The boss fights in Gears of War or Gears of War 2? (SPOILERS!!!)

#1arc125Posted 11/11/2008 11:05:16 AM
I thought the boss fights in Gears of WarŪ were more challenging than in this game. The Corpser fight was epic and memorable. The mini boss fights with the Berserkers were intense since the only way to defeat them was to get them outside and use the Hammer of Dawn. Last but not least, General Raam. Fighting him was awesome. He's surrounded by Kryll and walking toward's you ever so slowly which makes you panic. Beating him on insane is like climbing five mountains.

The boss fights in Gears of WarŪ2 were also intense but were pretty easy. The fish monster battle was cool that you had to get inside the mouth and throw grenades. The Skorge fight was kind of lame since all it was was a button mashing contest. The reaver fight with Skorge was my favorite because it was so cinematic.

So what boss battles do you guys favor between the two?

Also, did Skorge die or did he just fell off the Hydra?

---
"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo
"Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi - Wan Kenobi
#2ozranPosted 11/11/2008 11:08:02 AM
he just fell off the hydra......it never showed him dying and when he hit the ground he never closed his eyes to signify his death(his body didnt even go limp)
#3arc125(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2008 11:12:40 AM
Cool, just wanted to make sure.

Hello people! Please post! Don't be shy! I like opinions!
---
"Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi - Wan Kenobi
#4MadellePosted 11/11/2008 11:32:47 AM
The Corpser fight was epic? It was over in like... 12 seconds... Even on Insane. It was pretty anti-climactic, as the damned thing had been stalking you throughout the game at that point. I will concede that the boss-fights--the Brumak in the PC version and General RAAM--were a lot more challenging than the boss fights in the sequel though. I still consider RAAM on Insane to be one of the greatest boss-fights I've encountered.

As for Skorge, if you look carefully, you'll see blood on the rock he lands on, indicating that he may very well be dead. It would not surprise me, if he popped up for another appearance in a sequel, however.
#5ShinjaNinjaPosted 11/11/2008 11:38:09 AM
Skorge is dead, you could hear the distinct sound of his back cracking in half, most people die with their eyes open anyways.

---
http://i31.tinypic.com/fualqe.jpg
He Watches You. He Knows.
#6DanulusPosted 11/11/2008 11:39:34 AM
RAAM was badass, bring in RAAMs brother!
---
"Its not what you know, its what you can prove" - Training Day
"War is the consumption of life." - Old Snake
#7arc125(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2008 11:39:41 AM
True...true. All you had to do was shoot the Corpser in the stomach but the first time was clueless and was panicking. lol. Though the second time I faced it I beat it in one minute. Yeah, the Raam fight on insane is definitely crazy. I might have too look more closely at the Skorge cut scene.
---
#8The_Great_GabboPosted 11/11/2008 11:42:56 AM
I thought that overall Gears 2 had much better boss fights, Skorge phase 1 was a bit lame, cause the only theatening things he did was cut down pillars to crush you, but the reaver scene was so SO good. I also liked the giant fish boss. It's really cool on your first run, but afterwards, he isn't too hard.

Now, the corpser in Gears 1 was maybe the BIGGEST pushover boss I've ever played in a video game. He was supposed to be so threatening and menacing, but it was so easy. Shoot him in the stomach, then the mouth. Repeat twice, and then break two latches, and he's dead. If you stayed a decent distance from him, he can't threaten you at all. RAAM was a cool boss fight, and a very hard one too boot. I don't think I've ever beaten him by myself on insane.
#9arc125(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2008 11:44:55 AM
So we all agree on Raam being a total bad ass and the Corpser just being a big noob. What about the Berserkers?
---
#10daemonx3Posted 11/11/2008 11:51:11 AM
No way man, GoW2's boss fights were so much better.

I also hafta ridicule your choice in saying that the corpser fight was epic. Halfway through it the first time I was like 'What? Is this all this fight is?'. I couldnt' fathom why they were so bloody weak. And each time I revisited this fight with my bud it seemed like more of a joke or chore than an actual fight. Even wretches put up more of a fight than the corpser.

I wasn't a big fan of the Raam fight because there's little indication of progression and it just seems like an ammo dump. Drop shield, shoot, reload... on occasion run to the other site. In all the fights in Gow2 there's some sense of a 'health meter', and thus, progression. The 1st skorge fight is based on his weapon; in the 2nd the 'reaver' he's flying takes visible damage. I don't remember if the giant fish boss has visible damage, but in that fight you _know_ that the only damage being registered is the grenade. The last 'boss fight' is more of an event, the flight path that the chopper takes is interesting but i dont' think you can actually lose that one unless you stop aiming the Hammer of Dawn at the brumak.

I won't comment on the brumak fight in GoW1 because I never played the PC version, but since GoW originally launched without it and many people never had a chance to experience it, I think it's up to debate whether that should count at all.