Annex, raze or puppet?

#1kingfencerPosted 10/24/2010 6:14:40 AM
I puppet 4 cities, but they kept on upgrading stuff and spiraling my upkeep to hell, my trading post just couldn't keep up, what do you usually pick?
#2Rahven2kPosted 10/24/2010 7:01:12 AM
Pupput, unless the city is in a really crappy location in which I raze... I rarely use Annex unless the city has a REALLY hammer heavy area.
---
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who speak binary and those that dont...
#3RedMage323Posted 10/24/2010 7:06:42 AM
I always raze unless there is a resource nearby that I want. Then I annex it.
---
Any weapon that relies on the stupidity of your enemies is always good. - Franky_McShanky
#4emericaPosted 10/24/2010 9:13:24 AM
Raze unless there is a useful wonder. You can always just move a settler to the freed up space and found a new city that works better with your nearby cities, i.e. not 3 nodes away.
---
TF2 - [LUE] emerica
#5KJ456Posted 10/24/2010 9:44:25 AM
Annex, raze or sell to another civ
---
I think, therefore I am... I think.
#6silver knuxPosted 10/24/2010 9:47:42 AM
If I capture I city I don't want I like to sell it to somebody else. The AI are suckers for this sort of thing. I get tons of money, resources, and special treatment and they get stuck with a crappy settlement that will do them more harm than good.
---
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+4
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png
#7tiger_kingPosted 10/24/2010 9:48:43 AM
I always raze. Unless they have something I can use, then I just puppet.
---
Cali trees.
#8nukedysfunkPosted 10/24/2010 12:02:54 PM
That's interesting that a lot of you guys raze most of the time. I have been using puppet about 95% of the time, and only raze if it's in a poor location. I guess I see the logic though, so maybe I'll change strategies.
---
"She's as cold as ice... paradise..."
#9BobkyouPosted 10/24/2010 12:46:40 PM
I also just raze, unless its a capital or the city has a good wonder in it. Puppeting destroys my economy, still gives me some unhappyness, and is downright not useful. As for selling the city to someone else, there was probably a reason I took over the city to begin with and I'd rather not have someone else on my borders.

There is one exception to that though. If the city in question is far away from me and shares a border with civ x, I'll sell the city to civ y for the sole purpose of creating tension between the two of them. The AI hates sharing borders with anyone, so they'll end up declaring war on each other and then I'll swoop in during the aftermath to clean both of them up.
#10RedMage323Posted 10/24/2010 1:18:26 PM

That's interesting that a lot of you guys raze most of the time. I have been using puppet about 95% of the time, and only raze if it's in a poor location. I guess I see the logic though, so maybe I'll change strategies.

The reason many people raze is because they've realized that puppeting a city state will eventually just have it use up your aluminum and uranium, which is extremely annoying when you're trying to build military units, and annexing will cause more problems than it's worth if it's not in a good location
---
Any weapon that relies on the stupidity of your enemies is always good. - Franky_McShanky