Why Guild Wars 2 teleport/map travel system?

#1Cobra1010Posted 10/12/2010 5:25:32 AM
After a quick flick through the Guildmag, i looked at some pictures of the maps. It seems like the map will be like Guild Wars 1. This could mean that, even though we have jump and swim, there will still be areas we cant reach. Like tall mountains, cliffs and canyons. Other mmorpg has fly which let u get any where in the game world but GW2 will not have fly. This would mean that we'd have to walk around things a lot of time.

So this could be bad news for those who want to discover the map entirely (unblurring the whole map). It seems like even with jump, instead of invisible boundary walls, we'll just have really steep slops and walls we cant jump-climb.

I guess if what i said above is true, no one will be against their teleport/map travelsystem. But i really hope im wrong, i hope that nothing in the game is steep enough for us to climb to explore the map entirely. At least i hope there will be secret paths leading to those places.
#2darkjedilinkPosted 10/12/2010 8:21:49 AM
The map is not like GW1. It's open and seamless, and according to a dev, there are very few places you can't go. They explicitly point out climbing a mountain as something that is wholly encouraged.
---
It sure would be fun to be Kirk. I'd Judo chop and ask questions later.
Cerberus Task Force website: http://cerberustaskforce.webs.com
#3sgtlumpyPosted 10/12/2010 7:23:42 PM
If I climb a mountain though, I want to be able to fall slowly to the ground. Though, a splat would be great too. :)
---
"Those darned crickets! I can't hear the pin dropping any more. "
-Empyre
#4MiteshuPosted 10/12/2010 7:46:11 PM
You still have to travel to that area in order to get that teleport area.

Exploring is fun for the first/second/third time, but it is never fun for the 100th time.