Constant internet connection required?

#1Vari3tyPosted 7/6/2010 8:59:51 PM

So I've been browsing around trying to find an answer to see if a constant internet connection is required to play this game. I really have no interest in multiplayer, and I really want to get this game, but if it requires me to have a constant connection I might just go back to playing Civ 3 & 4. Anyway, so has this been determined yet or is it yet unknown? I really hope it doesn't have it since I've been playing Civ 3 for around seven years now and would like to be able to do the same with this game.

#2King_Aragorn49Posted 7/7/2010 5:45:08 PM
No you dont. You need steam. Once verefied online and all that during install, simply flick steam to offline mode (or start the computer minus a connection) and your free to play offline.

You will however, as is standard practise these days, need to be online during install. And have steam which depending on which side of the fence your on will either be good/really bad/dont give a dang.
#3Cabose420Posted 7/7/2010 9:59:15 PM
as King said, you don't have to be online to play the game. The game will require Steam, which requires an online verification for you to install the game. once verified, you can set Steam to offline mode, where it will save your profile info locally and won't require a connection to its servers to verify your games.

also if your in the middle of a game and connected to Steam, loosing connection will not boot you from the game, in case you were wondering.

if your computer is constantly connected to the internet then you should have no problems at all with the game.
#4sifer2Posted 7/9/2010 6:24:55 PM
Only games I think are requiring constant internet connection are Ubisofts newer games. Cause they use their own DRM that requires it. Steam itself only requires you to be connected to the Internet during the installation an updating process.
#5Norrec3Posted 7/9/2010 9:36:18 PM
My guess is Ubisoft's days are numbered untill they get rid of that horrible DRM. I can put up with steam because if the internet goes down you can still run it and the games that need it. I've heard about times wehre Ubisoft's servers go down and prevent people from playing games that don't even have multiplayer. What were they thinking bringing the worst part of MMO's(down for maintenence and random crashes) and putting them into every other game?

On the Steam page for Settlers 7 it has in all caps down at the bottom something along the lines of,

"WARNING! THIS GAME REQUIRES A INTERNET CONNECTION AT ALL TIMES! INABILITY TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET WILL RENDER YOU UNABLE TO PLAY THIS GAME!"

Thats bad enough, but then they toss in this next sentence,

"UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://thesettlers.us.ubi.com/."
#6AntorPosted 7/11/2010 8:13:57 PM
That's why I just have my 'friend' install iso versions of the games so I dont have to 1. Deal with this "you must be online at some point" crap for non online games and 2. I don't have to pay to own them yay! WIN
---
This ain't Sea World, this is real as it gets!