Thinking about getting this - a couple of questions.

#1MorguesonPosted 1/31/2012 4:39:31 PM
1) Does it still have an active community? I know this is a 3 year old game but I imagine that if diablo 2 still has a decent amount of people playing after 12 years then this game should be potable.

2) Any pvp? Like, can you join people game and ask them for a duel?

3) About the loot system: I figure it is all random but is there loot that is unique to the hardest difficulty or you can grab everything in your first playthrough and it stack with your levels or something? You have to beat the end boss at the hardest difficulty to get the best loot is it like - this boss as more chance to drop this and this one as more chance to drop that?
---
GT: Kicker jack19
North America: Where hard in games is considered a bug.
#2darkfire9430Posted 1/31/2012 5:07:37 PM
Morgueson posted...
1) Does it still have an active community? I know this is a 3 year old game but I imagine that if diablo 2 still has a decent amount of people playing after 12 years then this game should be potable.

There are a few games available at low levels, but at high levels you're usually either on your own or playing with cheaters. You'll have better luck putting together your own groups (via Friends list or this board) than playing with randoms.

2) Any pvp? Like, can you join people game and ask them for a duel?

Games can be set to allow PvP, but you cannot join a "Campaign" or "Open" game and start PvPing. As a practical matter, PvP is dead on this title due to the wide-spread availability of hacked items.

3) About the loot system: I figure it is all random but is there loot that is unique to the hardest difficulty or you can grab everything in your first playthrough and it stack with your levels or something? You have to beat the end boss at the hardest difficulty to get the best loot is it like - this boss as more chance to drop this and this one as more chance to drop that?

All gear can be found on all levels, and I don't think the loot tables vary based on the enemy. However, unique gear is "tiered"-- there's typically a level 15 version, a level 30 version, a level 45 version, etc. Furthermore, the strength of the gear varies with the difficulty level it is found on. A level 90 Officer's Saber located on Niob will be stronger than a level 90 Officer's Saber located on Platinum.

Gear does not change with your character level. If you have a level 20 Stalworth Safeguard and want the level 35 version, you need to find a new Stalworth Safeguard. On the flip side, you can easily transfer gear to other characters via the Hero Chest, so after you outgrow your level 20 Stalworth Safeguard, you may want to store it for your next character.
#3Morgueson(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2012 5:21:50 PM
I see... so you apparently can transfer items between characters? That's great.

Sad to hear about the hacked items/level/etc though, seems like most online game are affected by those players these days.

Will probably pick it up, I know of a couple of people in my friend list that has this game and would like to play it fair and square. I'll have to hurry though before Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning drops XD But that game is single player only so it will likely have a very limited replay value anyway... =(

Thanks for the answers =)
---
GT: Kicker jack19
North America: Where hard in games is considered a bug.
#4darkfire9430Posted 1/31/2012 5:53:02 PM
Morgueson posted...
I see... so you apparently can transfer items between characters? That's great.

Yup. In addition to their inventory, each character has a "Hero Chest" that can be accessed at most towns (or anywhere if you have the "Carrier Imp" DLC). The Hero Chest stores roughly seven times the amount of gear you can store in your inventory, so players can free up slots for more looting by dumping items into the Chest.

Furthermore, all characters on an Xbox profile share the same Hero Chest. So if you want to transfer items, you just have the first character store it in the Hero Chest, then switch to your second character and retrieve it. No need to set up "trade" intermediate accounts or anything. It's quite convenient.