Oil is everywhere

#1stefan899Posted 12/3/2010 2:33:57 AM
I cant believe the amount of oil there is in my game. I have about 10 tiles with oil in my civ and there are many more scattered about in the world. In Civ 4 you were lucky to have more than 3 - they were very rare. I was looking forward for some oil wars but no chance of that happening. Oil should always be rare - never abundent.
#2erhall01Posted 12/3/2010 3:09:07 AM

Your talking about just one game right? I've found that some games have more of one resource than what might be usual, however in other games it becomes normal. I would also venture to guess that in your current game, there are other resources that are fairly rarer than normal right? Because what I've discovered is than in said games with a specific resource being abundent, there are other resources that become rare.

I had one specific game where my rival had a ton of oil and coal, and I had almost none, and let me tell you I barely made it through the industrial age. I felt the game had cheated but decided to stick it out. To my surprise when the modern age came I discovered I had almost all of the world's aluminum. It ended up balancing itself out.

#3Deaths_BladePosted 12/3/2010 4:59:16 AM
^This.

The game seems to balance itself out, and frankly I'm happy about that. I remember some strategy games which didn't randomise such things. It's a pain in the ass to fight an opponent with unlimited resources and a significant terrain advantage.
---
[Scientology] operates on the following principle: http://i.imgur.com/moYsu.jpg - Unspeakable Evil
#4jayhawk88Posted 12/3/2010 5:58:21 AM
The one I always seem to get short-changed on is aluminum. I can't recall a game I've played where there have been more than 3 or 4 sources.

---
Didn't you know? Marvel's Hell is really DC Comics. - Entertainer13
#5Pseudo_LegacyPosted 12/4/2010 12:42:05 AM
^nope
me too, i once had to conquer a Civ just to get their Aluminum. They've been hostile for a time so i can't get a fair trade. they deserved it.

A funny thing was when I tried to play a Cultural game with Egypt,
the game gave me a map abundant in Marble. >_<
I had like 1 next to the start point, and like 5 within range for settlement.
---
HOLD IT!! - keeping this until PW is confirmed, whether in or otherwise, on MvC3
Jack In, Official Lan Hikari of the MvC3 Boards, Execute!
#6stefan899(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2010 2:21:19 AM
Well I only have two gold tiles, so I guess in my game that is the rare resource. But I still feel that oil should always be rare in every game - just makes it more realistic.
#7jayhawk88Posted 12/6/2010 3:21:32 AM
Well I only have two gold tiles, so I guess in my game that is the rare resource. But I still feel that oil should always be rare in every game - just makes it more realistic.

Thing is though, oil isn't really that rare. There are 20 countries that are capable of producing over a million barrels a day, and major deposits range the world over from the US/Canada, Russia, China, Mexico, Venezuela, and obviously the Middle East. Hell even India was capable of producing some 878k barrels a day as recently at 2009, according to Wiki.

---
#8BlubadoxPosted 12/6/2010 10:38:57 AM

Sometimes it's hard to find aluminum-last game I had to defeat a couple of allies to get hold of it. The trick is not to become dependant on your allies for strategic resources, this applies in real life as well.

#9fuzzybean646Posted 12/7/2010 1:19:55 PM
What everyone was saying before, there have been some games where I get literally no oil or coal and it is the worst, but there are other games where I am literally just floating on the stuff. It all really depends, in one game I remember I had plus 54 Iron, and was using like 23 already...
#10jayhawk88Posted 12/7/2010 2:24:35 PM
I was playing a game the other night that had a spot with 3 oil patches, a fish, and a sheep all within reach of the opening border of a newly settled town. Just outside the opening range but easily reachable was also another oil patch, a fifth oil in the ocean, a spice I think, and a Horse. Abundant resources obviously but still. I was late into a culture win so it didn't really matter much, but it was fun to settle anyway.

---