Should Civilizations 5 have some sort of airport system?

#1XuneloxPosted 5/4/2012 9:40:53 PM
It's irritating how I have to move most of my army to various parts of the map and it takes a lot of turns to do so.
---
Were it so easy
#2red255Posted 5/4/2012 11:13:04 PM
See, I didn't bother doing that, you only need so many units. when I needed to garrison a city I just moved a unit from a nearby city into it, and so on down the line, so it only took one turn to fill a city, though it did use up all the moves of my garrison units to do so.

instead of an airport system if you need units you can just buy them for cash at point of location if you desire.

airports were post game end in Civ 4 anyways. I mean if you hadn't got the game wrapped up before flight..... I guess it helps with transcontinental movement of units but except for current production units it made more sense just to ship them in transports.

TRANSPORTS, those I miss, this embarkation thing is horrible.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#3taketheshoeoffPosted 5/6/2012 3:15:16 AM
oh god i would never like to see transports return. such a redundant unit. such a PITA to bring over a transport so my unit can cross water especially when it was a single unit like a scout, spy or merchant etc.

it would be like having to build a train that i must load units into so they get the movement bonus from railroads.
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a schizoid or closet case]
#4darkman95Posted 5/6/2012 8:37:29 AM
I can see why transports would be a pain, but they are much better than embarking. Especially when you are launching a D day scale invasion into another continent, it sucks having 20 or 30 vulnerable units massing over one area in the ocean.

At the same time, transport in civ 4 was ridiculous because it felt like you needed a ship to cross a puddle. I remember one game where Hannibal had his entire army and his capital on a continent or island (it was small, but large enough to hold like 3 or 4 cities) that was literally 2 tiles away from my continent, unfortunately they were water tiles so I needed to secure a route for transport ships against Hannibals almighty navy just to cross troops across 2 tiles.

I think they should bring back transports, but allow units to embark in shallow water and upgrade the amphibious promotion to allow units to embark in ocean tiles so we can have the best of both worlds and it makes more sense.
---
"The only people who should shoot, are those who are prepared to be shot at."- The Great Emperor Lelouch Vi Britannia
#5Savra104Posted 5/7/2012 8:34:46 AM
I think the Carrier in this game is a good basis for transports. Simply load a few units onboard then ship them over to the next land. Give it a defensive bonus or something.

Then again, they're changing the way sea combat works in G&K, aren't they? Embarked units can defend themselves now or something..
#6red255Posted 5/7/2012 4:32:18 PM
Savra104 posted...

Then again, they're changing the way sea combat works in G&K, aren't they? Embarked units can defend themselves now or something..

Songhai had that ability. But yeah as mentioned, crossing small tiles, especially if you Control those tiles with a unit makes sense to embark. But the AI couldn't handle it if they were sieging a coastal city, they just would embark lose their turn and get killed by a caravel despite being modern armor or something in the water. But for those 2 hexes in civ 4 all you needed was a galley, and it was kinda cool because it gave you alot more safety and protection from the AI to have those squares of safety.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.