Rank the difficulty of the versions of ff1 games..

#1KaspaUFgatorPosted 7/25/2012 7:27:19 AM
I am guessing FF1 NES takes the cake but after that... what is the order?

I know there are difficulty settings on some of the others but just over all, rank in order of difficulty the following with reasons: FF1 PS (Origins), FF1 GBA (Dawn of Souls), and FF1 PSP.
---
Gators, Yankees, Jets, and Knicks!!
#2ItsHip2BSquarePosted 7/25/2012 11:59:32 AM
I've been playing Origins (PS1 Classic) and it is extremely tough. I think what's really hurting me is the spell casting limitations (you aren't given mana, you can only cast each level of spells so many times before having to rest).

I'd say Origins is the hardest and then Dawn of Souls/FF for PSP are about the same difficulty.
---
Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks? Cubivore and PSO I & II forever!! MegaMan Member #3
#3KaspaUFgator(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 7:58:01 PM
ItsHip2BSquare posted...
I've been playing Origins (PS1 Classic) and it is extremely tough. I think what's really hurting me is the spell casting limitations (you aren't given mana, you can only cast each level of spells so many times before having to rest).

I'd say Origins is the hardest and then Dawn of Souls/FF for PSP are about the same difficulty.

The limitations is just like the NES one but even worse, if you selected a target in battle and it dies, usually your character will attack the next one... nope not in the NES one it would be considered a missed attack... very difficult. So the PSP one is just as easy as the GBA one based on something besides just the mana cost?
---
#4ItsHip2BSquarePosted 7/26/2012 10:04:06 AM
I'm glad you pointed out the attack/miss. I thought I was losing my mind last week when I was playing Origins. Having only played a couple of the GBA remakes, I was assuming attacks rerouted themselves if the enemy was defeated.

Well the PSP/GBA versions both have rerouted attacks and mana vs casting limitations. Also, whenever you go into a weapon/armor stores, these versions have the ^ = v on your characters letting you know if the equipment is better than, equal to or worse than what they currently have equipped. That's a HUGE help in my opinion.
---
Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks? Cubivore and PSO I & II forever!! MegaMan Member #3
#5BareknuckleRooPosted 7/29/2012 2:17:54 AM
GBA and PSP are both easiest as their mechanics, exp gain and shop prices are all based on Origins' Easy Mode.
#6NE0_ARSONISTPosted 8/16/2012 4:07:24 PM
lol i actually just posted somthing about this :P

im playing the PSP version and this is the first time ive played FF1 and i gotta say its rediculously easy thus far. i honestly dont think ive had a problem with a single battle the whole game and im only lvl 35!! in the Mirage Tower =/

does it get suddenly harder later or summin?
#7CaldorPosted 8/17/2012 12:09:25 AM
PS1 version is the hardest by far. It takes the old NES limitations, and also adds a few new ones of its own. One example is potions in the NES. Always healed 30 HP. In Origins, it was randomized. If you're poisoned while fighting in the NES it was 1 hp/turn. In Origins its 5% damage/turn. Also in Origins some monsters regen 5% of their hp/turn. I'm not sure but Origins may have fixed (or maybe that's just GBA/PSP) the intelligence bug, so that a Black Mage will benefit more from using a Mage Staff in battle than say a Thief.
---
Too many games, not enough time!
March 3, 2009. My first contribution to reach 100,000 hits.
#8KaspaUFgator(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 10:26:38 AM
Caldor posted...
PS1 version is the hardest by far. It takes the old NES limitations, and also adds a few new ones of its own. One example is potions in the NES. Always healed 30 HP. In Origins, it was randomized. If you're poisoned while fighting in the NES it was 1 hp/turn. In Origins its 5% damage/turn. Also in Origins some monsters regen 5% of their hp/turn. I'm not sure but Origins may have fixed (or maybe that's just GBA/PSP) the intelligence bug, so that a Black Mage will benefit more from using a Mage Staff in battle than say a Thief.

NES is the hardest... limits on spells not mp, hit / miss if you target an enemy that already is dead, prices of things are much more expensive... PS one is MUCH easier than the NES version.
---
#9BareknuckleRooPosted 8/24/2012 10:58:56 AM
prices of things are much more expensive... PS one is MUCH easier

That makes it obvious you were playing on the PS1's easy mode, which modifies the prices of items and exp rates (to the same as the remakes, hence part of why the remakes are so easy).
#10face235Posted 9/5/2012 6:52:46 AM
NE0_ARSONIST posted...
lol i actually just posted somthing about this :P

im playing the PSP version and this is the first time ive played FF1 and i gotta say its rediculously easy thus far. i honestly dont think ive had a problem with a single battle the whole game and im only lvl 35!! in the Mirage Tower =/

does it get suddenly harder later or summin?

Have you tried taking on the bonus dungeons? The Earthgift Shrine, Hellfire Chasm, Lifespring Grotto? You'll unlock the last two after the events of the Mirage Tower. The Whisperwind Cove and the Mysterious Labyrinth.
---
{aB} ZSB 2009 Game of the Year:
Eternal Darkness