Sacred 2 Build FAQ

#1darkfire9430Posted 2/8/2010 1:42:44 PM
The purpose of this guide is to help new players in selecting their initial builds.

What character should I pick?
Shadow Warriors and Seraphim are both considered newb-friendly characters, and both are good at melee combat. If you like ranged combat, a Dryad is a good pick; if you're more of a caster, then give a High Elf a try. Inquisitors and Temple Guardians are a little more difficult to play (they're both essentially melee/caster hybrids), and I wouldn't recommend either to a new player.

I picked my character. Now what?
Now you pick your Combat Arts. Each character has three "trees" of five CAs each, with CAs being the "spells" or "special attacks" of that character. I recommend focusing on one CA tree, with an optional second tree depending on the character. Everything revolves around CAs, which directly determine how you will play your character. Additional information on all the CAs can be found here:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Combat_Arts

Here is a rough description of the trees:

Shadow Warrior
Death Warrior: The "tank" tree; contains skills for doing a lot of damage and absorbing a lot of damage. Good for beginners.
Malevolent Champion: Another melee tree, though slightly more strategic than Death Warrior. Also good for beginners.
Astral Lord: The summoner tree. A good secondary CA tree as well. I do not recommend that a new player make this his primary tree.
Note that SWs can easily use all three trees. See below.

Seraphim
Exalted Warrior: Weapon based attacks. Used by both melee and ranged seraphims. A good pick for a beginner.
Celestial Magic: Spell attacks, used by caster seraphim. Not recommended for a beginner.
Revered Technology: An assortment of buffs and debuffing CAs. A good secondary CA tree, especially for ranged seraphim.

Dryad
Capricious Hunter: Mainly focused on missile attacks. Good for beginners.
Cabalistic Voodoo: Mostly debuff CAs. A decent secondary tree.
Nature Weaver: Mostly buff CA. The primary tree for caster Dryads, and a good secondary tree for anyone else.

High Elf
Arrant Pyromancer: The main tree for a fire (caster) elf.
Mystic Stormite: the main tree for an ice (caster) elf. Broadly speaking, ice elves have better defense at the expense of less offense.
Delphic Arcania: Mostly utility CAs. A recommended secondary tree. This is also the main tree for a melee elf, but I do not recommend that playstyle to a beginnger.

Inquisitor
Gruesome Inquisition: Weapon-based damage. Focuses on offense at the expense of defense.
Astute Supremacy: The caster tree.
Nefarious Netherworld: Mostly debuffs. A good secondary tree for any Inquisitor.

Temple Guardian
Devout Guardian: Weapon-based damage. A good mix of offense and defense.
Lost Fusion: Mostly ranged elemental attacks. Not recommended for a new player.
Source Warden: AoE elemental attacks/debuffs.
#2darkfire9430(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2010 1:44:00 PM
OK, I guess I know which CA tree(s) I want to use. Where should I put my attribute points?
In general, you should put all of your attribute points into your damage-affecting attribute. That means Strength for melee characters, Dexterity for ranged characters, and Intelligence for casters. Some players stick their first 50 points into Stamina to help with their CA timers.

CA timers?
There is no "mana" in this game. Instead, each Combat Art has an associated "timer" that goes off whenever you use the CA. Until the timer regenerates, you cannot use that CA again. Also, you cannot use any of the CAs in the same "tree" either. While you might think you would want to diversify your CA trees as a result, in practice that's not a very good idea. See the discussion below on "mod points."

Anyway, most of the balancing in this game focuses on managing your CA timers. At low levels, you won't be able to "cast" very often, but a well-build high-level character will regenerate the timer before the CA animation finishes. So you'll eventually be able to spam your CAs, meaning that there's no need to diversify CA trees on timer grounds.

I guess we'll get back to that later. Now what skills do I pick?
You get new skills at levels 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 18, 25, 35, 50 and 65.

There are four pages of skills. Don't pick exclusively from the first page!

You should pick "Aspect" Focus and "Aspect" Lore for whichever CA tree you're focusing on (e.g., an elf focusing on Arrant Pyromancer CAs would take AP Focus and AP Lore). For Death Warrior, Malevolent Champion, Exalted Warrior, Capricious Hunter, Gruesome Inquisition, and Devout Guardian, the corresponding "Aspect Lore" skill is Tactics Lore. Note that Tactics Lore thus affects two Shadow Warrior CA trees and zero High Elf CA trees.

In addition to generally improving your CAs, Aspect Lore/Focus also give modification points which you can use to improve the CAs. Mod points are a really big deal: try to gather them for your chosen CA tree as soon as you can. Additional information here: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Combat_Art_Modifications. Tactics Lore give mod points for both Death Warrior and Malevolent Champion.

If you're using a weapon, you should pick the corresponding weapon skill, e.g. "Ranged Weapons" for ranged characters, "Sword Weapons" if you like swords, etc. Note that "Dual Wield" does not stack with a weapons skill-- if you are dual wielding swords (for instance), you Sword Weapons skill will not have any direct effect.

If you're a caster, you should take Ancient Magic (if it's available) and Combat Discipline.

You should take Armor Lore and Constitution, which are the "gold star" defensive skills.

If you picked a secondary CA tree, you should take the corresponding Aspect Focus skill for that as well.

If you plan on using two CA buffs, you should take Concentration. There is no other way to have (say) Grim Resilience and Reflective Emanation up at the same time.

After that, you have some flexibility. Toughness and Combat Reflexes are good picks for melee characters, Shield Lore is decent if you're a sword-and-boarder (or a caster elf), and Combat Discipline is good even for non-casters.

You may also want to take some Utility skills: they will not directly increase your damage output, but can be very useful for looting purposes. Especially since you can share equipment among all your characters through your Hero Chest. Specifically consider taking Bargaining (better shops) and/or Enhanced Perception (better drops).
#3darkfire9430(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2010 1:44:54 PM
Uhhh... this is a little overwhelming. Can you suggest some builds?
Sure. Here are some newb-friendly builds:

Shadow Warrior
2: Tactics Lore
3: Concentration
5: Weapon Skill (e.g., Sword Weapons or Dual Wield)
8: Armor Lore
12: Death Warrior Focus
18: Malevolent Champion Focus
25: Constitution
35: Combat Reflexes
50: Optional
65: Optional

Seraphim
3: Exalted Warrior Focus
5: Dual Wield
12: Constitution
18: Combat Reflexes
25: Revered Technology Focus
35: Toughness

Dryad
3: Ranged Weapons
5: Capricious Hunter Focus
8: Combat Reflexes
12: Armor Lore
18: Concentration
25: Nature Weaver Focus
35: Constitution

High Elf
2: Arrant Pyromancer Lore
3: Concentration
5: Arrant Pyromancer Focus
8: Delphic Arcania Focus
12: Armor Lore
18: Constitution
25: Ancient Magic
35: Combat Discipline
(To make an ice elf, just use Mystic Stormite Lore/Focus instead of Arrant Pyromancer Lore/Focus)

Inquisitor
3: Dual Wield
5: Gruesome Inquisition Focus
18: Nefarious Netherworld Focus
25: Combat Reflexes
35: Concentration

Temple Guardian
3: Sword Weapons (or Hafted Weapons)
5: Devout Guardian Focus
18: Warding Energy Lore
25: Combat Reflexes
35: Concentration

Thanks, that's easier to follow. What should I pick for my optional skills?
Whatever you want. If you want to use another CA tree, you can take the corresponding Focus and/or Lore skills. Toughness is good for defense; Combat Discipline is good for offense. Bargaining and Enhanced Perception are also nice choices.

Why Bargaining?
Unlike most other games, your Bargaining skill will affect the quality of the items a merchant makes available to you. In particular, Bargaining is the only way to get merchants to sell +all skills and +all CA jewelry, which are very, very useful for socketing your gear. In fact, almost all experienced players have one (generally only one) character with Bargaining in their stable. This character is colloqually referred to as "the Shopper."

What about Enhanced Perception?
This serves two purposes. First, it significantly improves your chances of finding good drops, even without the Mastery Bonus. Second, it allows you to use better +experience gear. Getting to level 200 takes a long time in this game, and XP gear helps.

Blacksmith also looks good.
Sadly, it only looks good. Blacksmith is bugged on the console version: it doesn't do anything.
#4darkfire9430(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2010 1:45:19 PM
What did you mean by "Mastery Bonus"?
Most skills give an additional effect when you put 75 "hard" points into them (i.e., actual skill points, not "soft" skill points from gear). The additional effect ranges from trivial to game-changing. See the wiki for more information.

How should I distribute my skill points?
Two main considerations. First, put enough points into your Aspect skills to get the mod points you need. You get an additional mod point when your combined Aspect Lore and Focus skill levels are equal to 3, 5, 9, 14, 22, 31, 42, 55, 70, 87, 106, 126, 149, 173, and 199. Naturally, only "hard" skill points can yield mod points.

Second, concentrate your skill points so that you keeping two or three skill "at level," meaning that the skill level as your character level. By doing this, you can Master up to three skills when you hit level 75.

So this means you should keep one or both of your main Aspect skills at level, along with one or two other skills with good Mastery bonuses. Skills with great mastery bonuses are Constitution (in-combat regeneration), Ancient Magic (pierce elemental resistances), and most Weapon skills (chance of double-hit).

How should I distribute my mod points?
I generally prioritize the buff, then my main damage CA.

Which mods should I take?
Err... that's more detail than I want to get into here. Read the more detailed build FAQs on this site, or post your question to the board.

How many runes should I eat?
Also a complicated question. You should always eat one rune for each CA in any of your trees, just to activate it. After that, it's more of a judgment call based on how often you use the CA, how you use it, what other CAs you use, etc. I generally rely on socketed runes, +Aspect, and +CA gear to keep my timers low.
#5darkfire9430(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2010 1:49:30 PM
Whew... done! That was longer than I expected. :)

Any board regulars want to add to this? I'm sure I missed something.
#6CAiNiACprimePosted 2/8/2010 3:20:26 PM
Very well done, kudos Dark.

---
My children have no dreams - - - - - - -
They live a Maybe Life - - - - - - - - - - - - GT = CAiNiACprime
#7OgesMCPosted 2/8/2010 10:37:18 PM
Yeah, Dryads do not need constitution; NW Lore serves better for defense, AB healing, and damage.

=)

---
35 Lightnin'
#8ghosta2Posted 2/9/2010 7:27:07 PM
Shadow warriors should be taking hafted weapons as they have many good 2 handed axes and mauls exclusive to them. There class quest reward is a two handed ax.
---
Courage is not the absence of fear but the strength to overcome it.
Gt: Ghosta2
#9AccountNamePosted 2/15/2010 11:00:12 PM
Awesome stuff here. Sticky requested.
---
"In case of accidental ingestion, contact a mortician"
PSN: UnspecifiedName
#10darkfire9430(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2010 12:52:45 AM
Bumpage.