Best civ for science victory

#1ilive4evaPosted 10/18/2010 8:49:13 AM
Which civ is best to use for a science victory? No civ seems to have a special ability that raises science production? The closest i can find is the Chinease with the papermill but i'm sure that just adds gold to a library.

Also are there some general tips for me to be aware of? I was going to go with a strategy of expand a fast as my happiness will allow and build tech buildings/wonders as much as my gold will allow. Is that a good strategy?
Thanks
---
Can you stop calling her Momma, it's quite unnatural for a guy your age:- Tolten; Lost Odyssey.
#2Death_By_SmileyPosted 10/18/2010 9:44:59 AM
Generally, population = science, since most science buildings are based on your population for that city.

Thus, Ghandi could be useful
---
I still owe money to the money to the money I owe; I never thought about love when I thought about home.
---West Virginia University---
#3A Purple CowPosted 10/18/2010 9:48:13 AM
Greece.

They're by far the best civ in the game.
---
STAAAAAAAARCRAFT
#4TairneanachPosted 10/18/2010 9:55:37 AM
Gandhi's not that useful, as he gets a penalty to happiness for having lots of cities. I don't think few big cities is the way to go when you want to achieve a science victory.

Alexander can get lots of science done with the help of city-states.

I don't know about others, but getting some kind of happiness bonus would seem like a good idea.

Oh, and if you have to Nebuchadnezzar... Don't hear about him a lot, but it seems he has easy access to Great Scientists.
#5TairneanachPosted 10/18/2010 12:05:18 PM
Ok, so after someone else explained the math to me, it seems that Gandhi's ability is very good for lots of cities too, as long as their population is over 4. Sounds like the way to go, then.
#6A Purple CowPosted 10/18/2010 12:20:43 PM
Ok, so after someone else explained the math to me, it seems that Gandhi's ability is very good for lots of cities too, as long as their population is over 4. Sounds like the way to go, then.

Yea, it is. Still, I'd rather take Greece. Their ability is prolly better, and their unique units are better too.
---
STAAAAAAAARCRAFT
#7crackpiePosted 10/18/2010 2:15:45 PM
You would think Babylon should be a good choice since he gets free Great Scientist when he gets writing and they also come in faster him, but I had a hard time using them to great effects.

If Iroquois and maybe Aztec gets jungle tile bias, they might be decent choices.

Also Indian UA only kicks in for happiness, if you don't have happiness problem it doesn't really do much for science.
#8Death_By_SmileyPosted 10/18/2010 2:26:41 PM
Yes, but India let's you have bigger cities, since unhappiness hurts growth and makes you spend time building coliseums and whatnot. With unhappiness out of the picture, you can spend more time building more valuable buildings. Plus, as said before, population = science.
---
I haven't played chess in over 3 years.
---West Virginia University---
#9MattheauPosted 10/19/2010 4:01:31 AM
France is actually a rather good choice. That +2 culture per-city before steam power means you can get social policies (including Rationalism) easily, even with the large empire needed for a science victory.
#10BlackDragonPosted 10/19/2010 4:15:45 AM
I found that the Egypteans worked well for me - they're great at hogging Wonders, and lots of those are beneficial to your scientific development - in one way or another. Otherwise, there's the Aztec for the jungle-bias (though it'll hurt you near the beginning), and the Floating Gardens that are MUCH better at growing your population than the Water Wheel it replaces. (+15% Food instead of +2, and extra food from Lake squares.) Stick to the rivers, and he can grow big cities faster than anyone else.

Most of it is general strategy, though. Finding a good order to the research-projects to ensure early access to research-boosting buildings and growth-enhancing technologies (like Civil Service and Fertilizer) without sacrificing too much of your other developments... and, of course, not neglecting happiness. Growing some Great Scientists would help too, but I suggest using them to create Academies instead of insta-inventing tech, unless you're in a specific situation (such as having access to a very expensive tech that would allow the construction of important buildings or wonders, or being near the end anyway.)
---
"...abstain! Ignore! Deny! And never forget who is the boss of you! I am the boss of you!"
-Grand Inquisitor of Zork, Mir Yannick