Is this game a grind like other MMORPGs?

#11supertoasterzPosted 12/17/2010 3:29:53 AM
I was actually thinking the main FAQ should be broken down into several stickies relating to each section

Sticky: Guild Wars 2 FAQ: Release Day - When It's Ready (explained)
Sticky: Guild Wars 2 FAQ: The Game Is Free to Play (or rather Buy to Play)
etc...
---
Best served with butter.
PSN: GianToyDethmatch
#12Cobra1010Posted 12/17/2010 9:39:06 AM
If everyone reads the stickies, there is no need for topic creation. Questions like when do you think this game is coming out is actually off topic.
#13AetossPosted 12/17/2010 5:07:51 PM

This game is WAAAYYY anti-grind, making it to max level is not as important because of the sidekicking system. I of course will play enough that I will reach max level but it is not a rush like it is in other games, their games are made to be fun from start to finish and you should go at your own pace to enjoy your experience to the fullest.

The game is trying to strike a great balance between your personal story and social event-based gameplay, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

GW2 flies in the face of a lot of dearly held MMO mentalities which will be difficult for some people to adapt to and for some likely impossible. A lot of players out there, including some of my own friends, are stuck with task-list mentalities and for those people I don't think GW2 will be their cup of tea.

Personally, I think this game will fit my play style much better than just about any game out there but only time will tell. GW2 is NOT centered around getting gear, reaching max level, questing, or doing things over and over again. GW2 is a game where you are actually rewarded for exploring and adventuring as opposed to most other games out there that make such activities something to be looked down upon.

#14TaijouroukunPosted 12/17/2010 7:18:52 PM
"I was actually thinking the main FAQ should be broken down into several stickies relating to each section

Sticky: Guild Wars 2 FAQ: Release Day - When It's Ready (explained)
Sticky: Guild Wars 2 FAQ: The Game Is Free to Play (or rather Buy to Play)"

agree, except i'd word it "the release date is not set" and "the game has no monthly fee."

the current faq is just a big ass tl;dr topic. i appreciate orion taking the time and writing it up, but nobody will read that just like nobody read the tos when they sign up for things. and even worse, he, nor anyone else, has the authority to force anyone to read the sticky.
#15Crimson PhantomPosted 12/24/2010 11:59:24 AM
Yeah totally not a grind game... being said you reach max level easily and then its about grinding abilities which is a grind part...

but you only grind for the ones you want to use

---
The beginning of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end, and the end of every place.
#16GreenGold33Posted 12/24/2010 4:30:09 PM

Ever heard the saying, "It's not about the destination; it's about the journey,"?

Well most MMOs put to much emphasis on the destination. It's always about getting the best level, armor, weapons, money, and after a lot of people have gotten all the best stuff then the devs need to make an update or expansion with new best armor and level caps so that people still have more to do. The process of actually getting this stuff is usually boring–a grind. The journey sucks, but the game makes you feel like you need to survive the tedium to get to the meaningless destination.

Even Guild Wars 1 was guilty of this (titles), but Guild Wars 2 is finally trying to break the cycle. So yeah, no grind. GW2 is supposed to be about having fun just playing the game from moment to moment and feeling rewarded for it. So the idea is that the journey will be fun.