DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11
5 years ago#1
I just fired up the game and it gives you the option to run using either Dx 9 or 11. When I ran it in 11, the game was slow as molasses, but with 9 I'm getting close to 60 fps most of the time and this is with everything running on high settings at 1600x900. I was a little worried for a second there when I first loaded it using the recommended Dx 11 and the performance was so bad, but Dx 9 is running great.

But I'm curious why Dx 11 would be so slow...anybody have any ideas? I have Dx 11 on my machine so I would like to use it if possible although the only difference between the 2 that I see in the settings is that there's no anti-aliasing using Dx9.
5 years ago#2
Same exact problems
5 years ago#3
Dumb question but your card supports dx 11 right? Not sure exactly what graphical differences there would be.
5 years ago#4
^As he said. If your graphics card doesnt support dx11 then it will be sloooooooooow.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who speak binary and those that dont...
5 years ago#5
how do you know if your graphics support directx 11?
Dark Defender
5 years ago#6
Best basic rule is if you have one of the newest cards you should have dx11. If not use dx9.
I believe you can check via the 'dxdiag' command.
Currently Playing: WoW, Civ 5
5 years ago#7
I ran dxdiag and it says DirectX 11 which is why this is odd. My card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M if that helps.
5 years ago#8
if you have a 400 series card from NVidia or a 5000 series card from ATI then you will support DX 11 otherwise its 10 and lower
5 years ago#9
dxdiag will only tell you what version of DirectX software is installed on your PC. You can have DX11 installed on your PC, even if you don't have a DX11 videocard.

Like someone above said, only the following cards currently support DX11, only the top card support it well:

Radeon HD 5xxx series.

GTX/GTS 4xx Series.

If you have anything else, you don't have a DX11 certified card.
5 years ago#10
Well that would explain it..thanks for the info. Like I said, Dx9 looks great and I think the only difference is you can turn on anti-aliasing in Dx11.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived