So i got really bored waiting and tried the WoW Lv 20 demo....

#31lostnPosted 5/30/2012 6:48:50 AM
"2. 15 hours into WoW toon = 100 fetch quests / 15 hours into GW2 character = 5 or 10 fetch quests, but also the choice in how i want to participate in the majority of them."

Come on, let's not exagerrate. You didn't do 100 fetch quests in 15 hours (that's 6 of them an hour). 5 or 10 is about right, so it's comparable to GW2.

You're comparing a game that came out 8 years ago to one that hasn't released yet. One of course is going to be more evolved than the other. Keep that in context.
#32FdshadowPosted 5/30/2012 8:30:20 AM(edited)
WoW is just a glorified skinner box, everything in that game is made to force you to come back for more without understanding exactly why, treating customers like cattle running in circles waiting for their next monthly payment.

From the endless PvE -and- PvP grinds to the flawed luck-based loot system, to how you're punished by not playing enough and having your equipment made obsolete and how gear clearly outperforms skill, allowing bad players to steamroll someone better that didn't spend hundreds of hours being killed in one hit.

It doesn't even try to hide it anymore; the next expansion is a hundred percent arse-pulled, there's no lore left to kill, and it shows. It still uses the outdated Healer/Tank/DPS model which is no longer fun, and the engine is so ancient that recent computers make it crash by performing actions it deems impossible, such as rendering an entire continent at once.

The good news is that I'm seeing less and less WoW players, the game's appeal is running out. Those still enthralled by it tends to bring out the community aspect ('I have a guild of friends, I don't want to let them down') instead of the game itself when it comes to justifying not moving on, which is great!
#33trowabartanPosted 5/30/2012 9:23:58 AM
I agree with what others have said, you replayed entry content repeatedly...you will bore yourself doing that with any game. Combat is actually really fun but some classes take awhile to get the skills(IIRC destroyed locks don't get incinerate till tbc and don't get chaos bolt til wrath). If you had went ahead with playing the full game you'd probably be still enjoying it.

Can't wait to see you posting that you're bored of gw2 by the 3rd stress test :p
---
All I want is what any man would want, a drink, a woman and a bit of gambling not necessarily in any given order - Mat Cauthon
#34CruxisInhibitor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2012 8:25:22 PM
trowabartan posted...
I agree with what others have said, you replayed entry content repeatedly...you will bore yourself doing that with any game. Combat is actually really fun but some classes take awhile to get the skills(IIRC destroyed locks don't get incinerate till tbc and don't get chaos bolt til wrath). If you had went ahead with playing the full game you'd probably be still enjoying it.

Can't wait to see you posting that you're bored of gw2 by the 3rd stress test :p

Already know GW2 will entertain me for years to come, i played GW1 for 5 years and always thought the content was worthwhile, unlike WoW with all fetch quests and little if any story direction.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#35VoxwikPosted 5/30/2012 11:05:43 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize an RPG's battle system for not being action oriented because that's just a matter of preference. I'm sure the more action-oriented style of GW2 will put off some people too.

I do like what I'm reading about this game actually doing things differently than the typical MMORPG formula (which is older than WoW).
#36SolaceIXPosted 5/31/2012 2:06:50 AM
I don't like WoW nearly as much as even GW1. However, I have to give credit where credit is due.

The game really did put MMOs on the map for a long time to come. After all, if losing 3 million subs still leaves you over 10 million players, the game just cannot be all suck. If SEVERAL other MMOs are actually just clones of WoW, it couldn't have been that horrible. It did some things right, I'm sure of that.

I just can't see myself paying a monthly fee and feeling obligated to have fun. Or wondering if I did enough for what I paid.
---
"Outside of FPS games, the PC really doesn't have ANYTHING." - Friends, gotta love 'em!
#37VoxwikPosted 5/31/2012 4:05:14 PM
WoW may deserve some credit but it didn't invite the genre either. Even Everquest wasn't the first, and I believe that was the most successful one before WoW.

I think it's much like the credit FFVII gets. It wasn't the first RPG to do many of the things it gets praised for, but it was the first to succeed so amazingly well, much like WoW not inventing the genre but being a smashing success as well.
#38lostnPosted 6/1/2012 3:29:00 AM
Voxwik posted...
WoW may deserve some credit but it didn't invite the genre either. Even Everquest wasn't the first, and I believe that was the most successful one before WoW.

I think it's much like the credit FFVII gets. It wasn't the first RPG to do many of the things it gets praised for, but it was the first to succeed so amazingly well, much like WoW not inventing the genre but being a smashing success as well.

What WoW did was combine all the elements that made other MMOs "successful" into one neat little package and getting rid of things that weren't good. That combination kept people coming back for more. It didn't do anything new, but it set a new standard as a model for others to copy.

It did away with level grinds and it sped up the leveling to make casual players feel like they really accomplished something instead of pushing them away. It might be the first MMO to have quests take you from lv 1 to max without you needing to stay in one place and farm mobs for XP.

What it did extremely well was always dangle a carrot in front of you, so that with every level up there was always something close to work toward on the horizon. Each level would come quickly so you'd fall into this endless cycle of "I'll just play a little bit longer", and this worked very well with the casual audience, whom without them they could not possibly reach 13 million subscribers. End game also gave the hardcore raiders a lot to keep themselves busy with. IMO, WoW had the best raids of any MMO I'd played, at least pre-BC. I never played BC and onwards so I can't comment.

Blizzard deserves credit for perfecting this recipe even if we are bored of what WoW has to offer now.

Even with the exodus of players, they still own the market. No one comes close.

WoW's success was no fluke. Blizzard did their research and ticked all the boxes they needed to take over the market. I personally don't care for the game, but it's very clear why the game is as big as it is.