Ranger pet question

#1TDragon777Posted 1/21/2012 12:01:30 PM
Sorry never played GW and im used to pets from either WOW and Warhammer. How will GW2 implement pets?

From what i hear,you'll only get 2 land and 2 aquatic pets which is cool. Question is, once i choose the pets,am i stuck with them the whole game or can i swap the 2 i chose earlier for different pets?

Pretty much what im asking is if its like WOW in the sense that i can just switch/get new pets whenever or is this like once i choose my pets from the start,i cant go back?

Personally i would like to just choose 2 from the start and no swapping.
---
CF code: 2623-4882-3468 Town: Yavin Name: Antonio
#2Master_x0xPosted 1/21/2012 12:11:46 PM(edited)
You choose the pet you want to start with when you create your character(different for each race), once you get more pets, by charming juvenile version of the animal, you can switch them whenever you want. You can switch back to your previous pet after the cooldown.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Animal_companion
#3FonyPosted 1/21/2012 12:09:54 PM
in the sense that i can just switch/get new pets whenever

yep.
---
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/gromtor/logo-1.jpg
#4TDragon777(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2012 12:13:17 PM
awww oh well,i like commitments in mmos,not just having the chance to switch back whenever,not a big deal tho
---
#5Master_x0xPosted 1/21/2012 12:18:12 PM
TDragon777 posted...
awww oh well,i like commitments in mmos,not just having the chance to switch back whenever,not a big deal tho

Well nobody forces you to switch pets if you don't want to, but having multiple pets seems like an important part to the Ranger gameplay.
#6GrimlimPosted 1/21/2012 2:55:43 PM

TDragon777 posted...
---

This makes no sense to me.. You still have to commit, i think. Dont take my word on it but i dont think u get a pet bank. You have to charm the pets you want, so if you have a lion and a chicken, and you want a pelican, you will have to replace one of your old pets for the new one.

Any can confirm whether im right or wrong? this is how it was in gw1 iirc.

#7Witch ElfPosted 1/21/2012 3:30:42 PM
Grimlim posted...

This makes no sense to me.. You still have to commit, i think. Dont take my word on it but i dont think u get a pet bank. You have to charm the pets you want, so if you have a lion and a chicken, and you want a pelican, you will have to replace one of your old pets for the new one.Any can confirm whether im right or wrong? this is how it was in gw1 iirc.

Whenever you get one pet of a species, all pets of that species are unlocked. If you capture a brown bear, for example, you can use a polar bear, black bear, etc.

That's what it was last time I heard.

They may change it before release (like with everything else). Also, some of the rarer pets may require other aspects, like maybe special holiday events (Jingle Moa, for example) or quests (such as the Black Moa in GW1).

Also, some pet skins require you to get them by way of the Hall of Monuments (like the Black Moa skin).
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness
#8LizardneckPosted 1/21/2012 3:36:05 PM(edited)

This makes no sense to me.. You still have to commit, i think. Dont take my word on it but i dont think u get a pet bank. You have to charm the pets you want, so if you have a lion and a chicken, and you want a pelican, you will have to replace one of your old pets for the new one.

Regarding the GW2 portion of your post:
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-development-update-by-jon-peters

Charming a species unlocks that species for you, allowing you to equip that species into any pet slot whenever you are out of combat. In Guild Wars 2, a single ranger can collect and use every type of pet in the game without having to worry about stables or leveling the pets from scratch.

Regarding the GW1 portion:
GW1 has the Zaishen Menagerie which let you register different pets. Registering them unlocked them at their current tier (level and evolution) and below. If you wanted to swap pets without charming another one in the wild, you could return to the menagerie and charm whichever ones you'd registered at whichever tier you'd unlocked. So if you'd registered a max level polar bear with the hearty evolution, dropped it for another pet, and decided later you wanted the polar bear again. Instead of taming another level 5 one and leveling it all over again, you could go to the menagerie and tame a max level one with either the hearty, dire, elder, aggressive, or playful evolution since registering the hearty evolution unlocks all of them.

So in a sense, both GW1 and GW2 allow you to collect every pet, and swap to any pet you've unlocked easily. Just GW1 has evolutions, requires you to go to the menagerie to register and swap, and has the pet level separately from you, while GW2 doesn't.

Whenever you get one pet of a species, all pets of that species are unlocked. If you capture a brown bear, for example, you can use a polar bear, black bear, etc.

You're thinking family. The species is unlocked, not the family.
#9GrimlimPosted 1/21/2012 4:15:09 PM

Lizardneck posted...

Regarding the GW2 portion of your post:
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-development-update-by-jon-peters

Charming a species unlocks that species for you, allowing you to equip that species into any pet slot whenever you are out of combat. In Guild Wars 2, a single ranger can collect and use every type of pet in the game without having to worry about stables or leveling the pets from scratch.

Regarding the GW1 portion:
GW1 has the Zaishen Menagerie which let you register different pets. Registering them unlocked them at their current tier (level and evolution) and below. If you wanted to swap pets without charming another one in the wild, you could return to the menagerie and charm whichever ones you'd registered at whichever tier you'd unlocked. So if you'd registered a max level polar bear with the hearty evolution, dropped it for another pet, and decided later you wanted the polar bear again. Instead of taming another level 5 one and leveling it all over again, you could go to the menagerie and tame a max level one with either the hearty, dire, elder, aggressive, or playful evolution since registering the hearty evolution unlocks all of them.

So in a sense, both GW1 and GW2 allow you to collect every pet, and swap to any pet you've unlocked easily. Just GW1 has evolutions, requires you to go to the menagerie to register and swap, and has the pet level separately from you, while GW2 doesn't.

You're thinking family. The species is unlocked, not the family.

Whoa was it always like that? cus i played gw1 for 3 years and had a lvl 20 pve ranger and didnt know that.

Either way, that isnt a bad thing imo. I dont see why you would want to be limited like that to where you can only have 2 pets forever. Being like "oh im a lvl 80 ranger now and i want a polar bear instead of this snow leopard, guess i have to reroll and get to lvl 80 again." Unless im mistaking what you are saying about keeping the same pets.

#10LizardneckPosted 1/22/2012 12:30:27 AM

Whoa was it always like that? cus i played gw1 for 3 years and had a lvl 20 pve ranger and didnt know that.

It was added in the 4th year anniversary update. So it's been in the game for nearly three years now.