadow chaser is a huge sp investment.

Water chasers hit exactly like neutral chaser does. Easiest is to just let you see for yourself since you get neutral chaser 1 upon class change anyway.
---
#6enameaPosted 10/29/2009 10:24:51 PM
On your current build, bring your Neutral Chaser down to lvl10. The damage is lackluster and, while movement speed is nice, higher ranks become unnecessary unless your trying to outrun another battlemage.

For Chaser Generator, I recommend putting it up to lvl 5. Each point is essentially as effective as the last, but lvl 5 makes full use of the time interval chaser (one every 10 seconds for 30 seconds).

Cancel Palm Blast is a definite no. If you're going to chain Palm Blast into your normal hits, cancel into Dragon Fang, then smack them with your Palm Blast. If you spend the 50 SP from Cancel Palm Blast and put it into Dragon Fang, it'll be a much faster chain. I guess there are a few uses Cancel Palm Blast has, but very limited. One is you can't chain if you miss the Dragon Fang. The other is if you happen to start a wall combo with your next two chasers being light, allowing you to fully charge your Palm Blast.

Cancel Stabbing Wheel is also a no. Dragon Fang holds the essentially the same range and speed, and has a generally short enough cooldown not to worry too much about. Plus you can chain into your Weapon Uppercut, allowing for a longer combo (plus a light chaser). There's a wiser investment for those 170 SP you would spend.

Battlemages are one of the classes which would find Backstep+Cancel most useful. Even though they're fast, there is still quite a delay from attacking to running. Other melee classes typically can readily go into a grab animation, removing the need to run.

Panzer is relatively useful, but not absolutely necessary. If you have enough free SP to get lvl 5+, I would do it.

Disenchant is quite useful, and I would suggest lvl 4. Removing a buff is like removing an arm and a leg in many cases. And rebuffing in battle is generally difficult.

Spear Mastery is a last priority. The extra damage is nice, but especially in PvP, speed overrules power. It's suggested that you level up Weapon Uppercut and Dragon Fang before your mastery for the attack speed.

And I see I take long to post... more to comment on. Lvl 1 Water Chaser is a tempting option, but I wonder exactly what the snare level means. If it's referring to the effectiveness shown is in relation to opponents that level, then lvl 1 would be a hinderance. If that were the case, I would opt to max Water and leave Fire at lvl 1 since the buff for each additional level is 1/3 of the first.

And yes, Phase Shift technically gets "better" with each point invested. Since the downtime and delay decrease linearly, each point removes a larger percentage of the current level's time. So it's typically either 1 or max for this skill.

Looking through your thoughts, I suggest something like this.
http://www.aradsociety.com/planner/?class=battlemage#040:uMj9PbuEfvAfvMk0TbuDb0UbuOkvDevJbuFkwVbwPbuJivPfuGguNdwQbwSb
#7crate3333Posted 10/29/2009 10:37:35 PM
Fire does better damage and has a better buff, and water's debuff is mostly worthless even if it procs since it'll likely do that in the middle of a combo. It's a very nice effect pve, but lackluster pvp where it only can hit one target.

Also, cancel palm blast is very useful for one thing that cancel dragon fang is worthless for: you can use it as a getaway. You can't cancel out of dragon fang if it doesn't connect.
---
#8Hikari_SwordPosted 10/29/2009 11:10:08 PM
Say, does that planner assume you do all the missions and get the SP books from them?
---
http://ca.youtube.com/user/HikariSword~~~Plat FC 1462 5667 8401
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU77IMtyXew
#9ZefiruShrikePosted 10/30/2009 7:32:25 AM
I personally went with a chaser build, where I essentially maxed all of my chasers (except neutral) and left my attack skills at a minimum. It's worse for PVE, but damn it's fun.
---
...Claude banging buttons like an ass is THE BIGGEST SCIENTIFIC BREAKTHROUGH in the entire 400 year span between SO2 and SO3.--Kaiyan Wang