Interview with Eric Flannum (explaining the silence)

#11darksoulpriestPosted 11/17/2010 9:57:57 PM

Not much more. It's only confirmed for certain Ranger pets and the Ranger him/herself.

cry some more. don't pretend it doesn't hurt you a lot that stealth is in this game, after you were vehemently saying that ANet would never put stealth in and that it would make GW2 fail. and then don't try to minimize your shame by saying it's only for Rangers.

---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#12XialohPosted 11/17/2010 10:45:08 PM
I'm a little of tired MMOs trying to implement "stealth." I love stealth games. Stealth-action is my favorite genre, in fact, but I have never been a fan of just turning invisible. It is so lame to me. I prefer the stealth challenge to come from having to carefully watch a guard's head movement to determine his field of vision and then to silently sneak up from behind. Obviously, that type of play doesn't lend itself well too an MMO, but the turning invisible effect is just so lame and overused. It doesn't make me feel stealthy.

Okay, I know GW2 will probably make it more fun than the way it has been implemented in other MMOs, so I will withhold further judgement.

MMO gamers playing in third person make what you're describing relatively impossible. Near invisibility is the only viable option. Maybe Anet will make stealthed players slightly distorted yet still transparent, and more distorted as they get close..

---
"A teacher told me to write you a letter telling you that I said ****. Well **** her, she doesn't know what the **** even happened." - A 2nd Grader
#13stemarePosted 11/18/2010 12:49:09 AM
I'm a little of tired MMOs trying to implement "stealth." I love stealth games. Stealth-action is my favorite genre, in fact, but I have never been a fan of just turning invisible. It is so lame to me.

I disagree, for example the spy in team fortress 2 is not lame. Instead it's the most tactical and difficult class.

---
Devoted to Flying Spaghetti Monster
#14TaijouroukunPosted 11/18/2010 1:13:59 AM
i'm with GreenGold33 on stealth. not saying you can't have fun mechanics of invisibility. but stealth is only cool when it's realistic; that you don't have any special/super power, but with your own humanly skills (not the player's skill, but lore-wise), you sneak through a heavily guard fortress or do whatever it is you are set out to do. the notion of being invisible is just so... deus ex machina. so even if the mechanic is fun, invisibility is still lame.
#15supertoasterzPosted 11/18/2010 2:55:43 AM
Stealth in third person is possible, just because you can see you, doesn't mean others can see you.

Also, from the way it works, it sounds like it's going to be a "hide in plain sight" kind of thing. Makes me think (again) of MGS4 and his tac suit which would auto change it's camo depending on whatever surface you were hugging (provided you stay still for a second). Between it being some utility skill and only working while standing still, I'mma guess it's gonna work kind of in the same way.

I apologize for any poor grammar, spellings, etc.... that's bound to be in that. I'm not even certain it makes sense. My mind is not in its right place right now.
---
Best served with butter.
PSN: GianToyDethmatch
#16darkjedilinkPosted 11/18/2010 10:43:30 AM
Wow, DSP. I totally admit I was wrong in my first post, and APOLOGIZE, and you still need to rage. Is there nothing good in your life, or what?
---
It sure would be fun to be Kirk. I'd Judo chop and ask questions later.
Cerberus Task Force website: http://cerberustaskforce.webs.com
#17GreenGold33Posted 11/18/2010 11:49:06 AM

MMO gamers playing in third person make what you're describing relatively impossible. Near invisibility is the only viable option.

I know. That's my point. I'm tired of non-stealth games trying to implement stealth mechanics that are just plain not fun or stealthy. They just don't belong. You can't even call it stealth gameplay. It doesn't provide the same sensation of fun that stealth games do, and non-stealth games always throw in this invisibility mechanic as just an extra thing you can do, even though the game's AI isn't designed the way it should be to provide a fun stealth challenge (i.e. Dungeon and Dragons Online and World of Warcraft). The demands of fun stealth mechanics just don't fit into MMOs, but maybe GW2 will surprise me. I was going to play a ranger anyways, so I'll give it a chance.

I disagree, for example the spy in team fortress 2 is not lame. Instead it's the most tactical and difficult class

The spy is very fun in TF2, but his gameplay is so tactical because of his invisibility, his one hit kill backstab, and his ability to use disguise. His stealthiness comes from all around trickery, not just one invisibility mechanic. Valve put a lot of thought into that class, whereas other games will just throw in the invisibility effect. The spy is an welcomed exception, and I hope GW2 will be as creative.

#18darksoulpriestPosted 11/18/2010 2:04:46 PM

Wow, DSP. I totally admit I was wrong in my first post, and APOLOGIZE, and you still need to rage. Is there nothing good in your life, or what?

I guess I need to apologize about my ranting against stealth since it's confirmed. It's just funny that it's confirmed for RANGERS!

bolded the part you need to l2read more carefully. you didn't apologize, you just said you needed to.

my life is very good. i just get a kick out of making you mad.

---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#19darksoulpriestPosted 11/18/2010 2:05:15 PM
also tf2 spies aren't tactical. they're only good when the other team is bad.

---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#20darkjedilinkPosted 11/23/2010 6:18:49 AM
You didn't make me mad, DSP. You just made me wonder what kind of a world you live in.
---
It sure would be fun to be Kirk. I'd Judo chop and ask questions later.
Cerberus Task Force website: http://cerberustaskforce.webs.com