Standard Resources Just Not Enough?

#1Gzuss09Posted 10/20/2010 7:49:37 PM
So I've been playing my games with standard resources, but it seems like things like iron, oil, all the NEEDED resources are too low for standard. Is this normal? What affects the amount of valued resources (other than tech)?
#2wireman32Posted 10/20/2010 8:13:45 PM

in advanced options you can set the resources to "abundant" there is also strategic balance but i never even bothered trying that option.

Having 2 aluminum and 20 cities in modern era you would think there would be more somewhere out there. Sure you could trade it with other civs, but uh, they haven't researched aluminum yet you're screwed.

#3HoshunMk112Posted 10/20/2010 9:51:38 PM
Make friends with city-states. They will often have strategic resources.
---
XBL Gamertag: Drewbahr
There's nothing left in my right brain, and there's nothing right in my left brain
#4nurnbergPosted 10/21/2010 7:50:45 AM
Im playing a game with abundant ressources right now. It's really fun. There are ressources everywhere, altough they seem to be in clusters (in one spot you can have like 7 wheat tiles).
---
Just registered to Steam for the first time
#5LokarinPosted 10/21/2010 7:54:23 AM
I keep my settings on random. I'm out to conquer the world itself, not its puny nations.

---
"Salt cures Everything!" - Indy Board Petition
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/54886241
#6crackpiePosted 10/21/2010 6:54:23 PM
Does Legendary start gives you even more resources or not?
I have been using legendary start, it is good sometimes...but some other times I am still dry on aluminum and uranium :/
#7jayhawk88Posted 10/22/2010 4:06:57 AM
Does Legendary start gives you even more resources or not?
I have been using legendary start, it is good sometimes...but some other times I am still dry on aluminum and uranium :/

Wondering this myself. I've been using Legendary, the starting position is awesome, and generally you can find at least 2 or 3 other really good city locations, but by the time you get to coal or aluminum they always seem to be very rare. Is Abundant better in the long run?
---
Didn't you know? Marvel's Hell is really DC Comics. - Entertainer13
#8raizengaPosted 10/22/2010 6:20:57 AM
I'm about to win a domination victory on a map that had no, I mean absolutely zero, coal. The lack of coal was actually of benefit. Factories couldn't be built, which was a good for two reasons (1) if I had built them I would have been broke and (2) I am playing on king and I bet the a.i. gets a much bigger bonus from factories at reduced maintenance I also learned that, unlike previous civs, railroads don't require coal.
#9CorruptedMarioPosted 10/22/2010 9:52:52 AM
Im not positive, but Legendary Start seems to imply that when you start the game there will be a plethora of resources. As it progresses it would make sense to not have such legendary quantities of resources, because you are already playing the game, hence the setting would need to be Legendary GAME.
#10jayhawk88Posted 10/31/2010 6:25:14 AM
Just to follow up on this, I played a Standard/Continents/Abundant game last night, where my home continent didn't have aluminum or uranium, and only two coal I believe. I ended up tech racing to a space win so it didn't matter, but still, kind of annoying.
---
Didn't you know? Marvel's Hell is really DC Comics. - Entertainer13