What the huh? (Celts)

#1SushiSquidPosted 6/18/2012 10:12:06 PM
Their unique ability gets them lots of extra faith. Their unique unit is available super early and earns them lots of faith, plus fights better when outside friendly lands. Their unique building gives an extra 3 freaking happiness.

Did Firaxis just have a boner for Boudicca or something? Why the hell were the Celts made so overpowered?
#2SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 10:32:39 PM
Also, looking at the Netherlands' full bonuses (if you can call them that) now, I was right: they have supplanted America as the worst civilization in the game, and it's by a huge margin. Their unique ability is completely worthless and their unit gains only free experience over its normal variant. Their Polder improvement is good, but doesn't come until Medieval era.
#3GorenksPosted 6/18/2012 11:10:55 PM
Who doesn't have a boner for Boudicca? Amazing in Civ 4, amazing in Civ 5 <3
---
XBL/BF3PC: Boogiepop101
Steam ID: Mangopup
#4bd43Posted 6/18/2012 11:27:17 PM
The only complaint I have to their unique unit and ability is how Faith is produced otherwise, in that it isn't. It should be linked to population, like science. Also maybe -2 Happiness to the building, but to be fair, Opera House is quite a bit later.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#5RabillionPosted 6/18/2012 11:32:31 PM
Besides the beautiful theme for the Netherlands I find them to be entirely underwhelming as well. I so wish they had the rumored tulip as a unique luxury resource when building polders. All they get is like +3 food iirc.

The Celts, on the other hand, seem to be the best of the new civs. Awesome UU? Check. Useful UB? Check.
#6bd43Posted 6/18/2012 11:48:44 PM(edited)
Rabillion posted...
Besides the beautiful theme for the Netherlands I find them to be entirely underwhelming as well. I so wish they had the rumored tulip as a unique luxury resource when building polders. All they get is like +3 food iirc.

The Celts, on the other hand, seem to be the best of the new civs. Awesome UU? Check. Useful UB? Check.

A good deal of the new civs are bottom 10, maybe bottom 5 material without proper set up or consideration.

To flesh that out, a bit, the Celts and maybe Ethiopia are the only ones that have real staying power. Austria, The Mayans, The Huns, Byzantium, and Carthage are okay, but are semi-flawed and often not the best at what they do.
---
#7SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 12:14:53 AM(edited)
Oh yes, I like Ethiopia too. Their incredibly good building is available immediately and their unit and ability both work amazingly well for a small, defensive empire. They're very good.
#8bd43Posted 6/19/2012 12:17:02 AM
SushiSquid posted...
Oh yes, I like Ethiopia too. Their incredibly good building is available immediately and their unit and ability both work amazingly well for a small, defensive empire. They're very good.

I just wish their unit was either a little earlier or a little later.
---
#9Savra104Posted 6/19/2012 1:35:57 AM
I played around with the Celts and ended up having absolutely nothing to do for a while with Faith on 8 cities. Then I saw "You can use Faith to pay for Great ___" on policies. I thought they said religion and beliefs fizzle out? Because goddamn did I abuse Great Scientists... Maybe it's the way I played? This Civ feels crazy with Faith abuse.

Will try out the others tomorrow.

Games definitely seem a lot longer now than in vanilla. Battles especially take longer and it seems like Cities are better defensively now with the combat change. Haven't actually gotten around to naval battles...
#10bd43Posted 6/19/2012 1:56:07 AM
Savra104 posted...
I played around with the Celts and ended up having absolutely nothing to do for a while with Faith on 8 cities. Then I saw "You can use Faith to pay for Great ___" on policies. I thought they said religion and beliefs fizzle out? Because goddamn did I abuse Great Scientists... Maybe it's the way I played? This Civ feels crazy with Faith abuse.

Will try out the others tomorrow.

Games definitely seem a lot longer now than in vanilla. Battles especially take longer and it seems like Cities are better defensively now with the combat change. Haven't actually gotten around to naval battles...

You're really supposed to go out and buy out other religions. There's ultimately a limit to the amount of faith you can produce, which means that a Great Prophet will appear slower and slower and slower though, thus 'dying out'. I pretty much dusted Pascal's religion, though.
---