Venice strategy?

#1refmonPosted 7/29/2013 11:55:11 AM(edited)
I'd like to try for a diplomatic victory but I don't know what the best location would be for their one city, what trees to go into, what to build and more. It looks like its incredibly easy to fail with them
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
#2PrintScreenKeyPosted 7/29/2013 2:32:30 PM
refmon posted...
I'd like to try for a diplomatic victory but I don't know what the best location would be for their one city, what trees to go into, what to build and more. It looks like its incredibly easy to fail with them

It's simple really.
Settle in the spot you start with.
Research everything equally.
Skip the military techs

Do city-state quests and pick up caravans then cargo ships.
Keep expanding your trade routes and teching up.
Get patronage and tradition social policies.
Then get a bit of commerce, exploration, and rationalism or the culture one.
Then go order or freedom.

Then vote yourself for world leader once it's available. You want to be allied with every city state.
#3MetleonPosted 7/29/2013 3:02:31 PM
Get into Optics fairly early for your free merchant and use it to take a nearby city state.
Spam trade routes and use the gold to buy up buildings in your puppets.
For techs, be sure to go up the middle for markets and banks for your puppets. Take the science building techs early as well.
If someone tries to attack you, buy a ton of units and push them back.

For diplo, I think every 2 city states you puppet decreases the number of delegates you need by 1. Commerce is very effective for spamming great merchants to conduct trade missions and freedom lets you use your trade routes to gain influence over city states. Patronage is also useful for allying city states before getting deep into an ideology and Rationalism is good for rushing toward globalization.
---
Generation 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your own signature (on any forum) and add one to the generation number. Social experiment.
#4cynicalsaintPosted 7/29/2013 3:18:52 PM
I would only buy-out a couple CS, as they tend to be more valuable as Allies than Puppets in the long run. 3-4 cities should be plenty, sending the MoVs on regular trade missions gets you stupid amounts of cash. But generally focus on making tons and tons of money - as you'll basically be buying your armies.

My Venice game was one of my easiest - by the time the World Leader vote came around I had 45 delegates when I only needed 31 to win. The entire rest of the world only had 30 delegates.
---
If all else fails, use fire.
PSN/Steam - cynicalsaint ~:::~ XBL - cynicalsaint0 ~:::~ battle.net - cynicalsaint#1360
#5refmon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2013 3:21:01 PM
Alright sounds good, thanks guys. Last question before I start: im using the speedy settler mod so should I make my city a coastal one or not?
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
#6PrintScreenKeyPosted 7/29/2013 3:28:20 PM
refmon posted...
Alright sounds good, thanks guys. Last question before I start: im using the speedy settler mod so should I make my city a coastal one or not?

You have to settle on a coast. Cargo ships give more than caravans
#7refmon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2013 3:29:53 PM
PrintScreenKey posted...
refmon posted...

You have to settle on a coast. Cargo ships give more than caravans

Oh wow thanks, I didn't know that. I guess I will go on the Pangaea map
---