Ancient Ruins

#1teamfortresstwoPosted 10/3/2010 11:03:42 AM
Has anyone pushed on investigating results of exploring those?

I've been trying for a while now to reload a game to try and get a second weapon upgrade on my first basic unit but without success

Here is what I get the most:
- Free tech (only the ones requiring less research)
- Map reveal
- 1-2 barbarian encampment locations
- 55-85 gold
Here is what rarely happens:
- 20-30 culture
Here is what doesn't seem to happen anymore (note I got those once already prior to this 3rd ruin):
- Free citizen
- Unit upgrade

*Playing on King difficulty so "Settlers" & "Workers" AFAIK don't spam in this difficulty (although I don't even know if you can get those out of ruins in easier difficulties)

Also I know I once before obtained twice a unit upgrade on the same guy making this happen:
Warrior(6) -> Pikeman(7) -> Spearman(10)
But I'm not sure if the game allowed this because my Pikeman leveled in between or because of any other factor was taken in consideration to allow this subsequent "Advance Weaponry" finding.

If anyone has more info please post.
#2teamfortresstwo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2010 11:06:40 AM
Also I want to add that after reloading the quick save game about 5-12 times, the game crashes. Has anyone else had crash for reloading too much?
#3RasBrigginsPosted 10/3/2010 11:08:34 AM
I've gotten a free unit of worker twice. I used the great general to discover those. Wanted to see what would happen If I had gotten the upgrade.
#4XearisPosted 10/3/2010 11:17:03 AM
I got one of my scouts to upgrade to an archer thanks to a ruin and that archer kept the scout ability to ignore move costs.
---
Just because something isn't fixed, doesn't mean it isn't broken
#5teamfortresstwo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2010 11:20:24 AM
Wow nice one Xearis. Thought using a scout to discover ruins would remove the "upgrade" result in the possible outcomes. Did you have the archer tech by then or did the ruin bypass that?
#6etnyPosted 10/3/2010 11:31:24 AM
You don't need tech for the upgrades from ruins, I had scout get 2 upgrades in a row and had crossbowmen around 3700BC...
#7SirAwesomeXXVIPosted 10/3/2010 11:39:00 AM
I always get either maps or those crappy barbarian alert ones. What a waste.

Meanwhile, the AI is running around two tech ahead of me, with Pikemen...
#8Acidfreeze30Posted 10/3/2010 6:27:19 PM
Wow nice one Xearis. Thought using a scout to discover ruins would remove the "upgrade" result in the possible outcomes. Did you have the archer tech by then or did the ruin bypass that?

The ruins can bypass it, just like Germans can get units from Barbarian encampments that they can't train yet if you're behind technologically.
---
Sup.
#9warfreakPosted 10/3/2010 6:48:29 PM
After having a quick look into the XML files, this is all that is possible:

Extra 1 population in a city
Culture points depending on difficulty
Revealing nearby barbarian camps
Revealing nearby parts of the map
Revealing the location of a few resource tiles
Random amount of gold
Free technology upgrade
Upgrade your unit, warrior -> spearman, scout -> archer
Spawn barbarians
Free scout
Free settler
Free worker
Experience for the unit who landed on it
Heal a damaged unit who landed on it.
---
Your opinion on the subject matter has been noted, and has been summarily ignored and dismissed. Have a nice day. - RaptorLC
Bad Company 2 Name - warantisniper
#10ChaunceyMoPosted 10/3/2010 6:59:10 PM
"I got one of my scouts to upgrade to an archer thanks to a ruin and that archer kept the scout ability to ignore move costs."

This is a bug that can be annoying too, though. Artillery have to set up to fire. Missile Artillery don't, but if you upgrade an Artillery to a Missile Artillery, you end up with a MA that still has to set up to fire (not sure if this is always the case or if it is just a bug that happens at random).