Monk Skills/Build

#1Dark_AvatarPosted 12/12/2009 3:43:56 PM
So, my Priest is level 16 right now, and I'm planning on making him a Monk; The thing is, I've never played a Monk, I've never seen a Monk in PvP, and basically I'm relying on skill descriptions to know what stuff does. o.o So I'm in need of a bit of help.

I made a "skeleton" build of what I'm planning on getting, but I don't even know if the cancels are necessary or if I'll even end up using the skills (Since they might be useless).

http://www.aradsociety.com/planner/?class=monk#040:9PbuIfwLfwCbwNf9AbuJbuCbwJbwIfwHlwGbvGfwMbuDbvIbwKbvHbvMbvKb

I'm left with 900SP if I -do- grab what I'm getting there, but I really don't have any idea what I should spend it on. Any suggestions? Any tips? Advice?

And yeah, the only skill I maxed was Ducking Body Blow cause I like when I get my Stun hits on my Striker, so... Stun sounds nice. :D
#2Dark_Avatar(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2009 3:53:06 PM
Sorry for double post, but just realized I totally missed Strike, too. :x Oops.
#3crate3333Posted 12/12/2009 4:04:35 PM
Your build (plus strike 5) is fine, but you probably want 1 level of sacred counter. Lucky straight cancel is also probably not too necessary, but not a big deal. You most likely want to level chopping hammer as much as you can.

Past that you can do what you want. Personally I'd grab Furious Grab 1 for utility and max out quick parry. Doesn't matter too much, Monks don't have a lot of places to spend SP so you'll probably end up pouring some into ducking straight or something just because you have nowhere else to put it.
---
The only opinion one should care about is one's own.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No.
#4crate3333Posted 12/12/2009 4:05:09 PM
Oh, and I like slow heal 6 for pve. Yes, it's pretty much useless in pvp, but I still have more SP than I know what to do with.
---
#5TimeBeardPosted 12/12/2009 4:34:21 PM
Max Chopping and exquisite. They are your heavy sources of damage with our current patch
---
A fan of things that do stuff.
#6Dark_Avatar(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2009 4:49:48 PM
http://www.aradsociety.com/planner/?class=monk#040:9PbuHfuIfwLfwCbwNf9AbuJbuCbwJbwIfwHlwGbvGiwMbuDbvIgwKbvHbvMbvKb

^ That's what I got now. 5 in Strike, Maxed Exquisite and Chopping Hammer, and grabbed level 1 Sacred Counter. I do have a few questions, though;

How exactly does Quick Parry work? One part says if I'm attacked during the skill's activation, the other says if I use it before I use a skill... So, what exactly does it do?

And Sacred Counter; When I use it, do I hold the button down until I want to cancel it? Or does it only stay up for a certain length of time?

Other than that, though, thanks a bunch for the info. :3 Monk is looking alot more promising now that I know I can't really screw up my build TOO badly.

OH! I suppose I should mention I'm aiming more for a PvP build for this. :x
#7crate3333Posted 12/12/2009 4:55:42 PM
How exactly does Quick Parry work? One part says if I'm attacked during the skill's activation, the other says if I use it before I use a skill... So, what exactly does it do?
Raises your evasion at the start (the duration depends on the level of QP) of the skills mentioned in the description.

And Sacred Counter; When I use it, do I hold the button down until I want to cancel it? Or does it only stay up for a certain length of time?
You press the button and you counter hits from the front for the next couple seconds till it ends. So, not like slayer Guard.
---
#8Dark_Avatar(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2009 5:04:58 PM
Oh, okay, thanks. QP seems pretty useful now that I know what it does. :D

I don't think I really need any higher than Level 1 Sacred Counter though. o.o
#9Sephiroth96752Posted 12/12/2009 5:16:39 PM
Monk has few skills to put his SP into. Just get 5 in Double/Ducking Uppercut (For Tornado) 5 in Smasher/Lucky Straight (Smasher Cancel as well, Lucky Straight is just prereq for Exquisite Combo) Learn Quick Rebound, Ducking, Sway, (And their cancels) as well as max Chopping Hammer, Exquisite, Tornado, Shadow, Double Shadow, and just about any other useful skill. Monk is pretty much a "Max everything useful" class.
---
"My reach is global, my tower secure.. My cause in noble, my power is pure."
"Man has been using iron since The Stone Age"