Where do you hunt for set armor?

#1CatfishWigginsPosted 2/10/2012 5:10:09 PM
(Topic) Where do you guys hunt for set armor? Or, what would you do if you were specifically hunting for set armor rather than the normal grind for experience?

(Clarification) There's two types of sets. There's the normal sets, which have a piece for every slot and start dropping at level 15. Normal sets' item level increments by 15, so you can find them at item level 30 or 45 and so on. There's also the "other" sets, which only have three or four pieces and start dropping at level 20. I've only ever found them at 20 and at 50, so it makes me think that their item level increments by 30, but if you guys have found any item level 35 ones please let me know.

(My Sample Data) So far, I've found most of my normal set items from champion monsters, and the other set items seem very rare, except from the Wild Boar. I tested the Boar because I heard he drops the other set items more often, and the first time he dropped one. So starting at level 22 I killed him over and over and he dropped one about half of the time until I got to level 26 and then he quit dropping them. I went back and killed him some more around level 30 and he didn't drop any normal set items either.The champion humans that hang out near him did occasionally drop a normal set item though. I took off my +xp gear and ran him from 22 to 27 so I have a rather large data pool, I'm not just determining a pattern from a couple runs.

(Prompts)
Do you guys know if the other set items drop every 15 or every 30 levels?

Do all of the mini bosses drop other set items frequently like the boar? I tried the Griffon a couple time but he didn't drop any set items and he takes my BFG Sera forever to kill. I haven't tested the Dragons.

Where do you guys find the most normal set items?
---
How do I feel? What do I say?
In the end it all goes away.
#2RudigerPosted 2/10/2012 8:46:55 PM
I haven't spent much time grinding gear and when I have it hasn't been very fruitful. But I have had several dryads and accumulated several set pieces. For normal set pieces (I checked 34 pieces), they consistent fall on multiples of 15. They may start jumping by 30's after 90 because I have no level 105's. However, I only have one dryad high enough level to pick them up, and she may have skipped them when transitioning from plat to niob.

For "special" sets, I think they can fall on multiples of 15, plus five. Specials have been much less common. I only have 13 pieces. I have more call of the forest than any other special, and the levels are 20, 35, 65, 65, 80, and 95. I also have a level 110 from tendils and a level 125 from meho, among others.
---
#3DordledumPosted 2/11/2012 4:54:02 AM

hehe, still haven't got the "full set" achievement, definitely interested in what this thread turns up.

#4BonedracomagusPosted 2/11/2012 9:53:42 PM(edited)
I got most of mine killing spiders and werewolves in the SE corner of the swamps. The elite bloodclaws have a tendency to drop good items. I found a few 4 star items in there also.

Armor sets drop in increments of 15. They start at 10, 15, or 20 and go up from there. Example: you find Endijians wings level 15. The next upgrade(30) that will start dropping is when your armor lore says you can WEAR level 30. You don't have to be that level.

Also, the red dragon seemed to be the best bang for the buck when farming bosses, except for the final boss of course. It drops good items and has two treasure chests which drop a decent amount of loot when opened.
---
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#5RudigerPosted 2/12/2012 8:05:37 AM
All set piece drops are not immediately usable. It appears the item level is tied to mob level rather than character level. In plat and niob, you will normally fight mobs that are above your max armor level, and accordingly, you will get regular and set pieces that are orange.

I haven't paid close attention, but i think regular loot is always very close to mob level, e.g., a level 74 mob might drop regular loot in the L74-L76 range.

All the set pieces I have seen have been an increment of 15, or in the case of the "special" sets, an increment of 15, plus 5. I don't know the rule for set piece drop levels. It is likely that it rounds properly or rounds up. So a L74 mob would drop L75 because it 's closest or due to rounding up but would not drop L60 (rounding down).
---
#6CatfishWiggins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2012 2:17:40 PM
I sat through some Griffon fights and his drop chances are similar to the Boar's, mostly special sets. I did get a normal set piece from the Boar, so he can drop them, but it seems that he has the same chance to drop one that the normal champion monsters do. After running the Boar some more I went and played through the story from Orcish Byway to Gold difficulty and only found 3 more set pieces. It's definitely more time efficient to just farm the Boar, as long as you're only worried about set pieces per time.

It also seems that the enemies have windows where they can't drop the special set pieces, because the Boar wouldn't drop one for me after several runs at 28, or I might have just been unlucky.

I'll have to try the SE Swamp sometime, though I normally just rush through the swamp because I don't like having to wait for undead to get back up.
---
How do I feel? What do I say?
In the end it all goes away.
#7BonedracomagusPosted 2/12/2012 4:21:55 PM
The undead stick to the upper half of the swamps. The lower half has werewolves, spiders, I think the turtles that shoot lightning, and the amphibian looking enemies. If you start seeing undead, you went too far north.
---
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#8OgesMCPosted 2/15/2012 7:50:40 PM
Kill them all.
---
35 Lightnin'
Check out Realms of Ancient War (R.A.W.) for Diablo fans!
#9BonedracomagusPosted 2/16/2012 3:58:11 AM
OgesMC posted...
Kill them all.

That works too I guess lol
---
#10TheEmpty1Posted 2/29/2012 3:33:07 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]