This game has the dumbest save system of all time

#21ClaptonvaughnPosted 7/27/2008 10:32:46 PM
then they could just have put a heavy penalty for saving.

This could've worked.

The ranks and bonuses are just that...bonuses. The current save system makes it a requirement to beat the level in one playthrough rather than making it a challenge that someone chooses to take on.

It's not a big deal to me anymore, since I've gotten used to the system. However if the very first DMC had provided saves within the levels and balanced it out with large penalties, would any of you here seriously gone "man I wish they didn't give me an option to save in the middle of the level at all."

Of course we can rationalize and even defend quirks of the game NOW, since we've played and enjoyed it for years. The question you have to ask yourself is would you complain if save systems had been implemented in the very beginning and kept in throughout the series (and again, assuming large penalties were put in place for using quicksaves).
#22Mkilbride2588Posted 7/28/2008 12:23:42 AM
All DMC's use this system and I've never cared since the first. You can't devote 20-30 minutes into Gameplay, don't play this game.
#23GoldninjaPosted 7/28/2008 9:47:59 AM
It's not a big deal to me anymore, since I've gotten used to the system. However if the very first DMC had provided saves within the levels and balanced it out with large penalties, would any of you here seriously gone "man I wish they didn't give me an option to save in the middle of the level at all."

Of course we can rationalize and even defend quirks of the game NOW, since we've played and enjoyed it for years. The question you have to ask yourself is would you complain if save systems had been implemented in the very beginning and kept in throughout the series (and again, assuming large penalties were put in place for using quicksaves).

Of course not. The difference is that the current save system is not a problem. It's mainly PC games weaned on the quick save/load option that have problems with it. If it were as you say, I wouldn't care.
---
MVC2 is in no way balanced, so it doesn't count, it just created some weird paradox where it's so unbalanced it rolls back to being balanced. - lol_what
#24necbonePosted 7/28/2008 12:36:51 PM

i dont care about points, rankings, or anyother online etc thing.... i just want to play the game and save and load from the place where i saved....

Welcome to 2008.

#25PattHpapongPosted 7/28/2008 1:08:49 PM
i dont care about points, rankings, or anyother online etc thing.... i just want to play the game and save and load from the place where i saved....

Welcome to 2008.

Touch luck. A lot more ppl would have complained if the save system was dumbed down to accommodate picky players. the point of this game is CHALLENGE. if u complain about challenge in this game, its as if u picked up an RPG and complained that it has no FPS.

Welcome to Devil may Cry.
---
CrappyArtistTumte.deviantart.com/gallery
#26PattHpapongPosted 7/28/2008 1:09:53 PM
lol my bad *tough* luck
---
CrappyArtistTumte.deviantart.com/gallery
#27haxomgwtfbbqPosted 7/28/2008 2:23:54 PM
Omfg, it's the same damn save system that's been around since Devil May Cry 1, except they actually MADE IT EASIER by taking out the yellow orbs and giving you unlimited continues. In DMC1 you only had a certain amount of chances to beat the boss and after that you were back to the start of the mission. As for saving your items, that's utter nonsense. That would make it so all you had to do was stock up on items to beat the boss. This way you actually have to practice the boss fight, and THEN use your items. And if you think Devil May Cry is bad, in Ninja Gaiden save points could be an hour apart and right before the next save point they would throw out a new enemy you had never fought before and you would get slaughtered and lose everything you accomplished in the last hour--that's why I hated Ninja Gaiden. Quit whining, action games are not supposed to use quick saves, they're supposed to give you a challenge.
#28fedejicoPosted 7/29/2008 11:30:23 AM
The saving system isn't dumb at all. It's an absolutely conscious game design choice. It's an extremely punishing save system, which is only possible on such a high quality title -otherwise you'd be talking commercial suicide here. It takes a team of brave designers to come up with such a system in such a mainstream franchise -it's actually a pretty brave move, if you ask me. But then,challenge is one of DMC selling points.

You may say you don't like the saving system, and no one can argue with that. But the saving system is as necessary a part of DMC as the combo system is. Change it in favor of a more user-friendly saving system, and much of the franchise unique personality will be lost.

I've just bought DMC4. I chose Devil Hunter difficulty for my first DMC4 playthrough ever. Even being a seasoned DMC3 SE player (I've finished DMC3 SE on Dante Must Die difficulty) fighting bosses with a dwarfed single-line life bar, no DT, no Air Hike and a very short Devil Bringer is excruciatingly tough. Berial took about four to five tries -that was easy. The next big bad boss (no spoilers) took almost twice that. That's the whole point of DMC: insanely tough challenges-and chances are that's how you'll finally like it, too.
#29hammudyPosted 7/29/2008 12:40:15 PM
go to youtube & search for the making of dmc4 and there the guy explains in jap ( with sub titles in eng ) that they willingly kept the same save system of previous DMC's coz they know that mastering the skills of DMc is kids play and quick save would just kill the fun completly.

he also added that he wanted the player to be in each fights till it lasts to leave a mark ( as of how much fun or toughness u felt beating it ) and fit in the shoes of nero/dante by the time they finish the game, making em a pro which i think is a very good reason to explain it.

and if u still have a hard time to beat the game...there are a few trainers around, use em and be like the others who give up all the fun just for the sake of finishing the game.

PS- am not flaming u...just my opinon to ur claim :)