How does the armor changing/modding work?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. How does the armor changing/modding work?
3 years ago#1
4 Qs regarding armor

1) When you get an armor piece, you can then get a special gem or stone or something to change the appearance of the armor while keeping the stats? Is this correct?

2) So if i am in elementalist,i can have armor that looks like something a warrior would wear or are there limitations?

3) Also when changing the appearance,you also have the option to change the color of the armor,or does that require another stone or something?

4) So i can wear armor i get at lv 1 and still wear it at lv 80. Any downside to this or just preference in style?

So pretty much no one should look the same in game (unless the popular looking pieces). I think if i got the concept right,it sounds to be a really unique feature to this game.
---
no sig
3 years ago#2
1) They're called Transmutation Stones. You can buy them through the cash shop or earn them just by playing the game (cash shop is just the 'easy' way).

2) Each professions has their own armor style. An example of this is Heritage Armor. It's a set you get as a reward in the Hall of Monuments for playing Guild Wars 1. The Herigtage Armor has a different look entirely based on light, medium, and heavy armor categories. You will never be able to make an Elementalist look like a Warrior. Your armor will be unique depending on your profession and your race. Charr armor is different from human, sylvari is different from those, Asura, etc.

3) You start the game with a limited selection of dye available. Stones are not needed for this. EVERY piece of armor and weapon will have at least 3 different. sections that can be dyed. There are hundreds of dye colors. As you play through the game you will find dyes. Finding a dye will permanently unlock that color for your usage in the future. Usage of dye is unlimited so go nuts.

4) There is no downside, and you are correct. If you find an armor set you like at level 1 and want to wear it at level 80, you may do so. Furthermore, the game is more like Guild Wars 1 than other MMOs in the way that gear stats aren't important. Once you hit level 80 and get level 80 gear stats, it doesn't increase anymore. From that point on it comes down to looking for rare armor skins and weapons that appeal to you. The stats on the armor won't change. Just the looks.
(edited 0 seconds ago)
3 years ago#3
TDragon777 posted...
4 Qs regarding armor

1) When you get an armor piece, you can then get a special gem or stone or something to change the appearance of the armor while keeping the stats? Is this correct?

You'll be able to use transmutation stones to keep the look of one piece of armor and the stats of another.

2) So if i am in elementalist,i can have armor that looks like something a warrior would wear or are there limitations?

The armor has to be the same type which probably means you can't transmute elementalist (scholar) armor with warrior (soldier) armor.

3) Also when changing the appearance,you also have the option to change the color of the armor,or does that require another stone or something?

This requires dye. An individual piece of armor has 3 different channels for different colors.

4) So i can wear armor i get at lv 1 and still wear it at lv 80. Any downside to this or just preference in style?

If you transmute your good stat armor with your lvl 1 armor than there won't be a downside.

So pretty much no one should look the same in game (unless the popular looking pieces). I think if i got the concept right,it sounds to be a really unique feature to this game.

Pretty much.

Refer to this article: http://www.arena.net/blog/a-rewarding-experience-john-hargrove-talks-about-loot
3 years ago#4
Thanks that cleared up alot for me.

So armor will be divided between light,medium,heavy and also race selection? So if im a human,i cant wear charr looking armor and vice versa even thought were both warriors? Just want to make sure i got that right.
---
no sig
3 years ago#5
TDragon777 posted...
Thanks that cleared up alot for me.

So armor will be divided between light,medium,heavy and also race selection? So if im a human,i cant wear charr looking armor and vice versa even thought were both warriors? Just want to make sure i got that right.

To be specific:

You can wear the same armor set as a Charr if you're a human, it just takes on a different look. All races and classes can wear the Heritage set I mentioned above, but it automatically changes depending on your look. I'm not sure if armor is customized to your character or not in this one. But if it isn't I would assume you could take the armor off your human, dump it into storage, then make a Charr and use that same armor set for him. It will just look different.
3 years ago#6
There are racial armor as well as armor class armor. So a human warrior can wear heavy armor like all warriors or human exclusive armor. The majority of armor will be armor class related though.
3 years ago#7
cool stuff,thanks all,i appreciate it,this is such a cool feature!
---
no sig
3 years ago#8
it's not at least three it's up to three colors. most things do have three color options, mainly chest and leg armor. a few shoulder and glove armor can have as few as two color options. rarely, shoes can have only a single color option.
3 years ago#9
Dark_Eboreus posted...
it's not at least three it's up to three colors. most things do have three color options, mainly chest and leg armor. a few shoulder and glove armor can have as few as two color options. rarely, shoes can have only a single color option.

Nope, some pieces have more then 3 channels. Usually pieces that cover multiple slots. Read Kristen Perry's blog on dyes.
---
Peace!
3 years ago#10
Or perhaps, how about a video demonstration from the last beta. I know you've already been answered but seeing it in action might add something else. I'm pretty sure some of your questions are answered in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fan8dbzWEYU#t=241s
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. How does the armor changing/modding work?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived